The Arkenstone and other designs for the Hobbit

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Galadriel's Mirror2

Post#1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:25 am

[color=#BFFFBF]Hello! This is my first post!!! :mrgreen:
I have been told that the arkenstone is actually a faceted stone but with artistic licence, every time i've read it I always imagine it the same way.

Basically, I imagine the arkenstone as if it were an albino palantir. Another way I usually describe it is by calling it an opal crossed with a palantir. Do you get what I mean? Unfortunately I can't draw, but i'm seeing someone that can, so I'll ask them to draw what I mean. [/color]

Joseph Dwarf

Post#2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Hello Galadrial's Mirror, I always imagined the Arkenstone a big diamond with some silver (as in the metal) edging, but I'm not sure whether my perceptions have any links to Tolkien reality or whether I've completely forgotten Tolkien's desciptions of it and I'm wrong :lol:.

Not much help that is it, but maybe you could expand on what you've said a bit and maybe you could post the picture?

Btw theres a New Memebers thread if you wanted to introduce yourself there :D.

new-members-3/

Joseph Dwarf as was B'arelyn Dwarf

Elladan

Post#3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:53 pm

I dunno I imagined it to be a kind of translucent pale Diamond that reemits a warm glowing white light. So it glows but only when a light is shining on it.

I cant picture a shape though, I just get a glow. It is supposed to be cut rather than rough though, so what cut would they use? I figure something symetrical.

Galadriel's Mirror2

Post#4 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 am

[color=#BFFF80]Hi!! I have the picture of the Arkenstone! :mrgreen: But I have no idea how to attach it!!! :? Can anyone tell me how? Although the drawing is very pretty, I think it might have a little too much, as I also said that the artist could include colour schemes similar to those of the first result you get when you search "fire opal" into google images. I personally believe that the Arkenstone is made out of Opalite, which makes it look like it glows from the inside, but with streaks of colour, especially violet/purple. I thououghly suggest you look at the pictures on google images until I can post the picture on here. [/color]

Tinuviel

Post#5 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 am

I always thougt it was like a green emerald.... but that's just what i imagined it would look like, not necccessarily wat Tolkein thought it'd look like...

Eldorion

Post#6 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:27 am

Hi Galadriel's Mirror2, welcome to the forums! See this thread - http://the-hobbit-movie.com/forum/photobucket-257.html - about how to upload images to Photobucket and then show them on the forum.

I imagined the Arkenstone as sort of a really big diamond with lots of edges that sparkled and almost glowed when light hit it and in sort of an ovaloid shape.

Galadriel's Mirror2

Post#7 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:08 am

[color=#00FFBF]Hey, thank you Eldorion for sending me the link!! so here it is!! [img]http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/the-hobbit-movie/Arkenstone.jpg[/img] I really want to see what your drawings look like! Please post them!! ;) [/color]

Galadriel's Mirror2

Post#8 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:10 am

[color=#00FFBF]So now you can see what I mean that maybe it has a little too much colour. But it's still pretty![/color]

Eldorion

Post#9 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:36 am

I don't really draw so I've got nothing to post. Your drawing looks very nice, though I can't say I ever imagined the Arkenstone looking so rainbow-coloured.

Galadriel's Mirror2

Post#10 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:11 pm

[color=#00FFBF]Yeah, I'd keep it more opalite.[img]http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx16/the-hobbit-movie/Opalite.jpg[/img][/color]

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”