Hobbit Movie News

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Having finished the Forum early today, I went looking for info concerning the long proposed movie of 'The Hobbit'. I couldn't find anything newer than from August 2007.

New Line still holds the rights, but it looks like they must get moving with a 2009 release deadline or lose those rights.

New Line has been quietly negotiating behind the scenes trying to hire Peter Jackson, who is still holding out pending payment of money he says New Line still owes him for the LOTR film trilogy.

Ian McKellen was still interested in doing the role of Gandalf.
'Share and enjoy'

leelee

Hobbit Movie News

Post#2 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:16 pm

If this does not work out I shall always hold Newline responsible. It would not kill th em to pay up and if I were Peter I would have a battery of lawyers for the next contract so that I would not be shafted again. Oh I wish they would just get on with it. It is past time we all settled in and watched another journey into Middle-Earth. And even Ian does not grow younger.

Lord Of All

Hobbit Movie News

Post#3 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:20 am

On the plus sides with a film of The Hobbit they could pretty much include everything in the book. With LOTR it was simply too much to cram (anyone else see the connection with this word?) into three films.
So that should give it accuracy, lastly I just hope they have the same Gandalf and Bilbo as they did in the last film.

grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#4 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:19 pm

I just hope they have the same Gandalf and Bilbo as they did in the last film.
Gandalf probably, Bilbo possibly not. It might be harder to turn an elderly Sir Ian Holm into a young hobbit, he is 76 after all. Yes they did it in the Fellowship, but he didn't have many action scenes in that movie; I can't see him climbing into the treetops looking at black flutterbys or to rescue Dwarves from the spiders.
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Hobbit Movie News

Post#5 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Gandalf probably, Bilbo possibly not. It might be harder to turn an elderly Sir Ian Holm into a young hobbit, he is 76 after all.

Bilbo was 50 when he embarked on the journey, and when Gandalf saw the rascal again 61 years later he noticed how he had not aged a day - hence Bilbo should not look different than in the beginning of FOTR movie.

But, indeed, the fact that 50-year old Frodo looks like a 16-year old in the film, whilst Bilbo who "didn't age a day since he was 50" looks 60-70 in FOTR movie, is ludicrous.

Of course PJ didn't care about the time and made it look like the entire War of the Ring was over in two weeks, but still it is a point that needs to be made.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Amarië

Hobbit Movie News

Post#6 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:54 am

I think we can say it is the 33-year old Frodo which looks like a 16-year old. None of the hobbits aged a day during the 17 years between the party and when Frodo starts his journey, it looked more like 27 days. Or less. I can't remember if they mention Frodos age at all? So from the movies' point of view, sir Ian might have a chance...
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#7 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:57 pm

But is a 76 year young actor sprightly enough to play the part of Bilbo in The Hobbit Movie?
'Share and enjoy'

mellon

Hobbit Movie News

Post#8 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:42 pm

But is a 76 year young actor sprightly enough to play the part of Bilbo in The Hobbit Movie?

Maybe so ( If he live long enough), we all what difference MAKEUP can do and I'm sure they'll use stand-in as well

elanorraine

Hobbit Movie News

Post#9 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:21 am

Anyone here read the LOTR first (as an adult) and then read the Hobbit later? It can be a huge disappointment to those expecting more LoTR. I hope, if a Hobbit movie is made, that it's marketed properly -- to children -- and not sold to adults looking for the same kind of complex storyline as in the trilogy of films. (Believe it or not, there are plenty of movie people who haven't read any of the books!)

grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#10 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:46 pm

That last bit is true Elanorraine, we need to tell them how much they have missed by not reading the books.

I saw New Line's two High Mucky-mucks on Charlie Rose's TV program, I think it was Thursday night, and they said they still hadn't given up on Peter Jackson for The Hobbit Movie director, but that there were plenty of other directors out there who could do the story justice.

'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”