Hwo want's one of the Rings?

thefunnyhobbit

Post#1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 am

Hello mate's! Which one of you want's one of 'em Rings? One of the seven Darf rings, the Human rings or the Elf rings? I would like to have an Elf ring, Elronds ring. :elf:

mellon

Post#2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:57 am

I would like to own Gandalf's ring .but in real life I am the proud owner of Nenya

thefunnyhobbit

Post#3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am

Cool!

arwen undómiel

Post#4 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:22 am

About how they look, I would like an elvish ring(I'm a little elf after all). But about the power they have I don't want such a ring. I'm not worthy such power.

''Loyalty is the only moral instinct that can exist on the same plane as truth itself. They may clash, but one can never overcome the other without cost.''

Semper Fi ⚓ ∞

Namárië

rimorob

Post#5 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

I would luv the 1 ring but i would give it back

Indis

Post#6 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of jewelry and I'd make myself insane by loosing one of those Rings, so I wouldn't risk it ;)

I'd love to see how looked the rest of the Rings - I mean design wise. How they would differ from the three Elvish rings.

brego

Post#7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Dwarven rings drove them mad with Greed.

The rings for Men created Wraiths who's lives would be unbearable.

The One Ring. Really only usefull to Sauron.

So it would have to be one of the Elven rings. Would mind which really as their power differed depending on the Wearer or Bearer.

galin

Post#8 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 am

Brego likely means that the One wasn't useful to others because employing it would only lead to another bad guy. So just to add (that is, the following is not a 'correction' of anything anyone has posted)...

'...  he was not 'diminished'. Unless some other seized it and became possessed of it. If that happened, the new possessor could (if sufficiently strong and heroic by nature) challenge Sauron, become master of all that he had learned or done since the making of the One Ring, and so overthrow him and usurp his place. This was the essential weakness he had introduced into his situation in his effort (largely unsuccessful) to enslave the Elves, and in his desire to establish a control over the minds and wills of his servants.'

JRRT, 1951, to M. Waldman

I'm pretty sure someone in the film Council of Elrond states (something like) we cannot wield it, none of us can (again, possibly not a direct quote), although the filmmakers do show the temptation of Galadriel in any case, and maybe they explain things elsewhere too.

So this is not a film bash but just in case there is any confusion, in Tolkien's world Sauron's enemies could make use of the One.

Indis

Post#9 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 am

I wouldn't even consider having the One Ring, since it's nature is purely evil. Yes, the power is amazing, but it's also very scary thing to have. You know, "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I'm pretty sure someone in the film Council of Elrond states (something like) we cannot wield it, none of us can (again, possibly not a direct quote)

That's correct. I believe it is Gandalf who says that "We cannot use it", when he reactes to the words of Boromir, that the One Ring is "a gift". Oh well, I saw the movies was too many times! ;p

that is, the following is not a 'correction' of anything anyone has posted

Haha, Galin, you seem to be aware of how your wide knowledge can scare off other posters! :) I love that :)

galin

Post#10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 am

That's the last thing I want Indis (for anyone not to post). I love posting about Tolkien because it's Tolkien, and I don't engage in a lot of other types of things, like fan fiction or games (nothing wrong with those of course)...

... so sometimes I just pick up on something (even admittedly sometimes a pedantic detail) so I can blather about it. It's fun if the 'blather' is about the Master and his amazing world!

:)

Return to “General Discussion”