Would JRR Tolkien approved the films

QueenPippin

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In my opinion, I'm sure all things considered, he would have approved. The man doesn't need to be alive and watching over every little detail in the movie to make sure that it works, all that matters is that the director and the people working on it have a love for the piece, and PJ has said numerous times that he adores LOTR's. As a connection between the idea that you don't need to supervise the film for it to work, Margaret Mitchell, the postAuthorID of Gone with the Wind, sold the rights and didn't even go to the showing of the film, yet it turned out extremely well done and very close to the origonal concept of the piece.

As for JRRT, I'm sure he would have his qualms, but not too many. I mean, when I first saw the Shire and Rivendell, and numerous other places, they were awe inspiering, and almost exactly what I had pictured in my mind when I first read the books. Now, I'm not JRRT, but if the mental image I got was the same as the one PJ got and numerous other folk got, well then, I think they did a **** fine job.

If I was he, and I'm not (curses!) the only things that would really peeve me would be messing with some of the characters, (cough cough ARWEN) giving people biggers roles than nessicary or even what was writen is just wrong, and I hate it, being female and all, and rather activist-y, but her role in the book was sitting at table, and then marrying Aragorn, not being some crazy heroine, no matter how much women want their fair share in the movie, just wait for Eowyn. (That all made sense in my head, sorry your not here to comprehend what I was trying to get across ;) )

And then I come to my next point. In response to all this talk about Eowyn and Aragorn have a romantic connection, I hope to God that doesn't happen. I got the feeling (when I read the books) that he was slightly inclined to her for whatever reason, but never made any moves. So, I guess for this qualm, we're all going to have to wait until we see the movie to truely be ****** or pleased with it.

And now, I believe that's all I have to say about that... :D

[Edited on 17/12/2002 by QueenPippin]

(Grondy merely asterisked out a couple words in keeping with our newest policy not to give hints to the forbiden words even if they are as mild as these were.) :teacher: nn[Edited on 18/12/2002 by Grondmaster]

valedhelgwath

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

QueenPippin may I say firstly, a very big welcome from Planet Tolkien. We have a lot of features here and I hope you enjoy them.

As far as your defence of PJ goes, I agree fully. Having seen his comments on the extended DVD, he is obviously a true Tolkien fan, and yet within his line of business, he realises certain cuts must be made to make his version of the movie. He realises what makes a great book doesn't necessarily make a great movie.

I think like the rest of us, he would have liked to stick as close as possible to the world that JRR wrote, but being an experienced director he realised this wasn't possible. His forte is in producing movies. In my opinion he has done a wonderful job here, possibly better than JRR would have done himself.

As far as JRR is concerned, he was raised in a world devoid of the computerised special effects we are now used to. If he could see the films, he would most likely be unhappy with the changes (I as a writer am unhappy with any changes anyone suggests to my work), but hopefully he would differentiate between the two artforms of creating literature and making movies.

JRR wrote a wonderful story. PJ made a wonderful film (or series of) They are interconnected, but both demand different accolades. In my opinion both JRR and PJ are deserving in massive recognition for what they have created in their own fields. I think had JRR been a successful film director, rather than a writer, he would have been more than happy with the film. In my opinion, PJ has shown far more respect to the original work than most producer would have.

grondmaster

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to our forum QueenPippin. :happyelf:

Good post, by the way. Now if PJ's version of TTT is as well done as his FotR we will be in for a treat as would be JRRT, were he able to watch the opening today.
'Share and enjoy'

Stonehelm

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome QueenPippen! Nice to have you with us!

I think you're right Grondmaster, I think that this will be a great movie even with the changes. PJ worked really hard on the little things, like speaking Elvish, so any small changes are OK with me. :orcthumbs:

To bad JRRT can't join us. :(
I will never raise the white flag.

MelliotSandybanks

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, even if J.R.R. did not like the changes that PJ has made, I believe he would have loved the settings that PJ created of ME. To me they were absolutely amazing in FOTR and I hope they are the same way in TTT. I did not get to go like I had planned. My hubby took the tickets back that I bought. I was disappointed, but would much rather see it with him. I kinda like have a date with my hubby. lol

Tinúviel

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think JRRT would have approved of the films - though I wouldn't go as far as saying he would've hated it. Actually he might be content with PJ's version - it's not the worst possible senario if you think of the disaster and utter insult to Tolkien's masterpiece had it fallen into the wrong hands. I vaguely remember reading something awhile back before the movie was made on Tolkien's opinion of "That infernal mouse" way back when Disney wanted to get their grubby little paws on the film rights (just imagine those cutesy little cartoon hobbits dancing around to a sing-a-long Disney kiddies song and little elves flitting about like fairies - no no it's too awful, make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :boom:
and I could be mistaken but I think JRRT approved of the artist who made the animated version.

IMHO PJ's biggest mistake was expanding Arwen's role at the expense of the other more important ones. (JRRT probably would've been devastated to find that Tom had been left out - as I think he represented the earth in its most natural, purist form - living in complete harmony with nature instead of expecting it to make way for 'civilisation')

Don't get me wrong, I really loved the movie, but part of me wishes it was never made as it robs us of the greatest thing that the book inspires and that is our own imagination... especially for those who have not read the book yet.

rednell

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

(just imagine those cutesy little cartoon hobbits dancing around to a sing-a-long Disney kiddies song and little elves flitting about like fairies - no no it's too awful, make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I could not think of a worse fate than having the Disney Corp do an animated feature of our beloved Middle Earth adventures. They would have just trivialized a true work of genius.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved the movie, but part of me wishes it was never made as it robs us of the greatest thing that the book inspires and that is our own imagination... especially for those who have not read the book yet.

I would like to hear from someone who read the book(s) for the first time after viewing PJ's movie. I suspect you are correct that they would see Tolkien's world as protrayed in the film. That being said, I found the art direction extremely well done and I saw the images that were in my mind spring to life. I, too, missed Tom Bombadil, but I am afraid he would not translate well onto the big screen. He would have come across as a silly character wearing yellow boots and a blue coat and a feather in his hat. The concept that Tom represents is too complex for a few minutes of screen time. I think PJ did us a favour by leaving Tom to our own imaginations.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

(just imagine those cutesy little cartoon hobbits dancing around to a sing-a-long Disney kiddies song and little elves flitting about like fairies - no no it's too awful, make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :boom:
and I could be mistaken but I think JRRT approved of the artist who made the animated version.

Don't have to imagine it, go check out the Rankin/Bass versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King, they ARE just as you describe.
As to Bakshi's animated Lotr, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's fantastic.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

QueenPippin

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

What is this "Bakshi's" LOTR's you speak of? Ooo, I'm intrigued... :dunce:

Also, thank you's up and down for your hearty welcomes, I've never been in a nicer forum! nn[Edited on 22/12/2002 by QueenPippin]

PlasticSquirrel

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Lord of the Rings Movie by Ralph Bakshi (1979) is an animated movie which in places is a bit disney and cutesy, but is worth owning for the opening sequence in red and black sillhouettes alone. It's also responsible for me being a Tolkienite in the first place.

It's available to buy again now (hmmmm... can't think why?) from all reputable video and DVD dealers, and most disreputable ones as well. I did bung a review of it up here once, I'll hunt out the link for you in a bit.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “General Discussion”