Tolkien Artist Guild Anyone?

Allyssa

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can draw animals that are recognisable to my children, and I do a mean phone doodle, but other than that, I cant draw, paint, or sculpt to save myself.

I would still be interested in seeing some of the work of others...can I be in the Guild or mailing list please? I will try not to say anything dumb :dunce:

I think that this Guild will need a moderator (who knows about art)...maybe they could be given restricted power like I used to have in The Writer's Guild?
"May the Angels Guide"

Mirdain

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello "Stranger"
Not a thread~slayer though, really.
I just couldn't respond as things get a bit crazy before Exhibitions. Too much work. Alas...
nice drawing.
I just cannot figure out how to post an image, c'est la vie.
Anyone else interested? :D
Namarie,
Mirdain

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to our forum Mirdain. :)

Oops, sorry, :verysad: I remember reading this thread, but then forgot to bring it up to the council. If you want an Artist Guild, Taz can probably set you up with one. Until then, you can email your Art submissions to Taz and if he deems them acceptable he will add them to the [u]Fan Art[/u] section under the [u]Art Gallery[/u] the links to which is there in the menu on the left. :cool:

One problem with Art is that the bandwidth required for storage, costs quite a lot in this post-dotcom era. We were forced to change servers about four times in the last year in order to have room for our Art Gallery. Hopefully this has been resolved; however, donations are still needed to keep our heads above water.
'Share and enjoy'

Mirdain

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Grondmaster,
Thanks for your reply. I would like to find out about what is already set up as an Artist Guild, and become a member if possible.
I do not know how to email with a photo or two as the contact form does not seem to allow it ;) I'll try again.
I understand a bit of the expenses involved in showing so much work with the website being quite large. I started my own site a while ago.
Thanks again!
Namarie,
Mirdain

tuesday

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:smoke: seeing as i do not hav the means 2 donate, i best refrain then. :funnylaugh:

PlasticSquirrel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I must apologise as well as Grondy, as I also saw this thread, meant to bring it to the attention of the others, and find out if we had the bandwidth to do it. In theory I think it is a fantastic idea. As to sending pictures, if the contact form does not allow it, then send it via normal e-mail to me plasticsquirrel@planet-tolkien.com and I will put it to the others for now. I may have a solution to your problems, if I can find a bit of free server space somewhere, I'll set up a seperate guild page or two for you where you can post your art. Of course, that's only if our bandwidth has gone nuts again here.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Apologies Mirdain. Missed this thread entirely...where was my brain? :dunce:

Anyways, I would love to see an artist guild get going, especially if you do some Tolkien stuff. Hmmmmm....maybe you guys can come up with the "Ultimate Elrond"? Or maybe you could do some illustrations for the Fan Writings. If, of course, you have time after doing your own thing... ;) .

The problem is, as Grondy said above, some strange cyber-thing called bandwidth. I have no idea how these things work, but I know that Taz has a general no-no on pictures in the forum. If there is a way around this, Taz will know, so we will have to await his opinion.

Maybe we could do it by a mailing list? Send each other drawings, sketches, pictures of sculptures...whatever and discuss them. When the artist is happy with their work, he/she could then post the image to Taz to put up in the gallery.

I cant wait to see some of the members artwork......wow! does PT rock or what??
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I apologise too, Mirdain and Tuesday (threadslayer indeed?)

I was rather busy when I first spotted this thread, but as I had absolutely no idea how to post a picture I went away to concentrate the little time I had on something I could do. I had a vague idea we had a problem with the bandwidth but didn't want to post a negative response until I had checked it out.
Sorry if you both felt we were ignoring you. That was not the case. All our members are valuable to us. As a council, however, we are still finding our feet and occasionally struggling to find the time to keep on top of our tasks here.

I would like to find out about what is already set up as an Artist Guild, and become a member if possible.
As far as I know, and please correct me anyone if I am wrong, but at present I don't think we actually have an Artist's Guild here. In fact, I'm not even sure how the guild system works here. I know Allyssa is head of the Writer's Guild, so she is probably the best person to ask about such things. I think the guilds are generally areas where like-minded people with similar interests can gather to discuss their hobbies etc. Once associated with each other, they can then share their views, art, stories etc via e-mail, mailing lists etc. If there is no guild currently running, I suggest someone starts one and advertises therein for members etc.

Can you add anything to this Allyssa, Grondy?

Mirdain

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Allyssa and Valedhelgwath, Plasticsquirrell.
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. But not to worry. I was not feeling ignored. Everyone is busy with their lives. Right now I am getting ready for an Exbition or two, so not much time to write lately.
I have sent a few photos, and I really like the idea of discussing work, especially related to JRRT and Middle Earth. I am not the best illustrator, I focus more on flora and fauna, so my work focus is on that topic, and its relation to Narrative and Mythologies.
I haven't had a chance to look through other threads that much. After this weekend ...
Names for the Guild? Arda Craftsmen (or persons) Craft of Feanor,...???
Things to ponder on.
Thanks again everyone!
Namarie
Mirdain

grondmaster

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it best to settle on a cool name first and then start the Guild Thread using it, rather than just saying "Artists' Guild". But that's just a suggestion. You peoples should choose it and the council should only have veto power if it is too outlandish, too far beyond Bree.

I can (or used to be able to) draw a straight line, circle, and ellipse freehand, but never had any luck when it came to composition, color, and coordination. Me Mum was an artist, as was her aunt. I'm limited to transcribing classical music from score to my glorified musicbox which can only have six instruments playing at any one time, still I had some more published as part of a disk magazine this month. Another fifteen seconds of fame. :D
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Misc Guilds”