Talking Trolls

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Bilbo's Riddle

Talking Trolls

Post#1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Not to knit-pick or anything, but after seeing all of the LOTR triliogy I notice how none of the trolls talk. However, in The Hobbit the trolls are able to talk. Any suggestions or comments to that.

I guess one thought I did have was that the trolls can talk, but only in their language which will kind of sound like the noice the trolls were makeing in LOTR. I just can't remember if the trolls had a conversation with the main charactors in the book.

Gandalfs Beard

Talking Trolls

Post#2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, in the films all the trolls were shown grunting or roaring in the heat of battle (or opening gates) as far as I recall :lol: . I'm guessing they'll talk in the Hobbit moies. Though they might converse in Trollish with English subtitles :) .

Gandalf's Beard

Eldorion

Talking Trolls

Post#3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:36 am

Trolls can speak in the book version of The Hobbit, and presumably in the book version of The Lord of the Rings, so this would be a case where GDT must choose between consistency with the source material and consistency with the movie he is making a sequel to (essentially). Or, I suppose, he could have a different kind of troll (not green, able to speak), and justify it that way. :roll:

Gandalfs Beard

Talking Trolls

Post#4 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Well, I don't think we really know if the Trolls in the films talked or not because they weren't seen in circumstances that required dialogue. It wouldn't surprise me or seem out of place to hear them speaking in a reaally deep gravelly voice, and in "Broken" English if not Trollish with English subtitles.

But you are right; we are probably likely to get a different variety of Troll with Del Toro putting his spin on things and adding to the diversity of Middle Earth 8-) .

Gandalf's Beard

jrjhoe

Talking Trolls

Post#5 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:07 am

I think the trolls in this movie will talk - just remember how Bilbo told in FOTR how the trolls were discussing how to cook them. They can be consistent with both the book and the LOTR films.

Show

Talking Trolls

Post#6 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Taking into account the books and the existing LotR movies, I come up with this distinction.

The three trolls we meet in the Hobbit are on their own. They are free trolls, if you will. The trolls seen in LotR are Work Horse/Slave types. In contrast, any human raised from birth to kill and maime for it's master doesn't not need to know the finer points of Dwarf stew. Their vocabulary was likely very limited as well.

As such we can imagine that three trolls living in the wilderness would converse and plan accordingly. Their body structure should closely resemble that of the LotR trolls, but clothing and outward appearances should reflect their lifestyle. The loilcloth of Moria or the armour of Barad-Dur do not find in the woods along the East Road.

lothierial

Talking Trolls

Post#7 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:25 am

I was thinking the same thing Show! But you beat me to the punch. Now if any of you have seen the Extended Edition of FOTR you may recall seeing the stone trolls and that is the image I am hoping GDT sticks with it is slightly different than what we see in Moria and Mordor trolls but the only real difference is that their lifestyle changes the way they look but they still have the same body structure as the other trolls and it should be the same with their speech. I'm thinking that they sound a little dumb with slightly broken english????

Show

Talking Trolls

Post#8 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm

If you think about it, it really is no different that what PJ had to do with the orcs. In Moria all we hear are shrieks and howls. Yet later we see and know that they are capable of speech. They simply do not choose do it when confronted with an enemy.

Gandalfs Beard

Talking Trolls

Post#9 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:21 pm

My point precisely Show. ;)

Gandalf's Beard

Light In The Dark

Talking Trolls

Post#10 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Well, nice to see you [b:2z4tl12i]GB[/b:2z4tl12i], too first off ;) .

Secondly, not all trolls are the same, and their are different races of Trolls, methinks. Perhaps there are not different Races, but there are certainly different tribes. The Trolls that Bilbo met were familiar with the ways of Men, and had many riches in Gold and Swords, and probably adapted to their surroundings, saying Men and Hobbits were close to their lairs. However, when Aragorn and Gandalf lead the Fellowship to Rivendell, you may re-call they pass by Troll Territory. These Trolls are not rich in Gold and Swords, as the other Trolls were back near the Shire, but are Vicious and it describes Bones and Skulls outside their lair.

This may be the case with Cave Trolls and Troll of Moria, that they cannot speak Common, but only their gutter-talk. And I do agree with [b:2z4tl12i]GB and others[/b:2z4tl12i] in saying that while having Arrows and Volleys shot at them, Trolls don't really have time to be having Small Talk with Gimli and Legolas :lol: ;) .

[b:2z4tl12i][i:2z4tl12i]LITD[/i:2z4tl12i][/b:2z4tl12i]

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”