Orcrist - The Goblin Cleaver

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Ancalagon

Post#1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 am

Orcrist is said to be the "mate" of Glamdring. Does this mean it is of the same design? If so, it may be a little much for Thorin to handle since Glamdring is portrayed as a 47.5 inch (probably Thorin's height or greater) longsword in LOTR. How do you think the film will address this?

Eldorion

Post#2 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:56 am

I assume "mate" means that it was made by the same smith at more or less the same time, like the swords that Eol made (Aranruth and ... something; my Silmarillion isn't with me at the moment :| ).

pettytyrant101

Post#3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am

I can't remember off hand but does it mention anywhere in the books that Glamdring is a longsword (human long sword that is) would seem to make more sense if it and Orcist were dwarven longswords, making Glamdring just normal sword size for Gandlaf, which would be more practical for him given he tends to wander the lands a lot.

Ancalagon

Post#4 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:33 pm

pettytyrant101,

I should have been more specific, Glamdring is portrayed that way in the LOTR film

I believe Glamdring was an elven sword and actually belonged to Turgon son of Fingolfin. It is speculated that Turgon was so devastating with the sword During the Battle of Unnumbered Tears and/or the fall of Gondolin that this is why the goblins still know it. Orcrist is thought to have a similar history.

Ancalagon

Post#5 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:44 pm

If I could only get 5 minutes and about 3 wheelbarrows in that troll cave...

$$$

:--(-----------

pettytyrant101

Post#6 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the clarification. If its just the films then I see no other choice but to make Orcist smaller- perhaps implying they were made for one person to wield- one in each hand (in the films Gandlaf seems to manage Glamdring fine one handed).
However I've always seem them as being of same size and design, 'mates' in a similar sense to which ships have 'sister' ships -identical in most aspects.

Odo Banks

Post#7 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Ancalagon wrote:Orcrist is said to be the "mate" of Glamdring. Does this mean it is of the same design? If so, it may be a little much for Thorin to handle since Glamdring is portrayed as a 47.5 inch (probably Thorin's height or greater) longsword in LOTR. How do you think the film will address this?

If they're 'mates' perhaps Sting is their baby? :shock:

Joseph Dwarf

Post#8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:00 pm

If Glamdring is a longsword and Orcrist is a cleaver, doesn't this already mean they vary in size?

P.S. Glamdring didn't really have a very distinctive design I don't feel (not distinctive enough to notice on the movie-screen anyway), which is a shame because as Ancalagon said, if Glamdring is indeed the mate of Orcrist then the film-designing team have missed out here.

[img]http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CUC1265lg.jpg[/img]

J Dwarf

Ancalagon

Post#9 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:33 pm

JD,

The "Cleaver" part of Orcrists' name comes from the "rist" part (Orc[u:14ugc4pb]rist[/u:14ugc4pb])
"rist" is Sindarin for cut, thus Orc-rist = orc-cut
I imagine Tolkien chose the name "goblin cleaver" because it sounds cooler than "orc cutter," not because the weapon was actually a meat cleaver.

Another example can be seen in the knife Ang[u:14ugc4pb]rist[/u:14ugc4pb] the "iron cleaver"

Ancalagon

Post#10 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

pettytyrant wrote,

"perhaps implying they were made for one person to wield- one in each hand"

That's a very interesting idea, I've never thought of it like that. Or maybe, not that these were both used at once, but perhaps something similar to how the Japanese samurai had the large and small katana pairs. (Sorry I'm not very familiar with these swords and their specific names)

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”