Jackson Removed From Hobbit?

Túrin Turambar

Post#1 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:12 pm

If I misplaced this thread and it should be in a different section, sorry.

The latest news item on PT's home link concerning Peter Jackson being revoked the right to direct "The Hobbit", well umm, concerns me! http://www.planet-tolkien.com/news/article_276.

In my opinion Tolkien's LOTR and Jackson's LOTR are the same basic story, with similar background plots, but in an essence it's like comparing a Ford truck vs Chevy... Very similar but yet so different.

Don't get me wrong, no one else could have done it better or even near as good, for that matter, because the books are quite extensive in detail and length, in order to make the movie exactly like the book, the movies would have to be like 6 hours each and that's just too long for your average audience to sit through. The LOTR were a smash at the box offices thanks to Jackson and i bet if they throw a new director in the chair for "The Hobbit" It will not meet expectations...

Since Jackson has basically modified the LOTR story wouldn't you think it'd be for the best if he continued with this prequel and stuck to his same modifications? Or could you magically turn The Hobbit, word for word, into a movie without modifying the story like Jackson has to for LOTR? It's definitely not as complicated but since Jackson has already basically mastered filming Middle Earth I'd think it's best you hand the torch back to the master.

Basically i think this whole conundrum comes down to one word.... GREED, on both sides of the party that is. Is 200 million not enough Mr. Jackson? Can't you spare the extra few million New Line Cinema?

I hope they can sort this out and they let Jackson get back to what he does best so we can see a solid prequel for the solid trilogy, but only time will tell i guess.

virumor

Post#2 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:14 am

I think New Line will place "The Hobbit" into the refrigerator, until they find a less greedy director.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

maydmarion

Post#3 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:31 am

Not too up on the news but I had heard that Peter Jackson still hasn't been paid for LOTR...is this the case?

In a book by Sean Austin, he was told the amount he was to be paid for the film and he thought well that times 3 films Ok, then was told that the amount was for all three, inclusive.

But I suppose all that happens after is a reward.....publicity, royalties,......!

As for watching 6 hours for each film....bring it on, I'm game for it....lol :hahaha:

Túrin Turambar

Post#4 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Maydmarion
Not too up on the news but I had heard that Peter Jackson still hasn't been paid for LOTR...is this the case?

I'd be very surprised if that were the case, Peter Jackson's could file a huge lawsuit against New Line Cinema that is the last thing they'd want, it would be ALL over the media, and us being LOTR fans would have heard about it.

Even part about the mix up with all 3 films combined total pay sounds a little far fetched to me. If he has a proper lawyer who actually went to law school, instead of clown school, the lawyer's job is suppose to go over the contract and let his client know exactly what's up. If there was any confusion on that part of the situation, it would or at least SHOULD have been disputed before he signed the dotted line, and read the fine print.

Ereinion

Post#5 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:19 am

It got my vote

Etharion

Post#6 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:14 pm

A petition....hmmm...Sounds good.....

sorongil sulandune

Post#7 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm not sure if u know , but there is a boycot of the New Line Cinema Products by the Tolkien fans worldwide ,so if u agree with the reasons of the petittion do sign in and lets all together try to make Hobbit work.......

u can sign the petittion here.......

mwolt

Post#8 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:25 pm

Quick question. What book are they using for the Prequel?

grondmaster

Post#9 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Nobody knows, unless Lucas has an unused Ewok script that can be modified to fit Tolkien's diminutive race of Middle-earth. :teacher:
'Share and enjoy'

Túrin Turambar

Post#10 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Mwolt
Quick question. What book are they using for the Prequel?

What do you mean? I thought are planning to to make The Hobbit in a film.... It is a prelude to LOTR after all...

Oh ya i did my part and signed that petition, everyone here should take 1 minute out of their time and sign it all, that is if they agree with us.

CLICK HERE to sign the petition!

Return to “General Discussion”