Stories, fifty words or less

leelee

Post#1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Aeowyn took a deep breath and held it before blowing out slowly. This was it, this was her moment to make a name for herself, to stand proudly in history with uncle Theoden, brother Aeomer.
Face covered, horse beneath her, heart pounding she waited for the signal. Time to go!

leelee

Post#2 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:18 am

Pippin  saw that Merry was deep in sleep so he crept up beside him. Reaching down into a pocket the hobbit pulled out some pipe weed and smiled in ecstasy. He filled his pipe and smoked and laughed til he looked up.  Gandalf, frowning. The fun was over.

leelee

Post#3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Come on my darling Elves, Men, Dwarves , Hobbits , and the rest, come on practice, it truly sharpens your writing skills to have to have a beginning , middle and ending in only fifty words. Give it a try, it is great fun. On one site i used to be on some of the grade twelves could make it in about twenty five words. I never managed but once.

Silently, a great pear shaped tear fell from the corner of her eye. it rolled slowly down her porcelain cheek,then slipped off her chin and splashed to the highly polished wood block floor below.  "I hate onions she said."

leelee

Post#4 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am

Brilliant.

Now come along the rest of you , try. Being able to do this so sharpens the mind that those in sales, office work and many other trades and skillls find they can answer questions or come up with ideas in a flash because of this practice.

brego

Post#5 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Gimli stood below a great willow. His grey hair brushed back and braided into rope which hung to the back of his knees. Legolas stood by, watching the Dwarf's face intently as his expression exploded from dread to elation as he beheld a transformed Fangorn. The trees who stood by in silence were witness alone......

Oerath Windsoul

Post#6 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 pm

It is surely a good idea. I guess I could contribute as well, but mainly I recommend this for those, who wish to learn the basics. But besides that, it's quite fun to come up with a short tale that has fifty words.

I am glad I finally got to post this. For some days, I haven't got past the main page. There has been some really windy days and little snowstorms, and because of that, 3G connections have been very unstable. (Mobile network system)

So, once I get the time and the day for this thread, I shall post something.

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

brego

Post#7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Shadow Fax stood in the grand stables of Minas Tirith.  His mind drifted off to a land he had never been, but that he longed to see.  He saw a white ship, a white lady, his great friend Mithrandir and a handful of halflings.  To the West his great heart yearned, to see his grand sires and kin of old.

Wenlesael Isil

Post#8 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm

The storm drifted over, creating a vast darkness beneath. Fangorn. The sound of the wind whipping through the branches, causing noises that were beyond mystic, howling ensued, whether from the wind or the trees, who could tell. The Shepherds mourned. Sadness, issued from the shadowed forest.

leelee

Post#9 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Brego and Wen, i was transported away to the time and place of your creation within a few words of each of your story. When I was a women's editor before I chose free lance, we were told in no uncertain terms, we writers, that in order to keep the client reading we had to be brief, each word had to be hand picked and the word had to fit the other words like a glove. People in this time , in these circumstances simply don't for the most part wish to read a single word that does not interest them. I:n this fast food culture books that stirred the soul fifty years ago, Crime And Punishment, Pride and Prejudice, Farewell to Arms, Anne of Green Gables, Huckleberry Finn and hundreds of others, books that took time to read, that were overflowing with descriptions and feelings, are now largely left to gather dust on the shelves. So writers, well in my mind ones of quality, must find a way to say the same things as their ancestors in many many fewer words. i promise you if you practice from time to time it will also help you to quickly find the right words to use in business, in personal relationships, in many areas of your lives. Both of you told me a story that leaves me yearning for the next installation. Thank you.

Wenlesael Isil

Post#10 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Leelee, thank you so much for the encouragement! Yes, very true, even though I am only fourteen, I love those long, detailed books that are so jam packed with description that I can barely suppress my joy...but sadly people will not sit down and read those types of books anymore. Anyway, I love words, I love writing, and I love a good story! So I will try to write in a way that all people will appreciate!

Here is my next story:

The contrast between the dark hair and pale skin of Luthien was more than he could bear.  Tinuviel, blue robed beauty, out of grasp. Hidden, he watched, as she danced, sang to him, or bathed in moonlight that encircled her perfect breast, and shone in her eyes. Love had Beren.

Return to “General Discussion”