Will LOTR forge the way for new Fantasy films?

swampfaye

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

(did you actually SEE the D&D
movie?)

Yup, have it on DVD. There isn't much for fantasy fans, as it is, and beggers can not be choosers. It's a great made for t.v. movie that wasn't made for t.v. Better than Merlin. Should have never been a "feature film" but If Star Wars spawned knock off's it also spawned great films like "Star Trek II" and "Galaxy Quest" so... I still have high hopes

chikakat

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

part of the reason fantasy films are underrated is that there aren't so many of them out there...I think the success of LotR will make it easier for fantasy movies to be made...so, there will be more of them...as the genre increases, I think it's pretty much guaranteed to improve as more directors try different things and find out what can go into a really great fantasy movie.

Allyssa

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I certainly hope to see more fantasy films - but only if they are resonably well done. I suppose we can't expect the same standard as the LoTR since not many films would have such a huge budget to work with. It's do or die for the fantay genre in films - if they don't gain popularity now they never will.

Anyone watched Willow lately? I could have sworn I saw a few ideas that were used in TLoR film ie: The wizard duel and the floating white sorceress. PJ must have been a fan.
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Movies have nearly always come from books. It's just that very often people don't know the books. There is no growing trend I'm afraid, it's just always been that way. And I used to watch Willow all the time, because I had no Lotr movie (I could never find a copy of the Bakshi movie up until last year) It's great, and very similar. Though it's a George Lucas story, so it was bound to be good!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Huan

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If you want a good film and good fantasy get boorman's EXCALIBUR. Not sure if it's avail on DVD yet. Or just get a few Honh Kong kung fu/fantasy flicks. Some great ones out there. Notably "The Bride with White Hair" by Ronnie Yu. Magical. OK not exactly LoTR but really worthwhile. Not for kids though

Elspeth

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I also hope Lotr will help moviemakers see the big picture and produce more outstanding fantasy films. Lotr goes to show that it certainly pays to...

What I would love to see one day in the future is Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Saga made into a series of movies, Once he finishes them first of course and if he doesn't die first

TomBombadillo

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Never read the Wheel of time. :( I don't have enough time to read all there is to read about fantasy!! AAAAHHH!! :)
I still think many great fantasy books would suck if they would be put in film. (the film would suck, I mean) You need to have a really big budget to get everything as right as possible. And you need to have courage to take the challenge. Not many directors have alas, or maybe they're right?
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Elspeth

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Your right it would take alot of courage to take on a big fantasy film but surely there are some fantasy freak directors who would be more than willing to take the plunge.

I also think a movie adapted from a book would be heaps better if the postAuthorID could play a major role in the production ( if they are still around of course. :)

Elspeth

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thats for sure jesi, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Theres still 4 books to go though.

Haven't read any of David Eddings but have though of it. I will have to read some now.
:)

Return to “General Discussion”