The Eye of Sauron ????

gildor

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:31 am

Hi All,
I am a full on LOTR fan and loved the movies. The only problem I have is the interpretation and portrayal of "The eye of Sauron", stuck up on top of the Dark Tower. Granted the movie rendition was very well done. BUT it's really rediculous (In my opinion) I remember reading about a window that Sauron was able to look out of. We know too that Sauron was using a Palantir to see all and influence events beyond his realm. I submit that was much more likely to have been the eye. The discriptive images of the eye could have been reported and spread around by those who had either seen the eye through another palantir or by the influence of Saurons power. Rather like the distorted images seen in a pond of water or magnifying glass.

galin

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#2 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 pm

According to Tolkien Sauron had a body in the Third Age; and as for the Eye, I include the possibilities of: a metaphor, and emblem, and a vision, depending upon the quote.

And Sauron had physical eyes too!

leelee

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm

I had a little trouble with the movie version of the Eye of Sauron, but mostly because it seemed too much and too fantastic even for him. He had great power yes, but a lot of his power was his cunning and ability to get others to follow him. However it was a great cinematic stroke of genius I suppose and that is how it is. Brego I have missed you and everyone so much. I still take as much as an hour to make a comment since that wierd day everything turned white and then black.   had my computer checked and it is fine and does not do that on any other site. then i bought a laptop and to my sorrow it does exactly the same thing but only on this site. oh well, it is worth sitting here for a long time just to be part of this great place and the awesome people who share and bring such beauty and information here.

brego

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#4 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks Lee Lee, Missed you too!  Hope all is well with you...

Re Saurons Eye, I dont have a problem of the concept of the imagery, more the actual look of the concept.  I thought it looked a little cartoonish.  I expect that the portrayal of the eye of Sauron would have been fiendish to display on film.  Wish it had been a little more felt than scene.   I guess thats the only way I can expain how I envisioned it the first time I read the book.

Mîm the Petty Dwarf

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#5 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 am

I agree with LeeLee it was a little to big for him but PJ had to represent it someway that catch the watchers eye. Although its not the purist way of displaying it, it was the next best thing.

Mîm the Petty Dwarf

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#6 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Do not get me wrong I do not agree with PJs representation, yet how else would he have represent the eye to people who had never read the Lord of the Rings. I do not want this to be an argument I'm just saying if you had never read the trilogy would you know what the eye was if it showed a window?

galin

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#7 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 am

But did we really need an eye atop the tower like this? Portraying the eye as a vision, or something seen in Galadriel's mirror is one thing, but placing it atop the tower is another.

I see nothing about film as film that demanded it -- it's a personal choice; and one that I disagree with.

galin

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:37 am

But even in the films Jackson showed the Eye aside from being atop the Dark Tower.

Tolkien's Sauron had a body in the Third Age, but we still have the eye in the books, and so the Eye can be in the films too, and was. I don't see why we needed a huge eye atop Barad-dur however...

... and as I say, it appears that even some Jackson fans don't like this choice.

Mîm the Petty Dwarf

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#9 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 am

I agree with you Galin it was uncalled for and unneeded. I am a little bit of a PJ fan and i don't always agree with him.

mm83

The Eye of Sauron ????

Post#10 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:48 pm

I think that fans of the book often forget the simplistic nature of film making. It was after all filmed for the masses and nothing says power on screen than something big bright and flashy, so that's exactly what we got. Also they made reference to the all seeing eye, the problem is that I know and you know Sauron and the eldar dont need eyes to see afar but does the average person? I think that the moment when the ring is put on and the eye darts towards the mountain of doom could not have been portrayed without having a physical object to work from and the whole point is that Sauron is not physical.

Return to “General Discussion”