Hi I'm Ant & I'm The New Owner

New to Planet-Tolkien.com? Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!
eruwen

Post#1 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:37 pm

Grep, Grep, Grep...welcome, welcome, welcome! I am a newer member here at Planet-Tolkien, but am happy to see you here as I'm sure most will be. We've been waiting with bated breath to see who the new owner would be. So...big question -- Are you a Tolkien fan?

As for improvements...a search function would be great, so we can see if someone has already written about something that we are blabbering about!

Glad to see you dropping in, and hope to see you around more.

Grep

Post#2 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:57 pm

Hey there - i've updated my post to add a bit more info - sorry the first one was so brief!

/Ant

Túrin Turambar

Post#3 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Ant and i just bought planet tolkien, I'm 29, a web designer and work in the web industry... My mum first read me the Hobbit when I was five, and i read the lord of the rings later the same year I've been a fan ever since!

Wow Ant, you must one extremely smart cookie! You read the LOTR trilogy when you were only 5 years old! I tried to read The Hobbit when i was 9 and i quit half way through, my attention span was too short. Any how mind if i ask you a personal question? If you feel like i've stepped over a boundry, just ignore my question...

The final bid for this site was, i think, 6 600 pounds ( i presume United Kingdom pound?) that is $15,376.91 Canadian dollars. (where i live) I find that to be an extremely large amount of money for an website, and am just curious to know if you have any plans to make a profit from this site?

eruwen

Post#4 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:16 pm

Túrin -- Do you really mean to ask Grep if he plans on charging membership fees?

In any case, I would believe someone who spends that much on a site must want to profit from it in one way or another and not just purchase it out of his absolute love of Tolkien and all of Tolkien's fans. This may not mean he will charge membership fees, but could benefit from it through advertisements and even as a portfolio to show potential clients.

I know...I'm not even Grep, and I find your question a bit over the boundary, but I suppose I should wait for Grep to answer...

Oh and yes, I agree...if you read LOTR when you were 5, you must be one smart cookie! That's funny, I, too, attempted to read The Hobbit when I was 9 and ended up putting it down.

laurelindhe ilmarin

Post#5 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:30 pm

Hello, Grep!
Welcome to Planet Tolkien, a great community of respect and fellowship. The most unique aspect of this site is its international membership, a fantastic group of warm people.

Thank you for introducing yourself. I cannot speak for the rest of us, but we were a tad bit worried about the new owner...I think perhaps we can all rest at ease. It is like someone here(that I admire and respect very much)said recently-Why would you buy something that you would need to completely work over to bring it up to your standards? But you seem open and friendly, so nice to have you aboard! What a wonderful investment! Now, to mimic Turin's question, will you be instituting any new costs to the members for membership or the like? I hope not...the Tolkien Estate would likely come after you! :wink: Only giving you a tough time-call it New Boss hazing for initiation's sake if you'd like.

A couple of suggestions, if I may:
1. A search option for Tolkien-related data is wanted very badly by most people here-we are sick of the Encyclopedia of Arda!(At least I am...)
2. I have recently made very shallow, ludicrous attempts at getting the former owner to restore the Art Galleries...would it really take all that much? There are some very talented fan artists here that could assist, I am sure...Anyway, it is a wish of mine to be able to see them someday again.

Best of luck with your newly acquired online community...just remember...
WE ARE WATCHING!!! :funnylaugh:

Vee

Post#6 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:26 am

Phew! I am so relieved you are a Tolkien fan. I mean, any decent, self-respecting Tolkien fan would recognise this site as a wonderful place. and would wish to preserve and improve without unnecessary destruction.. so why haven't you joined before? (grin). You liked it so much you bought it instead!

Lots of questions but they can wait. I look forward to hearing your plans. I've had great fun with PT both as a member and a Council Member and I hope I (and everyone else) can be of help to you. Just shout if you need anything. Tea? Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Redbush, Yorkshire, Darjeeling or Assam? Milk? Sugar?

floyd_n_milan

Post#7 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:39 am

Well i work with computers and the definition of grep is:
Acronym for Global-Regular-Expression-Print, grep is a utility that allows you to search through files for specicif paterns, including regular expressions and strings. fgrep (FAST-GREP) performs a similar function without expanding special characters from a string. See also Regular Expression. (rezidew)

Is that from the man page? :P

You know what? The first thing that came to my mind after reading Grep was.......... grep! I find that thing very much likable and I'm sure I'll have the same feelings for you! (If I don't already ;) ) :)

deathmc

Post#8 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:05 am

Welcome Grep!

Seems you have already two positive points:
1) Tolkien fan
2) Unix fan

I think it will be nice having you here!

terrijayne

Post#9 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:54 am

Welcome Grep to the little family we have here at PT. Guess this now makes you head of the household and resident benevolent leader. Looking forward to getting to know you better by reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to say hello and give a little info about yourself. Cheers and welcome again Grep! :wavehello:

Grep

Post#10 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 am

:wavehello: Hi everyone, I'm Ant and i just bought planet tolkien, I'm 29, and work in the web industry... My mum first read me the Hobbit when I was five, and i read the lord of the rings later the same year I've been a fan ever since!

I really do want to reassure everyone i'm going to preserve planet tolkien's community - we won't make any changes without discussion with the council. I want to improve what's here not change it - feel free to ask me any questions that may occur to you!

You'll also be meeting Holly soon who will work closely with the council and the members on content based changes and updates

Please let me know any thoughts you have on the future of planet tolkien.

--- ah and why grep?

Well i work with computers and the definition of grep is:

Acronym for Global-Regular-Expression-Print, grep is a utility that allows you to search through files for specicifed paterns, including regular expressions and strings. fgrep (FAST-GREP) performs a similar function without expanding special characters from a string. See also Regular Expression.

It's kinda a bad unix joke!

/Ant

---------answers to questions ----------
"Wow Ant, you must one extremely smart cookie! You read the LOTR trilogy when you were only 5 years old!"

errm well I was a special needs kid and while i had a stupidly high reading age, loved the TV news, newspapers, and could read books like LOTR and the like i couldn't do any maths and had terrible trouble communicating with anyone under the age of 30 (dictionary definition of geek is what i'm trying to say here)

"and am just curious to know if you have any plans to make a profit from this site?"

well honestly yes, but this doesn't involve charging the members - i do want to introduce and online store using amazon afiliates and i would ask members to purchase books and DVD's through us whenever possible - i love the community and want to expand the site but this will cost money and the site does need to pay for itself - but please don't worry this is your site and all changes will be discussed with the council first. We won't be putting advertising in every corner but will be expanding the sites commercial activity (hopefully in a good and useful way).

1. A search option for Tolkien-related data is wanted very badly by most people here-we are sick of the Encyclopedia of Arda!(At least I am...)

i'll look into it - it's possible the google site search tool may work i'll have to do some research and testing - but congratulations it's on the list!

2. I have recently made very shallow, ludicrous attempts at getting the former owner to restore the Art Galleries...would it really take all that much? There are some very talented fan artists here that could assist, I am sure...Anyway, it is a wish of mine to be able to see them someday again.

I would very much like to see them back up but the reason they were taken down again because of problems from the tolkien estate which i will need to look into before doing anything.

so why haven't you joined before? (grin). You liked it so much you bought it instead!

Very good question! Mostly in the last five years i've lived in Australia, Belgium, New Zealand, England and the USA and in Aussie this (Route 69) has been my hobby with a friend of mine, Aussie isn't really a place for indoor pursuits!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”