Tolkien's Love Triangles

cloveress

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:15 am

It seems to me, as I was just finishing off some old tales, that none of Tolkien's love triangles expect for the Aragorn-Arwen-Eowyn one ended in happiness. All the others were tragic, like the Turin-Nienor-Brandir, the Tuor-Idril-Maeglin, the Finwe-Indis-Miriel, the Turin-Finduilas-Gwindor etc.

Just thought that it would be interesting to point out, for obviously Tolkien favoured people of the Third Age more and made their days happier and less dark than the First Age.

virumor

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#2 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:23 am

Éowyn and Aragorn were not romantically involved, nor were Idril and Maeglin. These are not love triangles, but imaginary love and impossible love, respectively.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#3 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Leelee, you forgot the Daeron-Luthien-Beren, not to mention the spoiler in HP-7 :elfwink:

Most love triangles have one leg that is out of step: their love is one-way gaining only pain in return.
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#4 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:55 pm

One can only speak of love triangles when one person is torn by romantic feelings for two different persons.

Daeron loved Lúthien, but Lúthien did not love Daeron. Here we simply have a case of jealous spite as Lúthien's trust was betrayed by Daeron.

Loss

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#5 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Most love stories do have a sort of triangle, there's always one that has a secret love or just plainly an infactuation, otherwise most love stories or movies would not have the same impact... Is that what you mean Clover?

I suppose it's how you view it, as there can be different sorts of triangles, different situations of how the story pans out...you have equilateral, scalene...blah blah.... maths lingo..... blah blah blah

virumor

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#6 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Tuor-Idril-Maeglin ended happily, at any rate. The damsel in distress was saved by her noble champion and the evil knight utterly vanquished. Callooh! Callay!

cloveress

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#7 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:47 am

No, it didn't. Gondolin fell as a result of Maeglin's jealousy of Tuor and his lust for Idril. And I do think that Loss has grasped the idea well. I mean, not all love triangles have to have a person torn in heart between the two others. As Grondy said, a simple out-of-step character would suffice as the third point of te triangle. But if you are used to using using your terminology and definitions, then suit yourself. But here, we shall talk of all such cases of triangles.

And Grondy, did you mistake me for Leelee?

grondmaster

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#8 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:27 pm

And Grondy, did you mistake me for Leelee?
Obviously. If I can't remember which thread I'm supposed to be writing in, how can anyone expect me to remember whose post I'm replying to? I wish we had a forum where you could cursor up to the earlier posts while responding to one of them. I suppose I could open two tabs in each thread, like I have to do when its my Wheel of Tolkien, but that seems like such a lot of work. :tongueelf:
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#9 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Melkor-Varda-Manwë was the primordial "love triangle", it seems.

Varda scorned Melkor, causing him to draw back into the Void in tears, where after some brooding he emerged full of dark thoughts and caused much mayhem in Arda.

To make matters even more humiliating, Varda deliberately lived together with Melkor's brother Manwë, making the fiend even more fiendish.

I believe Celebrimbor-Galadriel-Celeborn was a love triangle too, according to UT.

leelee

Tolkien's Love Triangles

Post#10 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:06 pm

I too agree with Loss, there is no set formula to a love triangle really and that is what makes it so hard to hem in in terms of emotion and reason.
Oh well that is a relief that Grondy mistook you for me Cloveress, I thought I was having a relapse from my head injury. :)

Return to “General Discussion”