Poll: Two Hobbit movies in 3D?

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 am

In our Poll: 'Should they make the two new Hobbit movies in 3D?' Which did you chose and why?
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:01 am

:thumbdown: I voted against making the movies in 3D, because I feel in lieu of spending those funds to make them in 3D, they could use those funds to make even better movies. Of course they won't spend those extra funds, because they wouldn't be able to recoup them via the higher ticket prices that they seem to be able to charge for 3D movies.

Besides, being a wearer of eyeglasses, I hate those 3D glasses. I have watched neither "Coraline" nor "Avatar" in 3D, even though I own their 3D DVDs.
'Share and enjoy'

Fornad

Post#3 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 am

I voted 'No'.
While it worked for movies like Coraline and Avatar (since they both rely very heavily on computer imaging and therefore "3Ding" them added to their quality), doing the same to The Hobbit would detract from Tolkien's rich world in ways I can't describe (imagine the trilogy in 3D, and shudder). In my opinion, it would make them gimmicky and less of what they truly should be. Audiences would be focused more on when swords seem to flash out of the screen towards them (provoking lots of 'Ooohs' and 'Aaahs', I'm sure) and less on the actual story. End rant. :D

I agree with Grondy's point that the money spent on 3D could be spent to make a better film, though the thing about the 3D glasses might be solved by 2011-12. Screens have been developed that make viewing 3D possible without them, I think. ;)

gandalf-olorin

Post#4 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:33 pm

I voted No, and I agree with Grondy. The special effects are special enough--we don't need any other gimmicks. Maybe if they figure out how to take us to Middle Earth for real (ahem), I would consider it. But for a movie, leave it with CGI and great acting. Don't make the audience pay more than it can afford in this economy.

Gandalf

Snape

Post#5 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 am

:thumbdown:

odette

Post#6 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:33 am

I voted no.
As I am bespectacled I have a bad time holding onto my 3-D glasses.
It would just be in bad taste to make the movies in 3-D.Those who want thrills can play the 3-D games.I want the movies just as i read them and still love them.Simple but layered.

Fornad

Post#7 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:41 am

Somehow, the 'Yes' option is ahead of the 'No'. How did this happen? :shocked:

Or maybe we're just having a recurrence of the 'I want Ugluk to read LOTR to me' phenomenon. ;)

Amarië

Post#8 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 am

I want the movies just as i read them and still love them.Simple but layered.

Me too. I voted "no" too. Though I am sure the barrel ride and the eagles (not the band) etc etc would look awesome in 3D. I guess I am too worried what it would do to the story.

I am bespectacled too, but I have never had a problem with the 3D glasses since I have never seen a movie in 3D yet. ;)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

odette

Post#9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 am

@Fornad:Ugluk is a weird idea about reading one the LotR but I voted for Merry and Pippin so I guess I don't have much say.
@Amarie:Lucky you but I am surprised you didn't catch the marketing phenomenon called Avatar.You are definitely from Pandora:)

Amarië

Post#10 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 am

Odette, I have seen Avatar, but in our local cinema where 3D is not an option yet. :)
But it should have 3D available before the Hobbit is out, if they do decide to go for 3D. (And then I will wear my contacts instead of my glasses.)
"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Return to “General Discussion”