Talking Foxes

The Cheesey

Talking Foxes

Post#1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 pm

How come in TFOTR there is a talking fox. Since when did foxes talk, even in Tolkien? 

odette

Talking Foxes

Post#2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Where did you find the fox?In the movie?I don't recall any speaking animals from LotR.

rho

Talking Foxes

Post#3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Perhaps it was a nod to his friend C S Lewis.

galin

Talking Foxes

Post#4 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 am

The fox didn't actually speak in the book if I recall correctly, but the storyteller delves into what it's thinking... a nice enough device among tale-tellers, I think.

Generally there are speaking beasts in Tolkien's Subcreated World of course, but that's a different matter.

indecision

Thorin Oakenshield

Talking Foxes

Post#5 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:56 am

I agree with Galin, but there are quite a few beasts which speak in Middle Earth.

There was Huan, the Eagles, the Horse Of Eol the Young, the Ravens of The Lonely Mountain, Smaug and Glauraung and possibly other dragons etc... :D

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

odette

Talking Foxes

Post#6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm

.....and then came Cheesey's fox :D

leelee

Talking Foxes

Post#7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:17 am

To me, on the one hand, it seems rather absurd to include talking animals into such a powerful and  harsh world as it were, a world like ours with dreadful realities where life comes and goes as quickly and violently as any world war we have ever known as mortals here on earth. On the other hand, the time period lends itself to the ages of strange and wierd happenings, such as alchemy and shape shifting and other dark or occultic things known on this earth. I keep changing my mind as to what I feel abot it.

turin

Talking Foxes

Post#8 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Unless my memory has completely abandoned me, the fox didn't actually speak. It was just his mental thought written in spoken form (i.e. quotes).

However, there are many instances of speaking animals other than those already mentioned. The bird at the lonely mountain for instance (Roac I think?), indeed the crebain and the other bird-spies must have been able to communicate somehow also. In fact, isn't one of the abilities of Radagast to speak with most living things?

leelee

Talking Foxes

Post#9 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:38 pm

What was the type of bird that told the man of Dale where to aim to kill Smaug? Was it a thrush or something?

Dain Ironfoot III

Talking Foxes

Post#10 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes, the thrush was in league with Roäc.    

Return to “General Discussion”