HOBBIT SONGS

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Odo Banks

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:19 am

Should the songs in The Hobbit be removed from the Movie?

I must show my hand!

I love those songs: dwarves threatening to smash crockery; elves "tra la lalling" down in the valley; goblins whip-snapping; and don't forget "Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob"! Oh yes, and all those "little birdies" in those pine trees!

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#2 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Considering how well Jackson handled the singing, from pub "karaoke" Merry and Pippin style, to Ethereal Elf song, I don't see why not. It's already been established, so it wouldn't seem out of place to the non-book reading audience.

The only thing that might seem a little odd to people would be seeing drunken carousing Mirkwood Elves :lol: . People are more used to the "Vulcan" type of of Elves, all serious, Noble and compassionate, and just a wee bit Arrogant ;) . Not ones hunting and singing like Klingons :mrgreen: . That was why it was cool to have ol' Legolas getting down with Gimli and boozing it up :lol: . He was the Cool Elf 8-) .

GB

Odo Banks

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#3 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

This is sort of related, I think??? When the Wizard of Oz adaptation was made, a whole heap of songs were put into the movie. I did not come to the Wizard of Oz through the book, and in fact have been not able to get through it when I've tried, so the movie is all I know. I think it's a classic movie - probably my favorite movie of all. Some folk think it was just plain wrong - especially turning it into a musical! So I'm no Oz (the book) Purist (or Fundamentalist!)

Anyhow, this leads me to think about The Hobbit. As everyone knows, there are a host of songs (mostly comical) in the book, but ironicaly enough, I feel most of them won't make the movie version. If The Hobbit was made into (a bit of) a musical, would it become another Wizard of Oz? The Wizard of Oz whilst clearly something for children (as well as adults!) definitely has it's darker moments. One of its weaknesses in my opinion is that it apparently toned down some of its "scarier" bits!

What I'm getting at in my meandering way is, could The Hobbit stick to its originasl tone, with all its musicality, comicality, scariness and adventuresomeness, and become another absolute all time classic for all the family? I think so! We won't get it though - because its the Lord of the Rings now... (And, for the record, I don't agree with Tolkien: he got The Hobbit absolutely and perfectly right! Yes, I'm a Fundamentalist when it comes to The Hobbit)

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#4 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:44 am

As a wee laddy, The Wizard of Oz was one of the first films that I recognized as being different from the book it was based on. It was then I began to appreciate different versions of stories as long as they worked in their own right. Now the songs in Oz were particularly good, as were many musicals up through the early 70s. After that most musicals really began to suck :roll: .

So I can appreciate Old Musicals as a medium closely related to Stage Plays. But in terms of Realistic (or even Surrealist) Films, I really don't care for Musicals that try to bridge that Media divide. It just doesn't work. It's just highly unrealistic for people to burst into choreographed song and dance routines in every major event in their lives.

Therefore, I really would dislike a version of The Hiobbit that was presented also as a Musical in todays terms. A Stage Play on Film version, OK. But I would be Extremely Dissatisfied if that were the only version available. There are very reasonable ways to introduce the songs from The Hobbit book into the film, as Jackson did in LotR, without turning it into The Wizard of Oz.

Gimme my Realistic Hobbit Movie NOW :P (and you can have a theatrical musical version later :mrgreen: ).

GB

Odo Banks

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#5 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:07 am

And you'll get what you want, no problem!

I wasn't really strictly meaning a 'musical'. I just meant the songs could be included from the book. Yes, it would have to be done with meticulous care, but if done in the spirit of the book it could be stunningly successful. The lyrics are already written! Though carrying it off would be a major achievement, we know that. With all the money they'll be spending, surely they can get a songster and a choreographer who can help create cinema magic! (The Hobbit has it's own magic already). I'm serious. All we need is some Directorial bravery, the right amount of flair, and a degree of competence arising to genius! That's where truly great movies come from...

This movie will play safe as it can, and not be a disaster, and earn some impressive commercial success, but it will also miss a fantastic opportunity. Yes, GB, you'll get what you want, I did say that. A lovely dark, rather flat (sorry, safe!) prelude to the Lord of the Rings...

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#6 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:43 am

Hmmm! I see no reason the songs can't be incorporated as written in the book, lyrics and all. So maybe I just misinterpreted your point Odo :? . But you confuse me when you say "choreography", implying a song and dance routine in the Musical Tradition. Also by suggesting it could be like The Wizard of Oz.

I really enjoyed the way singing was handled in LotR. It seemed natural and unforced, and was completely integrated into the story, whether it was Sam adding his verse to the Elven Lament, or Pippin's jawdroppingly heartbreaking ballad :cry: , or Merry and Pippin's Booze Fueled Pub Song and Dance :mrgreen: .

A Musical Number on the other hand takes one completely out of a story. Everything stops for 5 minutes or so, while people sing dialogue at each other, and dance troupes invade the screen :lol: .

What if I pose the question this way: Do you want Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, or something more realistic that simply incorporates the actual lyrics from the book (which I would totally second if that's what you mean)?

GB

Odo Banks

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#7 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:29 am

Darn tooting I want the words from the book!

What I meant by choreography, refers to the movement of actors that will acccompany the words being sung. The singing might not even be accompanied by music - just voices - though I don't see why, if the right music was composed, it could not work beautifully. Actual 'dance' might be used when the goblins are mocking the poor folk stuck up in the trees they're setting on fire - who knows! Sorry, I used the word 'choreography', in the broadest sense.

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#8 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 am

Alrighty then! Sounds Great to me :mrgreen: .

GB

brado1

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#9 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Odo Banks wrote:Should the songs in The Hobbit be removed from the Movie?

I must show my hand!

I love those songs: dwarves threatening to smash crockery; elves "tra la lalling" down in the valley; goblins whip-snapping; and don't forget "Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob"! Oh yes, and all those "little birdies" in those pine trees!

Odo

Please, no songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

Gandalfs Beard

HOBBIT SONGS

Post#10 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! :lol: :lol:

Now that would be fun, a Techno/Rave version of the Hobbit :P .

GB

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”