Hobbit movie postponed

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
ady

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm getting emails that The Hobbit movie has been put back.

Shooting was scheduled to start next year but it has now been postponed until 2010 - with the release day pushed back to 2012.

The reason for the delay is unknown.
If I get it confirmed I'll post it on the blog but at the moment its nothing more than rumor.

Otto's World

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:51 pm

That suggests that they're still in the conceptual stage, working out the adaptation from book to screenplay. And no wonder, if they're trying to make a second movie that bridges the Hobbit and the LOTR. Is that one going to follow Gollum's search to get the ring back and then all of Gandalf's and Aragorn's traveling and searching to trace the ring's (and Gollum's) travels? There doesn't seem to be enough material for that to make a movie. Or is it supposed to trace the whole history of the ring--taking the ring's-eye view, or Sauron's view? That sounds too ambitious.

Anyway, the director has said that it is way to early for people to be speculating about who will play this or that character, so I imagine that Fran and Phillipa and Peter are still sitting around tearing their hair out amid piles of paper and stacks of books.

Beren

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#3 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 am

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Christopher Tolkien lawsuit? That could be bad....

Arwen08

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#4 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:59 pm

NO! This isn't good. I don't want to wait that long. I hope that more info will come soon to explain this. ugh. not good. Well, at least The Hobbit is going to come out eventually. I just didn't think that it would take so long. Hopefully, it won't need to be postponed.

ady

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#5 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I agree it doesn't look good, mainly because no one is saying why its delayed. One minute you can't stop Del Toro talking about it and the next, silence.

It's either nothing but an internet rumor not worthy of an official comment or its bad..............

smshadow

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#6 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Has del toro even got the whole cast yet? I wasn't sure if he did. Maybe that could have been a reason for the set back?

I do hope the second movie has something to do with the council of the wizards, but at the moment from looking at the youtube link it looks doubtful seening as Christopher lee doesnt look so keen on returning to middle earth as Saruman the white, but he did say he would do the voice of smaug!! which is something! :D

I'm also hoping Viggo mortenson and lyv tyler will in the 2nd movie! maybe we will see more of the love, as arwen wasn't really shown in the lotr trilogy even though she was still a big part!

But I do hope the hobbit movies will start filming shortly! I cant wait to see there work this time! I just hope the work is as good as the lord of the rings trilogy!

Beren

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:34 pm

I don't think Del Toro has made any definite decisions on the cast. But I know there are some actors that are on a list for Bilbo. He just needs to narrow down that list. Of course, he's not telling ANYONE who is on that list. Not for now, anyways ;)

lothierial

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#8 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Beren wrote:I don't think Del Toro has made any definite decisions on the cast. But I know there are some actors that are on a list for Bilbo. He just needs to narrow down that list. Of course, he's not telling ANYONE who is on that list. Not for now, anyways ;)

I hope he anounces something soon!!! But we all know how movie directers can get when it comes to saying anything early especially when it's a movie as highly anticipated as this. As far as Bilbo goes I hope they cast someone with similar looks to Ian Holme (seeing as he was the first Bilbo and all). But I don't know of any actors that would look like him but maybe I'm just having a brain freeze.

ady

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#9 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:36 pm

TheOneRing.Net are quoting Del Toro saying there is no truth in the rumor.

Beren

Hobbit movie postponed

Post#10 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:04 pm

I hope that's true...

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”