Re-Introduce yourself.

New to Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:06 pm

A quick plea, it must be strange to see us here and it's strange for us to be in a new environment.

Once upon a time we all joined a forum somewhere and said hi. We all shared a little about ourselves so others might get a sense of who we are, As we try to merge our communities it might be nice to share again.

I know I did a bit in the THM saying Hi thread, but I'll recap here too! Tolkien fan since the age of 10 I regularly reread the books, which have spolit me for fantasy. Love Narnia, HP and Pratchett too!

Other authors i frequently return to are Aldiss, Peter F Hamilton, Bernard Cornwell and Jane Austen

I enjoyed the LOTR films and still do, although in discussion with others I am increasingly 'Purist' in my opinions.

So how about you?

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm a college student, I live in Maryland in the U.S.  I read Tolkien for the when I was about nine around though I didn't see the films until several years after they came out.  I'm a purist but I'm not one of the people who thinks every little thing should have been included (on most forums I've been to very few if any people say that) or who hate the films - I love them, I just think they have some significant flaws.

Along with Tolkien my childhood classics were Harry Potter and Star Wars.  More recently I've gotten into other fantasy works in different genres, including A Song of Ice and Fire and Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I also watch anime, some of which (most notably Fullmetal Alchemist) can be classified as fantasy. :D

It's nice to meet all of you, and I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone I've talked to in different threads and through the chat - you've all been very friendly and welcoming. :)

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi, again, Kafria and Eldoiran.

I live in eastern Canada (where we have wayyyyyyy too much snow, atm!!!) and work in a public library.

I love Tolkien and have a sizable collection of books by the professor and Tolkien books by various authors. Besides the works by Tolkien, I love the Tolkien inspired art books the most.

I love the movies for what they are and I love the books for what they are.  Afterall, it is all about perspective. As we have seen in forum discussions; we often have a different opinion on how Tolkien's characters related to Middle Earth and the plot of the epic tale. It only stands to reason that the screen writers and director would create a visual version of the books as they interpret them.

I would like to welcome our new friends from THM and I know that we will be old friends in no time. :)

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#4 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm

A very deep and heartfelt welcome. Eldorian and Tinuviel made me feel much less overwhelmed and I thank you Kafria for this thread.

I am of Celtic Jewish extraction and our home, even before I knew the beloved professor Tolkien looked like Rivendell so that was rather strange and shocking to me to see part of our life as it were on the big screen.

I am one of those purists who believes if you are going to call something the same as the author you had better keep things pure and the way it is written , or call it something else and then the sky is the limit.

I did love the movies overall, there were a lot of things I would have loved to see different, but each creative person's mind is unique and one must appreciate what we have in some respects.I do like very much Jack's body of work(C.S.Lewis) I am and always will be a child at heart and so much appreciate what Tolkien and Lewis did to contribute to that ageless , timeless gift of great imagination.

I recommend to our new members getting to know any on the council, they are the coolest and intelligent and I have learned so very much from them.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all, as many as possible at least much better. It is an honor to have you come to us.

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I live in the State of Georgia in the southeastern U.S. I am  a college student for tax and insurance purposes. I have been a member of Planet-Tolkien since I was in the seventh grade. I have used the pronoun "I" to begin every sentence in this short paragraph.

I think that the movies were well-done, but they lacked the "feel" of the books in several ways. I am usually annoyed whenever a movie is made based on a book that I like. I am usually curious to see how it looks on screen, but I usually just see it as an attempt by other people to make money off of the author's originality.

It has been several years since I have read The Lord of the Rings. The first time was in the sixth grade, and I read it at least two more times before high school. Actually, maybe I only read it twice; my memory isn't the best. I am also a Star Wars fan, and one who happens to think that the "Expanded Universe" is getting out of hand.

I enjoy playing guitar and drums (rest assured I have very little talent), cooking, and going well out of my way to play jokes on other people. In case it has not been made apparently obvious, I can be extremely opinionated. In all likelihood, I will drift in and out of Planet-Tolkien with periods of absence and activity that may last for several months. People, including my mother and my girlfriend, have stated that is very difficult to tell when I am and am not joking; I thought that it would be a good idea to mention this.

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#6 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Welcome guys, I'm Rho (short for Rhodry,  the main character of my favorite fantasy series) I live in New Zealand and am a dairy farmer, though myself and my wife Siran (Saille) are working towards starting up a pet shop here in Kerikeri where we live one day soon we hope.

i first read Tolkien when I was 13 and that started a life long passion for all things fantasy, but alas i must admit that I'm not a particularly big fan of his, I struggle to enjoy his style, but i think that's says more about me than him, after all I think only the bible has sold more copies than the LOTRs, and I myself struggle to write a shopping list. I think the story and plot are superb however and enjoy the movies immensely, and have no problems with the changes PJ made, but then after all I'm a tad biased :)

Why do I belong to a Tolkien fan forum then you ask?, well I stumbled Upon this site almost 10 years ago and the intelligence, depth and politeness of the people here struck a cord with me and I decided to stay, I don't contribute much to the Tolkien discussion but am a constant lurker.

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#7 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 am

Hallow everyone!

My first experience on Tolkien was a comic adaptation for kids in a magazine. Then I read the Hobbit and it just grabbed me. I learned English on my own to be able to read Unfinished Tales.

I live in Bulgaria and in RL I am a financial auditor. I love nature, long walks outside civilized parts into more beautiful and much purer places.

I've joined this site some two years ago and it was my first community sharing of Tolkien Passion, and I am very happy and satisfied with my participation around here. I feel still newbie in Tolkine's world, but sharing opinions and reading others ideas is by my opinion the right way towards the true.

My opinion on the movies I have expressed many times and I will not put it here, since not many good things I can share about.

I wish to wish you more and more health, joy and love!

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#8 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 am

Hello and welcome:)

I'm from an Eastern state in India and I read my first Tolkien after the movies released.Before that I had no clue he existed.I began with the trilogy then went on to read most of his other works.My favorite is The Hobbit.

Apart from Tolkien I was struck by the Harry Potter boom and remain an avid fan but I'm not much into the movies.Since I saw the Trilogy on screen before I read them,I really don't have any problems with the movies.

I joined PT around May(?) last year and I really like it here,although I'm not able to give proper Tolkieny back-up to discussions all the time partly because I don't own any of the books(except LotR)and references are hard to fall back on and partly because I have a very busy academic life(lots of exams) but I do enjoy reading the wisdom and charisma of our members and now yours as you are now one of us or we are one of you..whatever:)

Anyways well met.."Let us rebuild this world that we may share together in times of peace(?)"

I think I messed that Aragorn-dialogue up.

Oerath Windsoul

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 am

Greetings to all of you, and welcome.

I'm Oerath, and I live in Southern Finland. I've many kind of interests and beliefs, but well, about my interests first. Writing, reading and music have always scored the best out of me, and back then when I was a kid, about 6 or 7 years old (Now I'm 20), I found a great book, which appeared to be LOTR, and well, it was a very rainy day, and I had nothing else to do, so I decided to try and grip it from it's shelf, which proved to be a difficult task to complete. I finally got the book, but I fell on my back and that book also fell with me and opened on the floor from the map sections, and I spent many hours looking at all of those maps, but I didn't understand anything of it. I did also read some of the text, but back then it was pretty tough to understand all of those words and sentences. And so my interest grew and grew, and as years passed, I read more of Tolkien's books, and eventually became a great fan of him. And to this day, I've read and re-read most of his books, and I still love them very much. He was a great writer, and has been like a idol for me in writing for the past 7 years, since I was at age of 13, when I began to find some peace through writing lyrics etc.

That's a bit about it. So, as I already said. I'm a writer and a musician, I play drums and sing, and as I get to it, I'll start to play keyboards and piano too.

When it comes to beliefs, It's a very tough question, but well, basicly I'm a pagan, and I'm also interested in myths, legends and common folklore, and things like occultism, mysticism and magic interests me a lot too.

Also something about this wonderful site: I found PT many years ago, but bit over 7-8 months, I returned here, and finally found something I've been looking for a very long time. A hall full of good folk. And so I began to share some of my writings/works, and as people seemed to like of them, I began to share even more, and now I write as regularly as I can, or depending on my inspiration and moods, and share a lot with the people of this site. And despite the fact that I've known many of you here in PT for only the time being, you're all very nice persons to talk with, and if anyone wants to pass by and have a chat, I'll gladly accept the chance.

- Oerath Windsoul.

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

Re-Introduce yourself.

Post#10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 am

Thank you all for your responses to this, it helps to get a feel for who is here and what you are like.A nice diverse group of people is always good for discussions. Hopefully over time we will see a few more of the old Hobbit Movie Forumers here too! I have to say those who have spotted me lurking have been very friendly and it has been nice to have a quick chat with you. I will start posting a bit more as I find my feet. As I mentioned I had not really analyzed the films or in truth really thought about my interpretation of the books till I started posting, so this is a whole new adventure in Tolkien for me.

No doubt I'll post along with some of you soon!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”