Romance in The Hobbit - book and movie

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
finglas

Post#1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Much has been written about the lack of a female character in [i:dnoc79eb]The Hobbit[/i:dnoc79eb] which presents some difficulty for Boyens and Jackson, particularly given the pressure from Hollywood for a love story to draw in a wider audience. I wonder what you all think about the possibility of using Bard or Beorn as the male romantic lead? Both seem to me to hold some potential. Both are part of the Battle of Five Armies and both have interesting backstories. Boyens and Jackson will have to create a female romantic in any case, unless they try to insert Arwen into the plot somehow. Or am I missing a female character with love story potential in Tolkein's book?

Gandalfs Beard

Post#2 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Hmmmm! That's a toughie. They don't really need a romance in the first Hobbit film as it will be geared more towards the adventure. But the lack of any female characters could present a problem I hadn't considered. (I wonder if they could do something with all those dwarves, but I suppose "purists" would be up in arms :lol: ). The second Hobbit film could have some more of the Aragorn/Arwen backstory.

Gandalfs Beard

Otto's World

Post#3 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Who has said that the Hobbit won't work without a love interest? On a website?

It's a journey story, which is plenty.

finglas

Post#4 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Well, if you look at what the studio insisted with LOR - that there be powerful women characters - it's hard to think they'll back off it for Hobbit. Look at the way the studio marketed the love story, and it pulled in tweens and teens who had no interest in fantasy, Brit Lit, or action movies. At the very least the studio marketing people will insist that a powerful female character play a significant role. Boyens and Jackson will have to invent that already. I think the studio will insist that invention include romantic interest, to broaden the appeal of the picture. I'm not saying I like it, but I think it is inevitable.

Beren

Post#5 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm

I think that Bard would be the only choice. It is against all my Tolkien beliefs to make Beorn in love. He's not that type of...creature. He's independent. He doesn't need anyone. Plus, are there any women skin-changers? I suppose Beorn had a mother, but Beorn...he's not the type to fall in love.

lothierial

Post#6 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:57 pm

I don't really feel that any romance has a place in the Hobbit. It just doesn't seem to fit in my mind. But I guess we don't live in a perfect world so they have to mess some things up so that they make all the money off of it possible! LOL. But if they have to put in a romance I agree with Beren that it should be Bard. Beorn just doesn't strike me as the type to fall in love either. He's just too independant to be tied down like that besides he is a skin changer and that could present some unforseen problems with a lover! ;)

Show

Post#7 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:51 am

For the LotR love story, and the other strong females, there was a ground work to use. Aragorn and Arwens full story was in the appendicies, and her added actions were not so much added in out of the blue, she more just sort of replaced Glorfindel and then had that role beefed up a little. So that's fine by me. Then there was Eowyn, who got to have a lot more action to her and a lot less love (the buried the love with Faramir.
As for the Hobbit, there is a love story right on through the entire tale! A hobbit and his table. Bilbo is in love with food! They even joke about it during the "Concerning Hobbits" opening of FotR as narrated by Bilbo.

Otto's World

Post#8 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 am

Ha ha!!! So they will give Bard a wife just to feminize Laketown a little more, and there will be lots of vulnerable children, but at Bard's house there will be lots of FOOD and bacon and tea and toast. Bilbo will be inspired to tears. So we'll have to destroy the dragon for the sake of saving cupboard comforts. Awesome. :lol:

LadyLegolas

Post#9 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm not entirely keen on a love story in The Hobbit. I like it how it is! But if they were to put one, my best bet is Aragorn/Arwen.

Show

Post#10 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 pm

I think this represents what is wrong when hollywood gets ahold of an idea. The assumption is that the movie needs a romantic storyline. I would argue it does not, what it needs is an emotional storyline. Why is passion for another person the only passion that hollywood assumes will sell?
Reminds me a rumor (I hope a rumor) that due to the success of The Dark Knight, hollywood is looking to make the next Superman movie darker and grittier. Dark worked for Batman, so it must work for superman! Nope, wrong again. This is a failure to work with the source material and keep the characters as who they are.
The lord of the Rings is not the Hobbit, or vise versa. Trying to put in a new, ungrounded storyline would greatly alter the work. They may have added much of Aragorn/Arwen's love tale into LotR, but the story was grounded in the appendicies. Tolkien wanted the storyline in but had difficulties working it into the rest of the narrative.
The hobbit? Yeah, not so much.
Who knows, maybe in a serious wack to our collective cerebrums they will show a love story with Denethor and his wife, to culminate with her death when Faramir is born. Making the viewing audience much more sympathetic for a character who hates his son so much in Return of the King. Perhaps not hate, but surely does not appriciate him. Love and loss, now that's a tale Hollywood can get behind.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”