Hobbit Movie News

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#51 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:44 pm

I've heard they are going to turn it into a two-parter and we have must guess where they will split it. I'm currently trying to decide if it will be:

(1)When Bilbo is dropped in the tunnel and knocked unconscious while the company is running away from the Orcs. And then will continue when he comes to himself and finds the Ring.

(2) When he escapes through the Orcs' back door and loses his buttons and finds he is all alone on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains.

(3) When Gandalf leaves for Dol Guldur and they are getting ready to enter Mirkwood.

The latter seems most plausible to me, but it all depends on how much of the history they tell prior to Bilbo's unexpected tea party and into which half the place the White Council's Dol Guldur Expedition. What do you think?
'Share and enjoy'

gandalf-olorin

Hobbit Movie News

Post#52 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 am

You are right, Grondy. The first movie might leave off almost anywhere deemed midplot to a story which has more in it than the main plotline of The Hobbit.

For myself, I think a good place to stop would be "Barrels Out of Bond," that is, if this is even included. After all, the longest chapter in the book is "Flies and Spiders." But most of the action in that chapter is in the last part when Bilbo and the dwarves battle the spiders and afterward discover Thorin missing. I rather think that hopefully we shall see the inside of the Elvenking's caves. Maybe we will even see Legolas--looking (how shall we say?) younger, if that's possible for an elf. So if the story goes that far, I think a good point to stop would be when Bilbo finds the means of escape, the dwarves are packed in barrels, and they are all flung into the Forest River. We might even follow them out (during end-credits) to where they are lashed together, and maybe even to the bay of Laketown.

In other words, the first movie would be concerned with getting from Hobbiton to within hailing distance of the Mountain. The second movie would be concerned with immediate preparations to arrive at the Mountain, what happened there, and what happened as a result. The climax, as in the book, would be the Battle of the Five Armies. But of course, even if this sounds logical to others here, it will not necessarily be the "logic" chosen by the movies' producers and directors. Still, with the penchant movie-makers have for depicting war and the more gruesome side of Tolkien's subcreation, I suspect this division might offer some possibilities.

Gandalf

grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#53 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Ian McKellen, who will be donning Gandalf's gray robes in the upcoming Hobbit movies, says he's finally read the script for the films.

You can read more about it over at SCI FI Wire.
'Share and enjoy'

rho

Hobbit Movie News

Post#54 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Heres a few tidbits about the movie straight from the horses mouth as it were.

Concerning any delays...

Well, it's not really been delayed, because we've never announced the date. I mean it's sort of interesting because the studio [MGM] has never greenlit The Hobbit, so therefore The Hobbit has never been officially announced as a 'go' project, nor have we ever announced a date. But there's so much interest that people — newspapers and magazines, of their own account, say, ah, it's likely to film in May, it's likely to film in June, it's likely to film in September. People make this stuff up. And then if it's not filming in June, you get a story saying, "The Hobbit's been delayed." But it's never actually been announced.

Concerning returning actors....

We haven't signed any actors up yet, because we couldn't do that until they greenlight the movie. But I would imagine that if we get a green light within the next month or two, we would be hopefully making some casting announcements by, I guess, the middle of the year. We've done a little bit of auditioning, but we haven't really done any meetings with actors or anything yet. We've just been totally committed to the scripts. Everything's a little bit later than what people assume it is. I think people think we've been sort of doing secret casting
I mean, any character that's returning from The Lord of the Rings, we obviously would love the same actors to play. But even those actors haven't been approached yet, or there [haven't] been any deals done. And the studio wouldn't organically do any of that until they've greenlit the film.

And finally, concerning shooting........

We've just delivered the script. Literally last week, we delivered the second of the two screenplays—the first draft. So the studio's got both scripts now, which is a milestone; and if anything was holding it up, it was us doing the screenplays, because we'd just been writing as fast as we can, but it took us this long to get them finished. So we take whatever responsibility there is for the speed. And we're now in the process of budgeting the films, and then hopefully we'll get to a budget the studio [people] are happy with, and they'll greenlight the movies and we'll announce the shooting dates. I'd be pretty optimistic that we'll be shooting before the end of the year. I would imagine October, November, we'd be shooting by. I'm not announcing it, though.

So we're a while off yet but overall good news...it still all happening.

cloveress

Hobbit Movie News

Post#55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:12 pm

I just read that little thing on our homepage about making the Hobbit like Avatar... Made me shudder. MGM will be burned to the ground by angry Tolkien fans if that happens :)

ammornil

Hobbit Movie News

Post#56 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:11 am

Well, it is not the place here, but just to make a starter: I think Avatar was not bad, but really they've spent fife times more money on commercial than on the movie and it was a waste...

If the Hobit is meant to be done the "Avatar-way" I will still watch it more times than I did Avatar (which was twice, because I did it once with my friends and once with my wife). Anyway, the LoTR style will be more appreciated where I am standing. Animation should support the real shots, not substitute.

I am proposing and "angry mob" movement of Tolkien fans against making the Hobbit look like a Futuristic Sci-Fi.
Nolwe ar alcar >> Wisdom and Glory! Wisdom is in words, Glory- in deeds.
All of this is personal opinion and understanding. For your own opinion read the books written by J. R. R. Tolkien.

golden_red

Hobbit Movie News

Post#57 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I liked avatar but not too sure about the hobbit being done in 3d, I feel it would lose some of its character.

Also, seems Del Toro isnt going to direct The Hobbit, but will finish off writing the script
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

Fornad

Hobbit Movie News

Post#58 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:22 pm

I was first quite shocked by this news, as I had grown used to the idea, and had been content with it since del Toro is a Tolkien fan himself.
All I can hope now is that the vacant position is filled by someone with real talent and a passion for Tolkien (though of course, the ultimate dream would be seeing PJ steering this ship again).
Any thoughts?

The Cheesey

Hobbit Movie News

Post#59 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I thought that Jackson and Del Toro were doing it together, Fornad.

Would you be happy to wait 17 more years for this to be finished, or This.

grondmaster

Hobbit Movie News

Post#60 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:30 pm

I hope everyone who reads our Frontpage News item to which the above link points read all the way through, especially the last line. :elfwink:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”