Tolkien's Expectations

Túrin Turambar

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Do you think Tolkien could ever imagine his creation becoming so popular and surpassing all his expectations?

It's safe to say that if Tolkien could look down upon us, and see how far his world has expanded and how many people it's reached, he'd be flabbergasted and utterly surprised how his work just exploded in popularity.

Although when he was still alive and could see how many people fell in love with his work do you think he was impressed with the response people had to his writings? After reading a few of his letters and such I believe The Hobbit and LOTR did better than he thought it would. However, not even in his wildest dreams could he imagine how it's still rapidly growing in popularity to this day.

virumor

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#2 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 am

It was already exceedingly popular during his lifetime, and especially amongst beatniks and hippies (the Beatles, even, were great Tolkien fans and were even thinking about making a movie about LOTR/The Hobbit themselves). JRRT had already experienced both sides of the medal : as people were constantly calling him at night, JRRT even had to change his telephone number.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#3 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:03 am

Virumor
JRRT even had to change his telephone number.

Hah now that is funny! J.R.R. 'Don't call me Hollywood' Tolkien.

grondmaster

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#4 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I don't think it is funny at all! I think is is sad that our mild mannered professor was hounded by his fans as the Hollywood stars and celebrities are hounded by the paparazzi.
'Share and enjoy'

Túrin Turambar

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#5 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 pm

hey i'm not one of those fans who even go out of their way to write a letter. At least when you become that popular for your work it's safe to say you're finacially secure... unless you go and do something silly. ;)

thranduil

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#6 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Financial security is irrelevant. To a man who found "bad" language offensive and who wrote of people with high morals, to be "adopted" by modern people with lower morals was probably disturbing to him.
It is ironic that many of Tolkien's fans are drug-using, unmarried social drop-outs, or Orc-minded individuals.

virumor

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#7 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:24 pm

It is ironic that many of Tolkien's fans are drug-using, unmarried social drop-outs, or Orc-minded individuals.

Yeah, just look at this site's membership...
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#8 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Thranduil

You also have to look at how the world has changed drastically since Tolkien wrote LOTR.... To sit there and point fingers at certain individuals, when society today helps play a big role in that. My friends weren't always the best role model for me, but i could say the same how i influenced them to do 'naughty' things, point being it works both ways.

Virumor
Yeah, just look at this site's membership...

That's probably along the lines of Orc-Minded. ;)

leelee

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#9 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:31 am

I t hink that Ronald loved all people;he hated certain ignoble attitudes and behaviours. But he was gentle and kind and understanding and always I think hoped for the very best .
The thing that grieves me for him is that he had so many years of troubles from publishers in other countries trying to completely change his story to fit their 'uneducated' understanding of what he was trying to do linguistically. It caused him so much pain of heart, wasted precious time he could have been spending on his wife and his friends and family.
He did become very well off and it was amazing to him. But he did not enjoy the money except to know that he could afford what he needed and a little of what he wanted. He delighted in using it to bless his family, his children, grandchildren.
But it availed him little joy , for as the world became more and more modern, the dreaded' machinery' was taking over, and he became antiquaited and out of touch with the bustling world he seemed to be very melancholy. Edith became more and more infirm and when she passed out of this world he was so alone and lost. And I remember the last entry in the Tolkien Letters book where he was doing a bit of travelling and recorded that he had lost his wallet and such, it seemed so incredibly painful. He just seemed to be existing.
And as for his work being appreciated the types of people you mention, what of it?It seems that those of his fellows who were so lofty minded and beyond educated were sadly not able to become children for a little and just 'believe.' Hippies , however sad, were at least searching and willing to look and see. Whatever the outside of people, we are all just children deep down. Those who can admit it as adults and live for a little with the wonder and excitement of a child being read a fantastic story to are really in my mind a compliment to an author who has worked so hard on building a fantasy world meant to be explored and enjoyed.
I dont drink, smoke or take drugs, but some of my relatives do and when they say they like my stories and I see happiness on their faces, I could cry. I feel honored.

Túrin Turambar

Tolkien's Expectations

Post#10 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:52 am

When i say finacially secure i don't mean you have to be filthy rich. I just mean you don't need to worry about money and have enough to live and not stress out. Which is what most people want I believe... To not have to worry about money to live within their means.

Leelee
I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, but some of my relatives do and when they say they like my stories and I see happiness on their faces, I could cry. I feel honored.

Exactly! it doesn't matter what type of crowd you can reach out to with your influence and stories, as long as you can reach out to people in positive ways. Just because someone, such as myself, does like to drink, smoke and occasionally take some illicit substances, recreational not habitual (anymore) doesn't mean I'm an evil person, in fact i'm overall a good guy at heart and show respect to others if they do the same to me.

Return to “General Discussion”