Purist scale

New to Planet-Tolkien.com? Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!
Noom Chevaline

Purist scale

Post#1 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I wonder if we should have a sliding scale with, liberals being -10 moderates being around 0 and purists being at around +10.
I recon The Tyrant is about +9.5 and PJ is about -3. I would rate myself at being about +6. Anywhere above +4 you can call yourself a purist and anywhere below -4 you should call yourself a liberal.

Odo Banks

Purist scale

Post#2 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

"I'm late, I'm late - for a very important date!"

But before I rush off (or get killed by Primmy!) I have to say: GB is definitely Minus 8, and closer to 9 actually, but I'll cure him, you see if I don't! Eldo, I feel is somewhere on the scale between -4 and +4; Tinuviel sadly too close to the Liberal sector for comfort (despite her lovely nose), and Mr Tyrant is going to be most crabbity you gave him such a low number on your scale!!! :lol:

Biffo says, "Catch youse lader, allegaters!" ( :oops: ...and Primmy sends her all her love and kisses... :oops: )

Eldorion

Purist scale

Post#3 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Is a +10 purist the stereotypical "RAR I hate any changes from the book!" type of individual or someone who holds to a more realistic and pragmatic approach, however strongly?

Odo Banks

Purist scale

Post#4 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Obviously a +10 would be someone who will accept NO CHANGE, Eldo. I only wish I could be Brave and Smart enough to hold such a view. Even Mr Tyrant granted the movies fifteen minutes of reasonable cinematography (though I suspect he only said it so as not to sound totally inflexible :geek: ). Eldo, I suspect you of having too close an affinity with a certain enemy of all True Purists who is worse than Sauron and Morgoth put together. (You know who I'm talking about - "He who must not be named." NO! It's not Voldemort, you fool of a Took! :x )

Eldorion

Purist scale

Post#5 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 pm

The problem with the extreme position is of course that, much as the fact is over-repeated by defenders of the films, there are crucial differences in the media. You can't use a book as a screenplay and expect it to work because of time and pacing issues. People can spend months reading a book, but you've only got about three hours total for a theatrical movie. You also have to keep things visually interesting, which makes long sequences of dialogue hard to retain literally. In short, the story has to adapt to fit the new medium. That doesn't mean that all of the changes that PJ made were necessary, but some changes will inevitably have to be made.

Gandalfs Beard

Purist scale

Post#6 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:40 am

Yes indeed Eldo, Noom's scale seems ludicrously biased to me :roll: .

I'm certainly no fanatic, but even I have some Purist sentiments. I'm just not strictly attached to them as long as a film maintains the essentials of plotting and characterization. As I've said before, I prefer films which are at least 60% true to their source material, and even better 70-80% (in terms of subtracting story elements, I don't count additions). On Noom's scale that would place me well into the Purist Side.

GB

Odo Banks

Purist scale

Post#7 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:48 am

My suggestion for the scale:

10+ ABSOLUTELY TRUE TO TEXT = Purist "SUPREME." (Yes, an impossible standard).

1+- 9+ MINOR DELETIONS = Purist "EXCELLENT." (Yes, almost impossible).

0 - 9- MINOR ADDITIONS = Impure "PERSON" (Eldorion and Tinuviel)

Minus 10 - 50 LOTS OF CHANGES/ADDITIONS/DELETIONS but keep title "The Hobbit" ( but only if you feel like it) = Bearded "LIBERAL."
/

Tinuviel

Purist scale

Post#8 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:47 am

ya, I'd put myself at -6 or so. I understand why they change it, but I don't neccessarily enjoy HOW they change it.

Eldorion

Purist scale

Post#9 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 am

I don't like the definition of purist as someone who clings to the details of the story and complains about every last change. Now before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I think a lot of cuts are necessary to make a movie, particularly a good movie. However, I have strong feelings about how the process of adaptation should be approached and whether PJ did a good job or not, so I consider myself a purist (and on most forums I'm one of the most extreme; few people will go so far as Odo and petty). There are, I suppose, variants of purism. More than I have alredy mentioned even, since there are also those who want the spirit of the book to be preserved, something I am quite vocal in not caring about very much compared to the details. :mrgreen:

Noom Chevaline

Purist scale

Post#10 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 am

Dear Odo Banks, I can see why it is your brother that is WISE and not yourself. Wise Odo would not have seen the need to change the lower part of the scale from -10 to -50. It is now a very lop sided scale. -50 to +10. Someone else will want to change it from -50 to +50 and then we will have the purists saying I am the purist and then when one purist is arrogant enough to claim the high ground of +50 someone else will change the scale to _100 to +100. I bet you are one of these people that sais, "I am behind you 110% when every real person knows that there is only 100%. Oh Wise Odo, I am so glad you are on this forum, you add a lot of class to the vulgarity that goes on here. :ugeek:

Return to “Introduce yourself!”