Thoughts on the new character, Itaril

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Fingolfin

Post#1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

"ITARIL - female, A woodland Elf, this character is one the Silvan Elves. The Silvan Elves are seen as more earthy and practical. Shorter than other elves, she is still quick and lithe and physically adept, being able to fight with both sword and bow. Showing promise as a fighter at a young age, ITARIL was chosen to train to become part of the Woodland King’s Guard. This is the only life she has ever expected to live, until she meets and secretly falls in love with a young ELF LORD. This role will require a wig and contact lenses to be worn. Some prosthetic make-up may also be required. LEAD. AGE: 17-27."

How does everyone feel about this? I for one am not too bothered by it as long as the love story is not brought to the forefront. They could really screw things up with this new character, or it could be a nice addition.

Eldorion

Post#2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Where does news of this new character come from? I'm rather suspicious that anyone would know of it with the film still in this stage of pre-production. Do you have a source?

Gandalfs Beard

Post#3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm

It comes from Ady's Blog, which this forum is attached to :P . It just appeared on my Homepage feed about an hour or two ago.

GB

Fingolfin

Post#4 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm just commenting on whats been put up on the website, theonering.net also put up the same story, so I feel like this is pretty legitimate.

Fingolfin

Post#5 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Turns out we may have been led astray again. This was just posted on theonering.net:
Update: After touching base with more of our contacts, we’ve been notified that this is not a valid list of lead roles and, in fact, some of the roles listed in the links are not relevant. Stay tuned here for more casting information as we get it, and rest assured we will follow every new story to confirm whether or not it is legit.

I can't even begin to say how desperate I am for something concrete!!

Gandalfs Beard

Post#6 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:34 pm

The Wild Internet Rumours strike again :roll: :roll: . Damn, I thought Itaril sounded Hot ;) .

GB

Odo Banks

Post#7 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 am

... and Bilbo joined in, but singing his own song:

"Oh Itaril, Oh Itaril,
Elf maiden oh prettiest of girls,
Oh pouting lips! Oh suggesting eyes!
With gem encrusted twirling curls;
Yes we remember, Oh we who dwell,
On the mortal side of the swell!
Oh Itaril, Oh Itaril,
Oh to meet you would be a thrill...."

Then the Hobbit fell silent, weighed down by the sheer implausibility of consumating his love. Forsooth! He feared he would swoon if one single further word ever came fom out his pursing lips.

Odo

Gandalfs Beard

Post#8 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:21 am

Awesome Odo :lol: . Now we know where the "Romance in The Hobbit" is going to come from. Bilbo and Itaril, the first Hobbit/Elf coupling. Their children will bring new meaning to the term "Half-Elven" ;) .

Indeed, they can Retcon Frodo's back-story. Frodo doesn't know Bilbo's secret, that Frodo is not his "nephew", but his illegitimate Half-Elven Love-child :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: . That's why he's so fond of Elves and why Galadriel finds herself so attracted to him (remember all of her "significant glances" and "secret smiles" at Frodo).

You know, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this Fan Fiction stuff :P .

GB

Eldorion

Post#9 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for mentioning the source guys. I'm relieved the character is not (yet) official though. Let's hope it stays that way and the female role they cast is just for voice acting. What was it Gandalf said? 'Only a fool's hope, as I've been told...' :P

While I don't like introducing new characters to the story, full stop; I'll have at least some relief if they refrain from making her like the nubile elf maiden at the beginning of Bored of the Rings! :lol:

Odo Banks

Post#10 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Spooky, guys!

My little snippet of prose and poetry comes from my planned fan-fiction novel, "BORED WITH THE HOBBIT" -
or: "In and Out Again - The Making of Frodo Baggins!"
or: "How to Woo an Elf-maiden if you're only three foot something."
or: "Hobbit Invents Step-Ladder."
(The choice of sub-title is quite fluid at the moment as you can see).

From "The Sindaran Dictionary for Dummies":- "IT-AR-IL'" := "It" = "Elf"; "ar" = "ooh", cognate of "wa-ooh"; and "il" = active particle of "nub'il'e". The particle "il" can also mean "not feeling well,especially in the morning" as seen in the dual-particle "[why am I] so-il"?

Odo

NB We're not taking this rumor seriously, are we? I want to. It's a lovely rumor. But surely we can't.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”