New Study Session

Vee

New Study Session

Post#1 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:01 pm

A new weekly study session is in the pipeline but we need to know who is interested and which book(s) you prefer to study.

The sessions will be on Sundays at a time to be agreed - 5pm (GMT - which starts on Sunday 20 Oct) or after.

Books - either The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings (preferably)

So we need to know:

Who is interested?
Which book you wish to study/discuss? If more than one please put in order of preference.

Ideally we would like people to stay for the whole course. Please add your name, book preference and any questions you may have below.

eruwen

New Study Session

Post#2 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm definitely interested, Vee...and I promise not to cause any authoritative upheavals :). Hmmm...what book? What book? Choices, choices, choices...do you mean a particular book in the Lord of the Rings? Or just the Lord of the Rings in general? Well, I would rather study the Lord of the Rings than The Hobbit, and if I had to choose a particular book, I would have to say Book III...(my second choice would be Book I.)

Now I need to figure out what time 5pm GMT is in Pacific Standard Time...hmmm...

Túrin Turambar

New Study Session

Post#3 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:32 pm

well i would like to try it out too, but i live on the West Coast, which Pacific time)also. It's an -8 hour difference from GMT. Making your 5pm our 9am. no chance of me waking up before 9 am here, unless it's going to work :(

Vee

New Study Session

Post#4 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:18 pm

If we decide on LotR it will more than likely be all three, starting (where else) at the beginning.

As for times - we do have a problem trying to co-ordinate all the different time zones but it will be Rednell's decision ultimately as she is the one running the sessions. I did say 5pm or after so maybe a later time would suit some.

Could people add their time difference to GMT - + or - whatevernumberofhours. (If they know it, of course.)

You could, of course, move to a different time zone for the duration of the sessions.

floyd_n_milan

New Study Session

Post#5 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:54 pm

Yaaay!! The timing couldn't have been better. I'm just about to finish re-reading The Hobbit today and was wondering whether I should go for an LOTR re-read or the Silmarillion first read!! I think I'll go for LOTR with these study sessions. Time's no problem for me. But, I figure these sessions are going to take place in the chat room? In that case, people who might not be able to attend can check out the log. It's upto the CM's obviously, I was just suggesting.

And to help people with the Time Zones, here are a some links that might prove useful:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html?sort=2

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html

Túrin Turambar

New Study Session

Post#6 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:14 pm

You could, of course, move to a different time zone for the duration of the sessions.

hey that's a great idea! The easiest way to do that is to double click on the that clock in the bottom, left hand corner of the screen. Click on the "Time Zone" tab, and then adjust it to GMT.

***WARNING***
this feature will in no way affect real time, and if you arrive hours late for work, don't come crying to me :P:

virumor

New Study Session

Post#7 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:09 am

5 pm?? I get up at that hour.

Seriously, if it's 7 pm, 8 pm or 9 pm (GMT) then i'll consider joining in. I'd prefer to discuss LOTR and maybe the Silmarillion.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

terrijayne

New Study Session

Post#8 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:55 am

I would love to join this study session Vee, but probably won't be able to use the chat room feature. So if its possible to use the logs (as Floyd suggested) then please count me in. Any book works for me as I love them equally. Looking forward to it! :read:

rednell

New Study Session

Post#9 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:39 am

When we ran the classroom sessions before we found Sunday evening 5pm Atlantic time worked well. That makes it 1pm pacific and 9pm in the UK. An hour earlier or later either way works for me as well. We tried Saturday night, however, I work on Saturday and cannot get in until 6pm Atlantic at the earliest, and the attendence actually dropped. We had almost finished LOTR when summer came along.
I post the logs the week following each session. Sometimes I am a little late as it takes time to clean them up. (ie remove ip's, activity script, etc). Comments on the discussions are aways welcomed and encouraged, so using the logs if you can't make it to "class" is fine, although you won't get the same "real time" response effect.

Vee

New Study Session

Post#10 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:00 am

9 or even 10pm GMT suits me fine.

We know that not everyone will be able to make every session and the logs are helpful for that. However, it is a study/discussion session and we need enough interest and attendance for that discussion to be interesting and helpful. We welcome views and opinions and friendly discussion about them and obviously it is better if you are there, in person, rather than relying completely on the logs.

As Nell said though, the logs will be posted. And Nell, if you want, I am happy to help with that.

So come on - be there or.... the wrath of the V-goddesses will be upon you!

Return to “Tolkien Weekly Courses”