Jackson Removed From Hobbit?

halbard

Post#51 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Vir, I'll have to go back and watch Dune again; saw it several years ago. He would have the right mindset of recreating a literary world since he did Dune. Leelee, the New Zealand landscape is just perfect for ME. Can't imagine another location that offers so much so close together. One point in favor of the Hobbit and prequel is that New Line has seen the profitability of high end ME movies. They have the resources to do a good job and support the director.

leelee

Post#52 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:05 pm

I confess I have neither watched Dune, nor have any clue as to what it is about. (blush blush)
As for New Zealand, as silly as this sounds, I think it has something magical about it that lends itself perfectly, and I mean perfectly to the particular world that JRR created. It seems as if the two were made with each other in mind.

virumor

Post#53 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:13 pm

I confess I have neither watched Dune, nor have any clue as to what it is about. (blush blush)

Imo, whilst The lord of the rings by J.R.R. Tolkien is the quintessential work of fantasy fiction, the Dune saga by Frank Herbert is the quintessential work of science fiction. It's incredibly deep, as it deals with politics, religion, eugenics, sociology, morality, ecology,... but above all it's just a wonderfully crafted masterpiece of human imagination.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Post#54 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:49 pm

I agree, to me the universe of the Dune saga is much more involved than either of those of the Star Wars series, Star Trek series; or even the Foundation saga.
'Share and enjoy'

Túrin Turambar

Post#55 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm

The Hobbit is an incredibly different book from LoTR, in many ways.

The Hobbit is directed to a completely different crowd and the tone of the story is uncomparable to LOTR. However it is still based in ME and involves a few of the same characters. I believe that if The Hobbit it should be almost an exact replica of the book (unlike LOTR it can be done because it is much shorter and less complicated.) Although if The Hobbit is created into a movie it will be based on the same characteristics as LOTR and not sugar coated for children, as The Hobbit was originally written for. You can definitly expect the same amount of violence and gore as LOTR.

Obviously they should keep the setting of the movie in New Zealand, to change it would be uncalled for. Although British Columbia, Canada would be my 2nd choice if there was any other option for ME. Mountains, huge forests, the Pacific Ocean, lakes, plains, ect... everything they need at their disposal.

As for Dune I've never read the books nor watched the movies, however, I have heard of it. I recall them even making a computer game based on it, and the funny thing is I think i played it but it's been so long ago now I can't be positive.

leelee

Post#56 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey Turin, hope you are doing well.
I live in British Columbia and it is true that on the coast you can have all that. But somehow, in my opinion, it does not have that same magical look or feel to it. It just seems so either wilder in the mountainous areas or too civilized and almost Hollywood any of the other places.
Well then, I will watch Dune. I won't get freaked out will I and have to hide u nder the bed for the first week when the sun goes down? (shivers)

Túrin Turambar

Post#57 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Ya i'm doing pretty good actually leelee. I always thought you were from Russia or some Eastern Europe Country.

Leelee
...I live in British Columbia...

I live in BC Too!!! Powell River to be exact. I saw you meantion something about Squamish and i presumes it was also the name of another city else where.

grondmaster

Post#58 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I live about 130 miles south of Squamish BC and about 13 miles south of Suquamish WA, and a tad bit to the west of both.
'Share and enjoy'

Sian

Post#59 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:02 pm

You're all very fortunate, the Pacific northwest is so Beautiful! Its the one area that I have lived that I would be happy to go back to (I lived in Portland, OR)...

grondmaster

Post#60 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Meanwhile, back to the Hobbit Movie, where Peter Jackson doesn't seem to be in line for the job of Director.....
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “General Discussion”