Hi, I'm new here

New to Planet-Tolkien.com? Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!
aya_amarisas

Hi, I'm new here

Post#1 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:45 pm

'Ello! My name is Heather. And I live in Florida, right in the dead center of Orlando! I'm 13, and I love too read anyhting too do with science fiction or Fantasy. And also historiacl fiction. I'm an only child, and I'm, I must say, a little, ok, QUITE obsessed woth Lord of the rings. But none of my friends or family are really into it. So, here I am, hoping too meet some people who are really into it like myself! And I go by Aya.

Ummm.. I don't really know what else too say. I speak some elvish, and I'm still learing!
Nimaree,
Aya

rhapsody

Hi, I'm new here

Post#2 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:03 am

Mae Govannen Aya_amarisas!

I hope you will find what you are looking for on this board since it offers such a variety. I would say, jump in somewhere and enjoy your stay.

Namarie,
Rhapsody
(hey that rimes!)

Amarië

Hi, I'm new here

Post#3 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:23 am

Namarie,
Rhapsody
(hey that rimes!)

*Gasp!* Does this mean you have been calling Amaree all this time? I am shocked! Young lady, I banish you to the LOTR appendix untill you have learned to pronounce the e-s at the ending of elven words. :deal: Shouldn't take long, you should be done in good time before the fireworks.

Welcome Aya_amarisas. I hope you will like it here. :)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

rhapsody

Hi, I'm new here

Post#4 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:45 am

That actually depends on which elven language... Noldorin? Sindarin? Avarin? Quenya? Telerin? Doriathrin? Or even Nandorin?

grondmaster

Hi, I'm new here

Post#5 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 pm

Well met Aya_amarisas; welcome to our happy family. :happyelf:
'Share and enjoy'

rhapsody

Hi, I'm new here

Post#6 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Namárië
Nah-MAR-ee-ay

Rhap-so-dy, if you are a Southerner or an Aussie/Kiwi I can imagine it becomes Rhap-so-day.

So your case being?

Amarië

Hi, I'm new here

Post#7 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:04 pm

That actually depends on which elven language... Noldorin? Sindarin? Avarin? Quenya? Telerin? Doriathrin? Or even Nandorin?

I'd say Quenya is a good place to start.

Elfstone

Hi, I'm new here

Post#8 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:13 pm

Welcome to PT Aya_amarisas, glad to have you here! :happyelf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Amarië

Hi, I'm new here

Post#9 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:19 pm

My case is that you are wrong. ë or e is not pronouced ay. It is like a regular e like for example a German would say it, or a Norwegian like me. Appendix E explains how to say e. I am sure the Dutch version does too.

Rhapso-day is fun to say though. :)

rhapsody

Hi, I'm new here

Post#10 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:00 pm

APPENDIX E WRITING AND SPELLING
I PRONUNCIATION OF WORDS AND NAMES

VOWELS
For vowels the letters i, e, a, o, u are used, and (in Sindarin only) y. As far as can be determined the sounds represented by these letters (other than y) were of normal kind, though doubtless many local varieties escape detection.

STRESS
The position of the 'accent' or stress is not marked, since in the Eldarin languages concerned its place is determined by the form of the word. In words of two syllables it falls in practically all cases on the first syllable. In longer words it falls on the last syllable but one, where that contains a long vowel, a diphthong, or a vowel followed by two (or more) consonants. Where the last syllable but one contains (as often) a short vowel followed by only one (or no) consonant, the stress falls on the syllable before it, the third from the end. Words of the last form are favoured in the Eldarin languages, especially Quenya.
In the following examples the stressed vowel is marked by a capital letter: isIldur, Orome, erEssëa, fËanor, ancAlima, elentÁri; dEnethor, periAnnath, ecthElion, pelArgir, silIvren. Words of the type elentÁri 'star-queen' seldom occur in Quenya where the vowel is é, á, ó, unless (as in this case) they are compounds; they are commoner with the vowels í, ú, as and Úne 'sunset, west'. They do not occur in Sindarin except in compounds. Note that Sindarin dh, th, ch are single consonants and represent single letters in the original scripts.

It says nowhere how Namarie is pronounced in that appendix. But I did found the following:
namárië. In Dutch it would be said as ie... the Dutch variant of Rhapsody ends on an ie...

No I don't have a Dutch edition of LOTR nearby.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”