Will the movies need to cater to fangirls?

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Eldorion

Post#1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:07 pm

I decided to post my response here so as to not super-de-rail the Legolas thread.

Gandalfs Beard wrote:If you want a Super-Mega-Blockbuster you need Fan-Girls

Well ... maybe. Let's take a look at the highest grossing films of all time to see for sure! :mrgreen: (Source: Wikipedia. I use it; sue me.)

1. Titanic (dear god that defines hunks/romance)
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (checks out)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (definitely checks out)
4. The Dark Knight (I dunno, does Christian Bale count as a hunk? :? )
5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (no hunks at this point in the series except maybe Alan Rickman but it's a once-in-a-generation phenomenon; it could be a valid exception)
6. PotC: At World's End (see #3)
7. HP: Order of the Phoenix (it's HP)
8. HP: Half-Blood Prince (see above)
9. LotR: The Two Towers (yup)
10. Star Wars Episode 1 (come on, it's freakin' Star Wars! Like the HP of the preceding generation)
11. Shrek 2 (ew ... I mean, I don't think it has any hotties)
12. Jurassic Park (I tried to scourge the memory of this movie from my brain with fire, can anyone help me on this point)
13. HP: Goblet of Fire (they start introducing romance here, plus it's HP)
14. Spider-Man 3 (never saw it but I think it has romance)
15. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (what the- okay, an animated movie)
16. HP: Chamber of Secrets (it's HP)
17: LotR: Fellowship of the Ring (yes, once again)
18. Finding Nemo (animated movie)
19. Star Wars Episode III (I'd say it has a romance, plus Hayden Christensen might be seen as hot)
20. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (I think this is a certifiable guy movie)

With the exception of Transformers I think it's safe to say that the super-mega-blockbusters are all either hunk/romance movies, part of major phenomenon, or else cutesie movies, preferably animated. I guess cutesie movies might be another variety of fangirl-bait, but in any event, point taken.

Eldorion

Post#2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 pm

I wonder if The Hobbit, as the follow-up to the LOTR films and of course being based on a Tolkien work could get by in the same way as Star Wars and Harry Potter; i.e., as part of a phenomenon rather than on the backs of its hunky actors.

I can hope, at least. 8-)

Gandalfs Beard

Post#3 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Eldo:
With the exception of Transformers I think it's safe to say that the super-mega-blockbusters are all either hunk/romance movies, part of major phenomenon, or else cutesie movies, preferably animated. I guess cutesie movies might be another variety of fangirl-bait, but in any event, point taken.

Exactly my Point ;) . Thanks Eldorion :mrgreen: .

GB

Odo Banks

Post#4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 am

What about us fanboys? Bring back Liv, I say!

Odo

Eldorion

Post#5 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am

I still think The Hobbit could get by on the name recognition without having too much fangirl bait. I hope at least. :roll:

Gandalfs Beard

Post#6 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 pm

I don't know :? . Do you think shirtless Dwarfs will be as enticing as the shirtless Werewolves of New Moon? ;)

GB

Odo Banks

Post#7 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:16 pm

If those shirtless Dwarves are women as body-doubles, as it's rumored they will be....????

Odo

Eldorion

Post#8 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm not sure if I'd rather they try to appeal to fangirls or 13-year-old boys....

Odo Banks

Post#9 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 pm

What about fifteen year old boys, or fifty year old men? Will they cater for us too?

Odo

NB There is a rumor circulating that Bilbo and Galadriel (as back story) have a fling which results in the birth of Gollum. Surely that would not be suitable for thirteen year olds, I mean to say!!! :shock:

Eldorion

Post#10 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

They probably assume the 15-year-old boys will go see Transformers (how else did it get over $800 million?) and the 50-year-old men will go see ... whatever you guys see. :D

Now where could such a horrible rumor have possibly come from? :P

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”