The loveliest word

Elbereth

The loveliest word

Post#1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:23 am

Which is your loveliest word of Tolkien books? and why?
Mine is Nimloth. It has some elements I really like. First of all, it's a tree, it was a present from the Valar and remains the light of Valinor. Moreover, it was the hope for men. Meanwhile the tree lived, man would live (or at least the kings would lead mankind).
Trees are magic. Their roots are connected with the deep soil down the earth and their branches always grow searching for the light above in the high sky...
I'm very sensitive today, I don't want to seem stupid but there are days....

Thorin Oakenshield

The loveliest word

Post#2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Osgilliath, the dome of the stars! I think it pretty much has to do with how I imagine it! I picture it as a  mighty circular hall, in the same design as the King's hall of  Minas Tirith, with Statues of the Great Kings of men standing vigil all around! In the middle stands a great pedestal where the Palantir resides, reflecting its surroundings in its dark surfaces.

Maybe the dome itself is made of some strange black stone, like Orthanc, which at Night reflects the stars or varda on its surface and maybe by some arts is visible on the inside...

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Elbereth

The loveliest word

Post#3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:28 pm

What a beautiful place! I can also imagine it. It seems that all of us are staring at the stars lately or looking above as if we were waiting for something.

Ah! I remember you posted something about studying cosmology, didn't you Thorin?

Thorin Oakenshield

The loveliest word

Post#4 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:32 pm

I am not studying cosmology per se, but I am interested in it. I like reading about the stars, galaxies and the universe. When you think in term of the universe all of our doings here on earth seem so petty and unimportant! 

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Elbereth

The loveliest word

Post#5 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm

I totally agree.

brego

The loveliest word

Post#6 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:04 pm

For me its Ithilien.  It just melts off the tongue, what a beautiful name for a beautiful place.  Ithilien "Moon Land".

leelee

The loveliest word

Post#7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Beautiful thread Elbereth.

Undomiel-- evenstar.It sounds like a whisper and a sigh. A star to gaze at and share your secrets with, a star to pray under for victory over the unnatural darkness of evil. Thorin, that was beautiful and yours also Brego it is an enchanting hauntingly beautiful word.

galin

The loveliest word

Post#8 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Great choices so far... Osgiliath and Ithilien especially in my opinion! yes! And I'll add Maedhros too... 

... but there are so many! Asfaloth, Amroth, Nimrodel, Galadhon... and on and on. I could not pick one favorite for sure, and would probably not be able to pick a top twenty for example!

brego

The loveliest word

Post#9 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Ithildin made from Mithril and Cuivienen and Oiolosse are other of my Fav's.  And Galin Maedhros, wonderful choice.

Fornad

The loveliest word

Post#10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Glaurung - the name suggests something strong and large, and something you would fear. I also happen to find it a powerful word just to hear spoken.

Return to “General Discussion”