Mae Govannen

New to Planet-Tolkien.com? Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!
luthiencalafalas

Mae Govannen

Post#1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Mae Govannen. I am called Luthien Calafalas, or in the common tongue my name would be Andrea. I am 36 years old, married for 13 years, with 2 teenage daughters and a 5 month old boxer puppy called Hephaestian.

I live in a converted school house (think Little House on the Prairie, only bigger) in Tennessee, and work as credit manager for a jewelry store. I love to read anything I can get my hands on, listen to all genres of music, and be with my family.

My husband is a volunteer fire fighter, and my 17 year old just got her first job and driver's permit. I like to host Party Lite candle and Pampered Chef parties, and collect many different things. As you can probably tell, my life is rather busy!

That's about it about me I guess. Nice to meet ya'll.

Vee

Mae Govannen

Post#2 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:33 am

Hi and welcome to PT, Luthiencalafalas. I loved reading the Little House on the Prairie(etc) books when I was a kid. I always wanted to live in a house like On The Banks of Plum Creek.

Hope to see you around in various discussions.

turion

Mae Govannen

Post#3 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 am

hi an welcom to PT, i hope you have a good a time as i have been having :D

as a small aside you said

"Luthien Calafalas, or in the common tongue my name would be Andrea"
well i dont think luthian can really be translated as andrea,

Andrea comes from the Greek name Andreas which in turn came from the word Andros "man", and is ment to convey the meaning "manly" (sorry, im sur your not really manly!) in quenya this would be something like Veon, for sindarin i would probally save face and go for "man-maiden" to clear up any confusion a name like "manly" could cause, so possibly Adanwen,(although i persoanlly would prefere the slightly more archaic dîrwen (dîr "Arch.  man, referring to an adult male (elf, mortal, or of any other speaking race) + wen "maiden", luthien i would imagine contains the word lutha- "to enchant" and so i dont think is even anywhere near themeaning of your name,

i digress tho, welcome !! :D

turion

Mae Govannen

Post#4 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:47 am

as an additional to the above message, Luthien i think would maybe be rendered in real world languages as,
ZORAIDA, a feminine name, used in spain, it comes from Arabic meaning "enchanting woman" (fits MY entymology of the name luthien given above, an definatly fits the 'real' luthien)

:D

(i know you didnt quite mean that comment in the way i have taken, but hey, ya learn something new every day ehh?)

virumor

Mae Govannen

Post#5 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:54 am

Andrea comes from the Greek name Andreas which in turn came from the word Andros "man", and is ment to convey the meaning "manly" (sorry, im sur your not really manly!)

Yes, and that is why Andrea is used as a man's name in Italy.

in quenya this would be something like Veon, for sindarin i would probally save face and go for "man-maiden" to clear up any confusion a name like "manly" could cause, so possibly Adanwen

What about Nerwen, Galadriel's mother-name?

Welcome to the forums, Lúthien.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Amarië

Mae Govannen

Post#6 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 am

well i dont think luthian can really be translated as andrea

I don't think she ment it like that, I'm pretty sure she was just trying to say that her real name was Andrea. ;)
Which is a female name i Norway too btw. Welcome welcome! :wavehello:
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Loss

Mae Govannen

Post#7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 am

Welcome Luthien, enjoy your stay here, hopefully you will stay here for a while, for we are a friendly lot, so please feel free to PM any member for any queries you may have :orcsmilie:

:orcthumbs: Share what you know and learn what you seek :elfbiggrin:

turion

Mae Govannen

Post#8 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:23 pm

Virumor, i belive that nerwen is half quenya and half sindarin, Ner being the quenya word for "man" (in the NON-biblical sense) + -wen (sindarin "maiden") :D

and i know what she ment, hence my commment in my second post :D

grondmaster

Mae Govannen

Post#9 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Welcome to Planet-Tolkien Luthiencalafalas. :happyelf:

I think both your names are beautiful and a rose by any other name will still look, smell, and taste as sweet, no matter what our local loquacious linguists have to say. :elfbiggrin:

Share and enjoy.
'Share and enjoy'

halbard

Mae Govannen

Post#10 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:09 pm

Welcome, Andrea. I live in the mountains of North Carolina. Beautiful part of world to live in. Make yourself at home. You'll enjoy the lengthy digressions and friendly banter in the inns. This is a great place to hangout.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”