How should Smaug look

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Lester Cat

How should Smaug look

Post#1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Real lizardy or real Del Toro-y .....................

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#2 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:40 pm

I think he should look like a dragon. We should accept nothing less!

Odo

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#3 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Dear Old Cat, I've been waiting impatiently for your come-back, but the waiting is killing me, so here is my latest light hearted but thoughtful response...

Please please please don't make Smaug look like a Hyena!!!

I realize on some forums triple exclamation marks are banned, but Dear Old Cat, there is a serious intent hidden beneath my whimsy, and I need to be sure you see just how exclamatory my exclamation was! I asume you know exactly what I'm getting at (you subtle feline you!), but this is so important I just can't take any chances!

Oh my goodness, haven't I seen heaps of dragon illustrations? Surely one of them might be used as a template! But please, no "whale-like lizards" or "lizard-like chimpanzees", or "dinosaur-like dingoes", or "hyena-like hyenas"! :x

Longface

I'm so preoccupied with upset and anger at the thought, I'm not even sure I spelt 'exclamation' or 'exclamatory' right...! :cry: :x

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#4 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:17 am

On a more serious note: I have a copy of The Hobbit (Fourteenth Impression 1972, Unwin Books) with a drawing by Tolkien on the cover. It's the one with Smaug being shot by the arrow over Laketown. I like Tolkien's Smaug and think it would be a good point of reference for the design team. There is a simplicity, and I love the long lithe tail. I know he's got big in his old age, but I hope DT doesn't make him seem too huge and heavy-seeming. I feel Smaug is sinuous and wily.

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

How should Smaug look

Post#5 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:22 am

Some of us discussed this months ago on the Voice of Smaug thread. My favourite picture of Smaug is the Hildebrandt Bros one. But I'm open to other suggestions. Here's the picture:

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/1085

Shane333

How should Smaug look

Post#6 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Personally I'd like a cross between the Hildebrandt Bros one and the one portrayed in the old animated movie of The Hobbit.

Lester Cat

How should Smaug look

Post#7 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:59 pm

The Hingeandbracket version is too fat, like a chubby pony..........
John Howe got him right i think...............
but fingers are crossed for an obvious man in a suit aaaiiiiieeeeeeeee........Smaug...there goes Tokyo.......

brado1

How should Smaug look

Post#8 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Odo Banks wrote:I think he should look like a dragon. We should accept nothing less!

Odo

Indeed!
personally i love Justin Gerard's version of Smaug

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d2XY6lj3CKo/SPVqqg7TQ8I/AAAAAAAAAYk/blGd6nmaAkM/s1600/smaug03b_e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_d2XY6lj3CKo/SPVu5lDl2xI/AAAAAAAAAZc/gJZY0i260XE/s1600/StM_v1_x09_e.jpg[/img]

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#9 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Nice, brado1! (Though where is the tunnel mouth, and that camera angle that will show Bilbo Smaug's jewel-encrusted belly?)

Oh GB, I imagine Smaug as large and sinuous, not bronzed and muscular! (T never mentioned anything about old Smaug going to the gym - and where would he have got the tanning lotion from?)

And, no, Mr Cat, I wouldn't have called Smaug chubby; and I don't think any dragon would like being called 'chubby'! Mind you, on second look, he does look a trifle gay... I wonder if old Smaug would find that suggestion offensive...?

Odo

Eldorion

How should Smaug look

Post#10 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 pm

I absolutely love the second picture you posted, brado1! 8-) I hope the filmmakers see and are inspired by it.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”