PlasticSquirrel

Would JRR Tolkien approved the films

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think so...
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

PlasticSquirrel

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nope, I'd be rolling in my grave by now.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

ProgHead777

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's really hard to say. As far as places are concerned I think the film has it down pat. The Shire, Bree and The Prancing Pony, Rivendell, Moria were all fantastic and more glorious and fantastical than I even imagined. And Lothlorien was absolutely awe inspiring.

As far as characters, that's a little tougher. I think Gandalf, Bilbo, Sam, Arwen (her increased roll aside) Gimli and Legolas, Aragorn, and Galdriel were all great. There are some issues with the other characters but I think all in all, they are fairly minor issues.

Where changes in the plot and story are concerned I think JRR Might have had some real beefs but, just liked fans, postAuthorIDs often expect the impossible in interperatations of their novels. There are many exceptions however. I've seen many film adaptions where the postAuthorID wrote the screenplay, or at least had a great deal of input in the making of the film, and there were changes made that were far more drastic than anything we've seen in FotR.

Anne Rice went on a crusade against Interveiw with the Vampire telling fans of the book to boycott the film and blah blah blah, primarily because of the choice of Tom Cruise as Lestat, but also for other reasons. She took out full page ads in major newspapers all over the country trashing the movie. Then she saw the film ...and absolutely adored it. Having read the book and seen the movie I can tell you, they were far from identical. Lestat even flies in the film which he most certainly could NOT do in Interveiw. His ability to fly came long after the events in the first book...

Anyway, the point is, some postAuthorIDs understand that they have to make changes to the novels when they adapt them for film. Many others are satisfied if the overall themes and feel of their works are left intact, which, in the case of FotR, I think they were.
As to which type Tolkien would have been, who can say?

If you want to see examples of true hatchet work, go read any Dean Koontz novel, and then go see its film adaption! Koontz described every movie version that's been made from his books as "the spawn of hell" and he's absolutely right. They bear little to zero resemblance to the originals. The Watchers is a good example. Excellent book, ridiculous movie.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm with Prog on this one. :thumbup:

In fact I think ole JRRT :angel: would simply be filled with awe after seeing the movie:
My dreams have come to life. I imagined it was like that, but the detail--My Lord, but it was great. And to think I wrote those books ever so long ago, and that they are still being read; will wonders never cease? *
*The above quote was brought to you without resorting to any séance, medium, spirit guide, or other hokum; merely from the imagination of one of Tolkien's lowly fans. :)
'Share and enjoy'

MelliotSandybanks

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:shakehead: Sorry Plastic, I am with Prog and Grondy on this one. JRRT :angel: would really be amazed that people are still reading and appreciate his work. :D Yes, there were changes, not all I agreed with, but like Prog said the overall themes were left in tact, and the places were awe inspiring. The statues of the kings at the end of the movie, were amazing. I personally loved the movie.nn[Edited on 3/9/2002 by MelliotSandybanks]

ProgHead777

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ahh, Argonath, the Gates of Kings! Who didn't gasp when those gigantic statues appeared on the movie screen? Every time I went to see the movie in the theater (4 or 5 times I believe) a murmur went through the audience at that scene. Wow! :superwow:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

rednell

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I am sure it must be difficult for any postAuthorID to see his work put on the big screen if he has not had any involvement. The dynamics of the story changes because you have the interpretation of the director, which may not be what the postAuthorID intended or how the reader has related to the story. Tolkien loved to use the term applicability so his reader had the freedom to apply any implied allegory to his own environment. What we end up with in a movie, be it the PJ version or Saul Zaentz, is probably not what the postAuthorID intended. Although the film is extremely well done and fits many people’s vision of ME, I do not think JRR Tolkien would have approved. He really did not like modern technology as it was during his time. What makes us think he would like today’s technology? Much of PJ’s ME has been created using today’s technology and I am not sure Tolkien would have been comfortable with that. Of course, I would like to think Tolkien would have approved LOTR but I sincerely doubt that he would.

[Edited on 4/9/2002 by Rednell]

[Edited on 4/9/2002 by Rednell]

nn[Edited on 4/9/2002 by Valedhelgwath]

MelliotSandybanks

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Red you have a good point and I never would have thought about that aspect of it. Thank you for the new insight. I did not know that JRRT did not like technology. Well, I definitly learned something new today. :)

rednell

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I should not say that Tolkien disliked all technology, he certainly did come to appreciate the typewriter. However, factories and machines were destroying the environment and that was what upset him. He tried driving a car but, after his first accident, gave that up.

Snape

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think J.R.R. Tolkien would of approved of the films, I could also be completely wrong here but did he not make a statement about how he would hate to see his books made into a film? :P:

Return to “General Discussion”