Greetings from Hîn-O-Elessar!

New to Planet-Tolkien.com? Post a introduction here and let our members welcome you!
Hîn-O-Elessar

Post#1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:09 am

Well met!

I'm a young woman from Denmark with a year long interest in Tolkien and especially The Lord of the Rings. I won't call myself an expert though, because noone can obviously know everything about this magnificent story. :)

I've always refered to The Lord of the Rings when asked about my relegion, and I have a very strong emotional relationship with especially the story of Aragorn and Arwen and the story of the elves.
Therefore I'm of course studying the elvish language and writing as much as possible, and know all of the phrases and songs from the films, and some of the elvish poems from the books, by heart. ;)

I am also the proud owner of the Evenstar pendant of Arwen, Frodo's sword Sting and of course Aragorns sword Anduril. More pieces are to come. Hopefully! :)

I very much like to believe that The Lord of the Rings and everything about it really took place, because this gives me an imaginary world to seek refuge and strength in, when things in this world gets a little rough.

My name by the way means 'Child-Of-Elessar' in Sindarin. ;)

odette

Post#2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 am

Welcome Hin-O-Elessar.Join the threads and have fun:)

Hîn-O-Elessar

Post#3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 am

Galin: I always appreciate getting help with my elvish, even though I've been studying it for many years, I am very much aware that I'm not perfect, neither good at it! :)

I am also aware that Elessar is Quenya, but in this context I used it more as a name than as a word. And  I know that the words may be, may not be correct, thinking of the parental part of it, but as in a lot of the other elvish words, it seems that there no complete answer to be found. Therefore I choose to use the simplest form of the phrase I could, resulting in Hïn O Elessar. :)

I comfort myself with the thought that even though it may not be 100% correct, an elf would probably still understand what I was trying to say. :D

Odette: Thank you! :)

leelee

Post#4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Well welcome however you write your name. And ............wow. I know almost zero about these awesome languages. I did try to find some time around last year, but had to get down to business with Hebrew, French and Irish Gaelic which I promptly forgot as soon as two weeks had passed without my using it.

Please feel absolutely free to teach us anything you know and I can tell you that you will absolutely love this place. I came about 2008 and thought I would stay a month or so. Then I fell in love with Grondy, Loss, ,Vir, Amarie Cloveress and so many many others and my heart refused to let me leave since then.

Hîn-O-Elessar

Post#5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 am

Thank you very much LeeLee.

I expect to stay for a long time as well. ;)

Loss

Post#6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 am

Welcome and hello!  to our small planet with a big heart.

It's nice to see one so enthusiastic about the languages.  I do like the plain forms of the languages, so you can leave the small fiddle-y parts to your own opinion and whatever you're happy with you stick with.  But it is good to see Galin put in his know-how on the subjects.  We learn and learn more with him, even though some may not keep up!

Leelee, I think that even if you told us that you were planning on staying for a month or so, we would have chained you to the Khazad-dumish Inn, you would have warmed to us eventually .

So, have a look around Hin o Elessar and if you like us, you may not be chained to the Inn after all!

You know, I used to be Elessar Lossehelin and all called me Elessar, that is, until Loss caught on, of which, and don't quote me Galin, was meaning:  elfstone within an icy pool, but one thing is for sure, Loss means snow/ice 

galin

Post#7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 am

Glad you don't mind. The last thing I would want to do is annoy someone away from chatting Tolkien! 

galin

Post#8 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:52 am

Hello and welcome.

I hope you don't mind, but chances to chat Sindarin are not that frequent, especially considering chances within the context of what I think I can comment on with 'some' confidence!

While it's certainly not 'wrong' to use Quenya Elessar, if you wanted a more fully Sindarin version Edhelharn 'Elfstone' is attested by JRRT in the King's Letter --  of course at the time this was 'Noldorin' but I see no problems with it in a Sindarin context (we have -harn from sarn here I would guess).

As for o it's pretty well attested as meaning 'from' -- thus it sort of means 'of' in this sense. Tolkien notes (in Words, Phrases and Passages) that in older Sindarin it had the form od before a vowel. Or from War of the Jewels...

'The preposition o [is] the usual word for 'from, of'... As the mutations following the preposition o show, it must prehistorically have ended in -t or -d. Possibly, therefore, it comes from *aud... [The preposition o] is normally o in all positions, though od appears occasionally before vowels, especially before [words beginning in] o-."

I don't know if there's anything else on it (didn't check all sources) but in conjunction with names, the genitive expression 'of' is attested without any article in a Tolkien-published context: Ennyn Durin Aran Moria 'Doors (of) Durin Lord (of) Moria'.

With your name we have a 'parental' relationship (or possibly so), yet still with Narn i·Chîn Hurin  we have no article for Children (of) Hurin.

So my guess would be *Hên   Edhelharn 'Child of Elfstone'

For 'Child':

'S. has hê n, pl hîn  mostly used as a prefix in patronymics or metronymics: as Hî n Hú rinririn 'The Children of Hú rin' (JRRT, War of the Jewels. Narn i·Chîn Hú rin  is due to mutation occurring in this example).

Not much of a greeting I know! but again I hope you don't mind me being annoying about your name. Also I could be wrong of course... I'm certainly no expert in Sindarin, but when it comes to names I think I'm doing alright.

Anway welcome... and apologies for my pedantry

Hîn-O-Elessar

Post#9 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Loss

Thanks for the appreciation of my (and Galin's) interest in the languages. It's nice to finally get some credit for what other people just find really odd and a waste of time. :P

I've also been called Elessar a few times already, so maybe I'll end up with some completely other name as well! Haha..

Oh, and actually, I find The Khazad-dumish Inn rather nice, I can definitely think of worse places to be chained up! :D

See you around. ;)

Loss

Post#10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 am

That's alright, I find it interesting reading the definitions of what words could mean and how one got there from letters and indexes.  It's all part of learning and knowing :)

You may be right there, I changed my name after two years or so, maybe less.  As suddenly we had a rush of 'Elessar's come in and when someone was referring to me, the rest would follow and it all became very confusing, so I requested a couple start calling me Loss and it caught on.  I have a feeling it was Clover who started it.  But I think the next surge of members coming in will all be Will Baggins of Underhill and Primula Sackville of Overhill, as the up coming films will attract alot of inactive Hobbits and some new ones :)

Haha, that's why you would be chained to the Inn, it's so nice you would never want to leave and the chains are then removed

So where in Denmark are you from?  Tell us a bit about yourself 

Return to “Introduce yourself!”