Would JRR Tolkien approved the films

virumor

Post#151 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:38 pm

Do not laugh! But once upon a time...I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogenic to the level of romantic fairy-story -- the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendor from the vast backcloths-- ..... The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. Absurd.

I agree that PJ and his entire crew did their best job to bring Tolkien's works alive, and really put their heart into it and tried to follow the books as much as possible. They were limited of course due to lack of time and lack of money.

But i still think that a movie bout JRRT's works should have never been made, because i am a conservative, narrow-minded person, stuck in his own ways. (I am movie-Treebeard). I know it is impossible to make a movie exactly like the book, so a movie should never be made. I am such an evil person, aren't I ?

Naah, i just see the LOTR movies as an adaptation and tribute to JRRT's works. Took me a long time, though.

I think it's only possible to make a lotr-miniseries if we want it exactly like the book.

The last word in the Tolkien quote is 'absurd' : JRRT would have hated a movie bout his works. Of course, in the time JRRT lived, it was technically impossible to film his works. Now it is technically possible to film it (which PJ did) and this kinda changed everything. I agree that JRRT would have approved certain scenes from PJ's movies, but still i think he would be appalled by the fact that so many characters were thoroughly changed (Elrond, Faramir, Arwen) and that certain themes from the book were changed/left out/extended.

But i think that he would be satisfied by the fact that so many ppl wuld go and see the movies and that so many ppl would find interest in his works through the movies. I can't believe i said this, but it is true.

(PS : i have earned my job at New Line Cinema now... thx a lot Pete!! j/k)
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Amarië

Post#152 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:10 am

:pixie: Who are you and what have you done to the REAL Virumor?? :orcgin: J/K ;)
back on subject: I totally agree with Vir!
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Elfstone

Post#153 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:04 pm

Naah, i just see the LOTR movies as an adaptation and tribute to JRRT's works. Took me a long time, though.

I think it's only possible to make a lotr-miniseries if we want it exactly like the book.

The last word in the Tolkien quote is 'absurd' : JRRT would have hated a movie bout his works. Of course, in the time JRRT lived, it was technically impossible to film his works. Now it is technically possible to film it (which PJ did) and this kinda changed everything. I agree that JRRT would have approved certain scenes from PJ's movies, but still i think he would be appalled by the fact that so many characters were thoroughly changed (Elrond, Faramir, Arwen) and that certain themes from the book were changed/left out/extended.

But i think that he would be satisfied by the fact that so many ppl wuld go and see the movies and that so many ppl would find interest in his works through the movies. I can't believe i said this, but it is true.

Wow Vir what can I say, I’m very impressed! Congratulations on having a bit of a more open mind, and for the record I agree with almost everything you said in your post. The characters you mentioned (Faramir, Elrond, Arwen) are the ones that PJ (or should I say Boyens) screwed up the most, and I don’t think that JRRT would’ve been happy with their treatment in the films, but I do think he would have been pleased with some of the aspects of the films.

I guess in a way this is kinda pointless to mention, but I think had JRRT been alive when these films were made, I think PJ and Co. would have consulted with him a lot more on the script, and the films would have been a bit different (in a better way for all of us book purists).

I think you made a good point too that JRRT would’ve been happy that so many people would discover his works because of the films, and I don’t think he would’ve minded that The Silmarillion has been on the top 100 best selling book lists for quite some time now.
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

virumor

Post#154 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:22 pm

Who are you and what have you done to the REAL Virumor?? J/K
back on subject: I totally agree with Vir!

Someone put something into my drink... sorry i didn't mean all the stuff i posted earlier...

:P:
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

valedhelgwath

Post#155 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:50 am

I agree that PJ and his entire crew did their best job to bring Tolkien's works alive, and really put their heart into it and tried to follow the books as much as possible.

On the whole, I think JRR would have been PJ's greatest critic. He would have hated the changes that occured within the story and particularly to the characters. LotR was his baby. There would have been no greater Tolkien purist than the man himself.

Saying that, however, had he watched the extra discs on the DVDs concerning the "making of" the movies, I think even he would have been impressed by the attention of detail that went into each and every scene. I was watching a bit a couple of nights ago about the making of the Meduseld, Theoden's armour and throne etc. Seeing Weta describe the detail and history they were trying to portray in each piece gave me a very similar feeling to reading HOME and seeing Tolkien gradually developing his world. What really stands out with Tolkien's world is his attention to detail at every level, and that is what makes these three films stand out above every other film that has currently been made.

Had he been alive, Tolkien would have probably looked at the detail in Theoden's armour and thought it was all wrong, but I think he would have been pleased they had at least spent the time and effort to get it right.

In a way I think if he were to post here, his response would have possibly been similar to Virumor's. He would have been someone who disliked the films because they deviate from the books, but he would have praised the effort behind them.

cardthruil

Post#156 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:01 am

Wow,
All I have to say for the entire last page of posts is Wow. Primarily, I thought, well yeah JRRT would have been pleased to see the still ever-present and ever growing popularity of his works. However, after reading your posts, Virumor, Elfstone, and Valedhelgwath, I totaly agree with you.

plutoniumdwarf

Post#157 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:56 am

Tolkien would say, I think, that Peter Jackson did the best possible job that could have been done putting his books into movie form. He would say, "Not bad."

elanamirkad

Post#158 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:26 am

I agree with u Plutoniumdwarf, although they Peter did the best, he still could have done more. I was dissappointed at how they had to leave out some important parts. It would have been better if they had done more by the book and made it longer. But no one will ever know if Tolkien approves this. But I loved the books and the movies.
Hello to everyone and I hope I can get to know everyone here. I already had some people welcome me here.

crystle caves

Post#159 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:33 am

In my oppinion(nobody wants to hear it, but I'll give it anywho!) the final batle in ROTK was compleatly messed up. That could have been improved upon.

Elfstone

Post#160 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:06 pm

In my oppinion(nobody wants to hear it, but I'll give it anywho!) the final batle in ROTK was compleatly messed up. That could have been improved upon.

Actually Crystle we do want to hear your opinion! Here at PT all opinions, view points, thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome, valid, and appreciated just so long as they’re done in a constructive manner, and adhere to the guidelines of this site.
:happyelf:

For the record, we should be having this conversation in the ROTK film forum, but if you’re talking about the battle at the Black Gate, I agree that it should have been better, but I’m optimistic that the SEE of ROTK will improve on this (Mouth of Sauron, etc.) somewhat. I’m afraid that we’re stuck with lighthouse Sauron forever though.
:elfroleeyes:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Return to “General Discussion”