How should Smaug look

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Gandalfs Beard

How should Smaug look

Post#51 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Chinese Dragons are indeed known for their Wisdom and their Power, but they don't have the same associations with Evil, and Treasure Hording as they do in the West. In any case, Eastern Dragons are all wrong for Smaug. Tolkien clearly had in mind a fairly "tradional" sort of "Euro-Dragon" ;) .

GB

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#52 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh alright - but Chinese ones look good (sinuous and wily looking, if you know what I mean). But I wish folk would stop harping about evil, though. In the book Smaug was cruel and hungry and arrogant and covetous - but not strictly evil in the way we think of Morgoth or Sauron. To try and make him evil will take away his wryness and cunning. Purely evil creatures are nearly always dull - for they tend to make no sense.

Odo

Elladan

How should Smaug look

Post#53 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:24 am

Some minor problems with Chinese dragons. For a start they dont have wings, they dont breath fire. They are an amalgamation of lots of other animals, including camels, demons and snakes, which might seem a little strange for Smaug.

Also I have always felt that Smaug is evil, no offense to Tolkien but his main bad guys were normally genericly evil. Thats not to say other characters didnt have varying motives, plans and political positions. But the big bad guys i.e. Sauron and Morgoth were both in a position of "I want to rule the world, muahhahaha fear my huge armies of horific beasties". And as Smaug is a creation of Morgoth, as much as any Orc, Troll or Balrog, I would say that places him firmly in the intrinsically evil camp.

We could ofc argue that with out a master Smaug is free to do what ever he pleases, but it would appear Sauron was very confident he would be able to sway Smaug onto his side, and Sauron is not normally a blind fool who assumes he will always get his way.

Wither way I am interested to see how they tackle the colour. As he is said to be golden and red, so will we end up with a kind of pearlescent smaug that changes colour dependant on the angle, or will he have areas of red and areas of gold? Or maybe a kind of burnished gold colour all over.

Gandalfs Beard

How should Smaug look

Post#54 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 am

I actually agree with you totally about Dragons so-called Evil Natures Odo. Those associations are largely Theological. I don't see Smaug in the same category as Sauron at all.

I think you are both essentially saying the same thing Odo and Elledan, that EVIL is boring. No fear, DT won't let us down. Ady just posted part of a new interview with Del Toro on the subject on his blog.

Some good news, Warg fans. In that interview DT says Wargs will be Wolves, not Hyenas on Steroids :lol: . So I think Del Toro is listening to us ;) .

GB

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#55 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:00 am

Just read Del Toro interview on Smaug. Not once did he use the word 'evil'! He actually sounds like he admires Smaug as he is. You know the one I mean: the sinuous wry wily (not overblown) one Tolkien wrote about!

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

How should Smaug look

Post#56 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:08 am

Indeed he does Odo. Spooky eh. It's almost like he's reading our posts ;) .

GB

Odo Banks

How should Smaug look

Post#57 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:42 am

It is spooky.... wooooooo-ooooooo!!!

Odo

B'arelyn Dwarf

How should Smaug look

Post#58 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Hello all! I have been spending alot of time revising for examinations (of which was terribly boring) recently so I haven't posted for a while (I'm sure everyone using the forum noticed my absence and missed me very much ;) 'Who's Barelyn Dwarf?' I hear you cry!).

On the subject of Smaug, I hope Del Toro and the film crew keep to (as well as they can) Tolkien’s descriptions of him. I like your Old and Sinuous Smaug suggestions Odo :) , considering he's hundreds of years old, we don't want a baby faced Smaug :lol:, (can you imagine the audiences response at the cinema after them seeing Movie Smaug for the first time, if our movie expectations aren't as we hoped? `Bilbo made his way down the passage, he could feel the fiery breath on his face, when he was suddenly confronted with... the most adorable dragon he'd ever seen!' followed by a big 'awwww...he's so cute' from the audience!)

Seriously though I'm sure Smaug will look great, one feature I hope the production team will add, and one I imagined whilst reading, is whilst Smaug in sleeping, I'm hoping his breathing will tie in with his fire breath, i.e. When he breaths out through his nose, wispy smoke should recede from his nostrils. Fairly obvious one really :lol: but essential in some respects, he's got to feel right.

B'arelyn Dwarf

How should Smaug look

Post#59 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Btw just looking back, Chinese dragons aren't for me ;) , Bilbo's more likely to start dancing with a Chinese dragon and have an unexplainable but sudden urge to celebrate New Year (so this might be an option for fans who have a faint heart to push for :lol: ). , these dragons have lots of strangely human looking legs aswell from what I've heard ;).

Gandalfs Beard

How should Smaug look

Post#60 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:58 pm

It's great to have you back B'arelyn :mrgreen: . Yes, I did miss you. What with the disappearance of Beren and Show and a few others too, I was beginning to wonder what was happening :? .

It's cool that Del Toro is of the same mind as us on Smaug. I have a great feeling about this.

GB

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”