Actors to play Bilbo

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
lothierial

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I was just thinking.... what actor would be best suited to play Bilbo in the Hobbit seeing as it is pretty much the most important role. I just can't seem to think of anyone who could recreate Ian Holme's Bilbo! And I thought he did a fantastic job but obviously he's a little old to play a young Bilbo in the eyes of most. Any ideas????

Gandalfs Beard

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm

I have heard that James McAvoy is under consideration. But maybe Ady has an update to share.

Gandalfs Beard

Beren

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#3 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 pm

I think that James could play the part very well, but idk about his looks. He is quite skinny and tall, and although they could change his on-screen height, I just don't think he has the "rotund" hobbit physique.

What does everyone think about Martin Freeman? Here's a pic where he looks a bit like Holm: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Med ... man460.jpg

Gandalfs Beard

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#4 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Frodo/Elijah wood didn't have the traditional Hobbit physique either. His younger image largely is formed on the Hildebrandt and Bakshi versions (which captured my own vision nicely). Anyway a chub suit would render that point moot. Thanks for the image of Martin Freeman. You are right, he definitely looks the part.

Gandalfs Beard

Beorn

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#5 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Hello, I would like to suggest an actor I think would fulfill what I had in mind as I read the Hobbit the first time; Nick Frost http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0296545/. I know that Nick Frost has played more comical roles, yet Bilbo doesn't start out all that daring or sure footed. I really want to see a round Bilbo, and I have no interest in watching a movie that shows Bilbo as a brave skinny hero right from the get go. I would rather see an American like Jorge Garcia play our beloved Bilbo Baggins rather then any skinny actor out there.

Gandalfs Beard

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#6 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks for the pic of Nick Frost. What excited me the most about that page though, is that Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are slated for roles in Tintin (have you updated your Tintin feed yet Ady?) I would prefer a British actor or at the very least someone who can perform an Excellent British accent like Elijah Wood. Passable is not good enough. Amanda Tapping on the new show Sanctuary can't maintain the accent for more than a couple of lines and far too many American actors are the same. Nothing takes me more out of a film than a bad accent. In Robin Hood, they barely managed to pull it off, the rest of the casting was so good that it made up for Costner's mild accent. They didn't force him to oversell a hammy accent, they just softened and shortened his vowels. But they will need much better to sell me Tolkien.

Gandalfs Beard

lothierial

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#7 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 am

I definately agree with Gandalf's Beard. It needs to be someone who can maintain a british accent if they aren't british. I liked that first pic. (what was his name having a brain fart!!!!) He looks as though he would do a good job.

finglas

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#8 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

How about Colm Meaney? He's older, but he does have that hobbit look, and Bilbo is supposed to be more settled when Thorin and Company appear. Maybe he isn't attractive enough, but he's a good actor (see The Van and The Snapper, in particular) and the romance in the movie is going to have to be focused elsewhere anyway.

Gandalfs Beard

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#9 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:52 pm

I really like the idea of Colm Meany. He's similar enough looking it wouldn't be distracting. And he's definitely "Hobbity" looking :lol: .

Gandalfs Beard

lothierial

Actors to play Bilbo

Post#10 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Colm Meaney would be good!! Definately has the "Hobbit" look about him! :D

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”