Authors similar to Tolkien ????

grondmaster

Post#101 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:57 pm

Has anyone been watching the Sci-Fi Channels two part mini-series Legend of Earthsea? Part 1 is being rerun tonight Tuesday at 7 PM PST and Part 2 at 9 PM PST with a rerun of part 2 at 11 PM PST.

They have combined the first two books of Ursula K. Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea series in parallel. One major difference from the books is the inclusion of lady wizards also studing at the Wizard's University on the Isle of Roke. "Shades of Arwen!" Still, it didn't hurt the story so far; and having Tenar, the young priestess of the second book, The Tombs of Atuan, doing her thing while the boy wizard, Ged is learning his lessons (including his major one) keeps the action moving.
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

Post#102 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:19 am

I hope they show it over here in the UK. I haven't read the books for yearsso I probably won't notice any changes. Heck, I'm still trying to come to terms with the trilogy becoming a quadrology (or whatever). I have several Le Guin books waiting to be read, one of them the fourth in the Earthsea Trilogy (Ha!) and one called 'Changing Planes', described as an armchair novel for the mind.

rednell

Post#103 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:43 am

Frankly, only the Bard is dearer to my heart than Tolkien. Do "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "The Tempest" get him included as a fantasy writer?

I think Shakespeare can be most definitely be included in the ranks of fantasy writers. JRRT has often been referred to as the father of modern fantasy and one can see a great deal of Shakespearean influence in his works, even though, our dear professor claimed to dislike Shakespeare's works.

gablo

Post#104 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:19 pm

Terry Goodkind

rue auburn

Post#105 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:33 pm

Oh,I've been meaning to read Terry Goodkinds books,isn't the first one called The wizards First Rule or something?

virumor

Post#106 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:36 pm

Yes, the Seeker of Truth series is good high fantasy, i've heard.

Gonna read it after i finished the WOT and that'll probably be after the 115th book in 2145.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

gablo

Post#107 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:37 pm

I havent read them yet but i got wizards first rule. Its part of The Sword of Truth. Apparantly theyre simmilar to tolkiens stuff......theres a map in it.

eva lilith

Post#108 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:35 pm

Uhhh.... nobody kill me but... Dennis McKiernan. He pretty much copied a lot of LOTR stuff, but wrote it differently in The Iron Tower, and the other ones are pretty similar to the LOTR ideas as well. I was kind of surprised he didn't get sued for the amount of stuff he copied... so it feels almost sacreligious to put his name here. But I felt it needed to be pointed out...

oloriniwasinmyyouth

Post#109 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:17 pm

Wow. I've read through this entire thread, and there seem to be three different types of authors being discussed. First - the classics like Homer, to whom I'm having some difficulty drawing lines from Tolkien's works, but that's ok. The second group, call them the free-thinkers, like Jack Vance (yes, a phenomenal writer in his own regard, but nothing he did can compare to Tolkien's world), Lewis, Herbert, and another of my favorites, Anne McCaffrey (I still remember the day it dawned on me that klah was coffee..lol).

Finally, there are those writers who, were there no Tolkien, would be writing news stories and chasing ambulances. Terry Brooks and David Eddings lead this list, and Robert Jordan is also among the leaders (I agree his first five books were great, but after that it seemed like he was afraid to end the story). I am amazed, however, that nobody has mentioned the biggest Tolkien ripoff artist of them all, R.A. Salvatore. I can't give exact references, because it's been years and I really don't want to read his books again, but I can recall seeing entire sections that were lifted from LOTR. Deplorable. Maybe that's why nobody mentioned him - sheer disgust.

rhapsody

Post#110 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:10 pm

I am amazed, however, that nobody has mentioned the biggest Tolkien ripoff artist of them all, R.A. Salvatore.

I had that with Feist... it was an horrible read. Yeah I know there are some Feist fans here, but well... It didn't work for me. Is Orson Scott Card mentioned somewhere? I am not sure. A great writer as well.

Return to “General Discussion”