CATCHAT FOR TOLKIEN NERDS

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Odo Banks

Post#1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 pm

What cats have got to do with The Hobbit, I may never know, but here you are guys. :roll:

pettytyrant101

Post#2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:05 pm

I always thought the descriptions of Gollum (and parts of his personality) were quite cat like!!

Odo Banks

Post#3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Was it those eyes in the dark, pray tell? He was also lithe and quick and cruel (if you replace 'goblin' for 'mouse'!)

Eldorion

Post#4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:14 pm

If I have a complaint about Tolkien, it's that he didn't like cats. :x Read about Tevildo or Queen Beruthiel to see just what he thought about the cute little creatures. How could he? :cry:

Odo Banks

Post#5 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Toliken had his reasons I'm sure... :ugeek: I wonder if he had curtains too...? :?

Eldorion

Post#6 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:21 pm

You know, that would actually make a lot of sense. :lol: 8-)

Gandalfs Beard

Post#7 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm

What WAS it with Tolkien and Lewis's portrayal of cats :? ? The only cats that ever featured in their stories were always either evil or untrustworthy :x .

The curtains theory has some merit I suppose :lol: . But I wonder if it has anything to do with any vestigial remnants of masculine supremacy that they may have had. I have always considered Tolkien and Lewis as far more forward thinking than many other Men (Conservative and Otherwise) of their era on that subject. Yet, perhaps the Medieval attitudes towards cats as being familiars to Witches (remnants of the Old Religion) rubbed off on them.

GB

pettytyrant101

Post#8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 pm

That's something I'd never considered before GB.
The way cats were treated in middle-ages was really quite shocking. There was a Scottish island, can't actually remember which one (I really should look these things up!) that once a year got as many cats as they could lay hands on and slowly roasted them to death on a fire, in the belief that as they were servants of evil the appalling wailing they made as they suffered and died would drive serve as a warning and frighten away other evil spirits. The very thought horrifies me, and I spent a lot of time on a farm as a child hand rearing lambs then loading them onto the slaughter van, so I'm not a leaf eating type, but to think people did that sort of thing makes the blood run cold. Humans- who'd be one!

Odo Banks

Post#9 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Not I, indeed, dear Mr Tyrant, not I. I'm glad I'm not related to the species! :D I've heard about a Scotsman named Sims, though. Apparently, on hearing how tasty cat was when cooked within a thin sheaf of flour dough, he cooked a few. Grilled them, no steaming or deep frying, dim fellow. One of those Village Idiots, perhaps, GB? Poor old dim Sims!

Gandalfs Beard

Post#10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, me too Odo and Petty :( . Sometimes I really understand where Elrond/Agent Smith/V is coming from ;) .

I'm waiting right now for my kitty to come and try sitting on my keyboard as I post :mrgreen: . That should cheer me up.

GB

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”