The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

ammornil

Post#1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:30 am

I am not much of a football fan and my homeland's team did not made it to the Finals anyway, but I would like to see the Sweden Team as champions.

p.s.: England's game is just not my kind of play

May the best team win!
Nolwe ar alcar >> Wisdom and Glory! Wisdom is in words, Glory- in deeds.
All of this is personal opinion and understanding. For your own opinion read the books written by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Fornad

Post#2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:09 am

I gave up supporting England when they drew with the USA. :)

I think the problem with the English team is that all the big local teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, etc.) are all getting players from abroad, and while these players are very good, they can't play for the English team since they weren't born in England. Many young English footballers aren't getting trained well enough to make the big teams, and so only the very few English players in those teams - most of whom aren't the best - get to play in the World Cup.

The Cheesey

Post#3 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:34 pm

We will beat Slovenia and get to the last 16. Rooney is brilliant, but has suddenly got a habit of falling over too much, which is why we are bad.

cloveress

Post#4 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Germany all the way for me!
Very disappointed they lost to Serbia, but things like that do happen (look at Spain...) and Serbia's got some pretty decent players, so I don't think Germany needs to feel bad at all.

As for the English team... while I am a big fan of Liverpool and Steven Gerrard, I just never really thought that all these great English players, when put together, are all that good. They attacks were certainly not as effective as the Spanish, the German, or the Argentines' and their defense is only okay at best. Oh but who knows? Maybe they'll win their last game and surprise us all.

Go Germany!!!!

The Cheesey

Post#5 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:09 pm

They should beat Slovenia. If they bring off Rooney for Crouch, and change to a 4–1–2–1–2 formation, with Gerrard behind Heskey and Crouch.

Sian

Post#6 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm keeping track of the goings-on with interest, largely thanks to my new son-in-law. He coaches for the Special Olympics and is very much a fan and has explained some things about it to me. Cheering for the UK, here.

Fornad

Post#7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 pm

England, not the UK, Sian! *winces*

rho

Post#8 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:11 am

GO THE ALL WHITES!!!, who'd ever believe that we could tie with Italy let alone score a point against them!!!!!

The Cheesey

Post#9 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:52 pm

The UK includes Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. England could beat all of them.

The Cheesey

Post#10 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Do you reckon we could win on Wednesday? (England)

Return to “Misc Guilds”