Authors similar to Tolkien ????

rhapsody

Post#51 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:57 am

Books! You can never talk enough about them.

Authors alike Tolkien mm. When I think of Tolkien I think of epic fantasy.

For those who are going like.. what? Read this article:
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20020624/epic_fantasy.shtml

George RR Martin is already mentioned, Tad Williams is great as well! Roger Zelazny, the Amber chronicles.

Now onto my favorites. I am surprised that one author is not mentioned yet... Jack Vance. Do read the Lyonesse trilogy. He equals Tolkien. I miss Robin Hobb as well. She is really really good. Do get a copy of the farseer trilogy if you visit the library or bookshop.

I am very fond of Marion Zimmer Bradley. The series she wrote with Julian May and Andre Norton are great (Black trillium and the books after that). Terry Pratchett is just good. Combine him with Neil Gaiman and it is perfection!

Pleasant discoveries: Julliet Marillier. Another author that might not be everybody's cup of tea (and not very suitable for young people) is Jacqueline Carey's Kusthiel Trilogy. I am still reading Elizabeth Haydon's The Symphony of Ages trilogy, so far very good.

The past year I have been reading fantasy by new female writers and I have not read Martin or Goodkind yet..

Vee

Post#52 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:11 am

He equals Tolkien

Burn the heretic!

rhapsody

Post#53 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 am

Burn the heretic!

w00t!!!!

We are talking about a man born on 28th of August 1916.
Winner of
the Edgar Award in 1960,
the Hugo Award in 1963 and 1967,
the Nebula Award in 1966,
the Jupiter Award in 1975,
the Achievement Award in 1984,
the GilgamXs Award in 1988,
the World Fantasy Award in 1990,
and the Grand Master Award in 1997.

This is not some new kid on the block, this is someone who authored of over 60 books. Jack Vance's first book, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950. That is around the same time Tolkien was publishing... Give the man the credit that he earns. This author is good.

*climbs of the soap box now*

Vee

Post#54 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:23 pm

That's OK - we are burning you not him.

virumor

Post#55 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:53 pm

It doesn't matter how much that man has won, or how many ppl read his books. You are not good, you are thought to be good. The same is true for JRRT.

Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

celebrimbor

Post#56 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:45 pm

Also I think that Llyod Alexander (The Prydain Chronicles) is a superb writer. He writes the same genre as Tolkien, Ancient Fantasy as does a wonderful job with the characters. If you haven't picked up any of these books, I suggest you do. The first book is The Book of Three. Hurry and go read it!
~Celebrimbor

rhapsody

Post#57 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:08 pm

That's OK - we are burning you not him.

Oh sweet!

grondmaster

Post#58 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:08 pm

:moderator: Vee, I didn't see any mitagating smilies with your recent comments. I know you were just making funny, but some people might not; so please be more careful in the future . Thanks. :moderator: :happyelf:

I have read and enjoyed both Jack Vance's Lyonesse Trilogy and Llyod Alexander's five volume The Prydain Chronicles. They are all very good but they are not Tolkien; we are talking apples and oranges here, and as such we shouldn't put anyone's books down that have withstood the test of time.
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

Post#59 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:21 pm

But.... Grondy - a smiley would have meant I was joking......

Heheee..... OK...... OK......... I was.. I admit it....... and Rhapsody knows I was.

:wiggle:

So come back in all you newbies.......... sacrifices are temporarily suspended..... which makes a change from boiling in oil.... I meant, they are off the menu.... er.... (someone give me a shovel to dig this hole....)

GrevBukMcJern

Post#60 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 pm

*throws Vee a shovel from a safe distance*

!!! Safe?!? Vee!! Run!! :superscared:
What are you looking down here for?

Return to “General Discussion”