The Elves

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Odo Banks

The Elves

Post#1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:29 pm

A new thread seems as good a place as any to discuss the Elves in The Hobbit. Can I start off a conversation about all things Elvish by asking the following question:

When Elves in Rivendell are merry, how does this merriment manifest itself?

Eldorion

The Elves

Post#2 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Are you asking a question about how merriment manifests itself in the book, or how merriment should be manifested in the movie?

Odo Banks

The Elves

Post#3 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 pm

The book should be the template, don't you think? If so, how to film it? I'd argue they can sing their "Tra la lallies...." for a start, and it can be merry and a little cheeky, but NOT silly...

NB I'm not sure how well I designed my initial question, but I guess the above is the kind of thing I'm getting at. :?

pettytyrant101

The Elves

Post#4 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Well the elves in LoTR (film) were a right bunch of miserable sods, granted its a darker story full of melancholy about times changing but still. There a bit more upbeat about it in the book at least and you still get a fair bit of song and dance out of them so I'd like to see a bit more of that.
In TH its Thranduils unruly bunch of elves that are the fore so I hope they will take the opportunity to show them as being a bit more interested in having fun. However as they are an obstacle to the quest and even a threat to it I worry that instead the coven will represent them as being overly serious again.

Odo Banks

The Elves

Post#5 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Ah! Mr Tyrant, is that so. But what of Rivendell? JRRT lets us see a good glimpse of them and their lighter side. The Elves were among the trees, when Bilbo and Co arrive there. Their merry (joyous?) singing came from there, didn't it? I imagine shimmering shapes but light, wise, don't-take-me-for-Feanor-he-was-a-sour-cat voices merrily singing. It's a very welcoming kind of song. Light and easy. Their spoken words are chiding and aggravate the dwarves, but are not nasty at all, for the dwarves are hungry and tired and the Elves seem to know that. Their words are certainly not insulting and are archly welcoming as well. The Elves also cheekily warn them to be careful not to dip their beards in the water. (Careful GB, they might drop you in!) Can tall, beautiful, somewhat serious people behave in this lighter manner and not seem silly. Of course they can! The Elves are not cut from cardboard... well, yes, they are in the movies, but not in the book - especially not in The Hobbit! Infact, the Elves are more interesting in the The Hobbit than they are in LotR (the books). They're certainly merrier...

Eldorion

The Elves

Post#6 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Odo Banks wrote:The book should be the template, don't you think? If so, how to film it? I'd argue they can sing their "Tra la lallies...." for a start, and it can be merry and a little cheeky, but NOT silly...

The tra la la lallies are the goofiest part of the Elves, and as such I think they will be the first part to be cut. I suppose its possible their songs could be performed in such a way as to not be laughable, though I imagined them as being pretty silly. :D I hope for a very different sort of Elf in The Hobbit: less serene, less "wise", more human (in a way) and more lively (even the Elven music in LotR is very sombre and reserved). I highly doubt this will happen, but it's nice to imagine. :)

Eldorion

The Elves

Post#7 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 pm

pettytyrant101 wrote:In TH its Thranduils unruly bunch of elves that are the fore so I hope they will take the opportunity to show them as being a bit more interested in having fun.

I think the Elves of Mirkwood would be the best bet to show as lively Elves since we don't see much of them in LotR and it would be less out-of-place in the film pentology that is being constructed. Legolas (in the films) is not necessarily representative of his race, and the "Wood-elves" shown in FotR-EE might not have been from Mirkwood, or might have been from there yet still been light-hearted ... before the Dark Times, before the Empire.

Umm, I mean the second rise of Sauron. Yes, that's what I meant. :mrgreen:

Odo Banks

The Elves

Post#8 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Sometimes I'm a little taken aback by your vulgar thoughts, Eldo.

Eldorion wrote:The tra la la lallies are the goofiest part of the Elves, and as such I think they will be the first part to be cut. I suppose its possible their songs could be performed in such a way as to not be laughable, though I imagined them as being pretty silly.

I NEVER thought the Elves or their Song 'goofy' or 'silly'. Both came across as light hearted - yes! - but in a joyous welcoming way. The sheer delight of living in Rivendell and sauntering in the trees at twilight springs forth in their choir-like chorusing. If I were there, I'd sing like a nightingale alongside them, for the sheer joy of living - and being in Rivendell. Hells bells - why wouldn't you be merry? (NB I'd sing like a very masculine nightingale, though).

As to 'pentology' - wash your mouth out with soap. I shouldn't like to think language such as that is going to start creeping onto this forum.

Eldorion

The Elves

Post#9 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Odo Banks wrote:Sometimes I'm a little taken aback by your vulgar thoughts, Eldo.

You're one to talk. :mrgreen: ;)

I NEVER thought the Elves or their Song 'goofy' or 'silly'. Both came across as light hearted - yes! - but in a joyous welcoming way. The sheer delight of living in Rivendell and sauntering in the trees at twilight springs forth in their choir-like chorusing. If I were there, I'd sing like a nightingale alongside them, for the sheer joy of living - and being in Rivendell. Hells bells - why wouldn't you be merry? (NB I'd sing like a very masculine nightingale, though).

I've never really thought about the Elves that way, but I don't see why that couldn't be the case. I should really re-read The Hobbit (again) sometime soon. :geek:

As to 'pentology' - wash your mouth out with soap. I shouldn't like to think language such as that is going to start creeping onto this forum.

Sorry :P , just thinking about how something good might be salvaged.

Odo Banks

The Elves

Post#10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Oh! :oops: So it's not got anything to do with something else starting with p.e.n.....? :oops: My mistake! Anyone could have made it.

And, yes, read The Hobbit again, and open both your heart and your mind while doing so, that's my advice.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”