Two New Tolkien Books

leelee

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

The eldest grandson of JRR Tolkien , Michael Tolkien seems to be embarking on something lovely He is writing or may have finished by now two stories based on tales his grandfather used to thrill him with as a child.
To add MUCH to the thrill of it , Gerald Dickenson, Charles' Dickenson's great great grandson will narrate the audio versions of the books.
We shall at any rate get to read something new and fresh, and if there is anything to the 'blood' thing that Aragorn wondered about, we might just be able to be thrilled all over again by enjoying the works of someone close to our hero.

goldfeather

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Oh, that is exciting! I wonder if he might remember bits that Tolkien never worked into his published books.

Also, growing up constantly surrounded by his father's talented story-telling, he must have a knack for writing his own. I wonder when we'll get to see these new books?

brego

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Lee Lee, wonderful news indeed. And yes Goldfeather one can only hope.

leelee

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#4 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:32 pm

I am a hardcore Dickens fan as well, and it will be the biggest thrill to listen to the audio tapes. shiver.

Elbereth

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#5 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Good news! I still must read many others Tolkien books... but it's amazing to see that his grandson will continue Mr. Tolkien work. First of all, for the personal part of dedicating his time to remember to his grandfather (as our Oerath! ) and second because for the readers of Tolkien is a marvellous present. Let's wait patiently. Anyway, I will go on my Tolkien readings with "The unfinished tales.." as Arwen suggested me. At the moment my favourite story is LOTR but as mithology, the Silmarilion is a masterpiece.

Rukain

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#6 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Such exciting news! I eagerly look forward to it, catching up on my other reading while I'm waiting. I still haven't read the Silmarillion(which I've heard is the best)

leelee

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#7 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I think the Silmarilion is his magnum opus, and strange and surreal and grim as it might be to the reader, to me the characters are the most like the reality and grief I personally have weathered, if one took away the fantastic in it it would cry out the sorrows of those in war time, in clan feuds, on the mean streets even. It is the 'shock troop' book , the assorment of tales that pierce the soul and bring the reader to his /her knees.

Elbereth

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#8 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 am

Reading this thread, I have a question. What's your opinion about the Unfinished tales? How would you describe it? It's a book with several stories or tells something about already known characters of the Silmarilion or... I have no idea of what I can expect of this book. Any clue? Please tell me any of you, anyone who had read the book of course.

Rukain

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#9 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:12 pm

I haven't read Unfinished tales either, and have had the same question for a while. Plus, should I read the Silmarillion first, or Unfinished tales? Do you need to have read one to read the other?

Elbereth

Two New Tolkien Books

Post#10 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

No Rukain, you don't need to read one to begin the other. But it's like putting pieces together, when you read the Hobbit, you understand the fame of Bilbo in the Shire for example and when you read the Silmarillion you understand more details of races, many many many things. You just read whatever and you'll discover something new in Tolkien's Middle Earth. It's like creating this world with more nuances. I love it!

Definitely I will begin the Unfinished tales. I will take Arwen's advice into account. If you read it, we can share some comments later. However, I will buy it during my travel to New Zealand, I will bring some Tolkien books as souvenirs, it will be the first time I read the original texts in English!

Return to “General Discussion”