Goodbye GDT

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Fingolfin

Goodbye GDT

Post#1 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:26 am

I'm sure you've heard by now that Guilermo Del Toro is no longer directing The Hobbit. This is a pretty big letdown. Who knows what kind of delays this loss could cause as well. We might not even be looking at a 2012 release anymore. It's really disappointing and frustrating because it could have been so great but MGM had to drag the whole thing down with it's poorly run, orc infested company. I know it will still be a great movie no matter who takes over as director, I hope PJ just does it himself, but it's really sad to see GDT go and not have his idea of middle earth realized. Suggestions for new directors? How do you feel about PJ taking the reins?

Gandalfs Beard

Goodbye GDT

Post#2 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:50 am

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

See Article in link above.

I only have one thing to say, and not with my usual sense of decorum: [size=150]FRAK MGM[/size] :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GB

Odo Banks

Goodbye GDT

Post#3 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 am

"Ding dong
the Wicked Warlock,
the Wicked Warlock,
ding dong,
the Wicked Warlock is gone!"

Oooh. I think I just channelled! :shock:

Gandalfs Beard

Goodbye GDT

Post#4 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:06 am

You don't know what you're talking about Odo. With Del Toro leaves the best chance of getting a film that doesn't wander too far from Tolkien's story (White Council notwithstanding). His Artistic outlook made him about the only director around that could have balanced the shifting tones. If we're lucky, maybe Terry Gilliam will step in.

GB

Odo Banks

Goodbye GDT

Post#5 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 am

Terry Gilliam would be all right, providing he has read (and loved) the book. Del Toro always worried me because he did not like Tolkien in his early days. A leopard does not change his spots. I enjoyed Time Bandits . I don't know, but if Gilliam respects The Hobbit he will do a reasonable job. Indeed, his sense of humour might allow him to see Tolkien's method in The Hobbit with a clear eye and give him perspective without trivializing things. I think he would be braver than Jackson. Brave enough to film it properly. Unlike Jackson, he would be intelligent enough to respect and trust the classic story he is working with. Dare I dream?

Gandalfs Beard

Goodbye GDT

Post#6 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:42 am

Del Toro may have been a Late-comer to The Hobbit, but that was due to perhaps some cultural mis-perceptions (believing TH to be a "Kiddie" book). Once immersing himself in the material, I think he realized how perfectly Tolkien's outlook matched his own. He was adamant in interviews about keeping beloved characters like Beorn, and he had that instinctive touch for balancing colourful whimsy and darkness, without succumbing to trivialization or over-weaning sentimentality (you HAVE to see Hellboy 2 and Pan's Labyrinth). He is the only director in a generation that I think could have matched the best of Gilliam.

We can only hope Gilliam signs on :mrgreen: and MGM goes down in flames :twisted: , selling the rest of the Rights to New Line and Warner Bros so they can get on with it.

GB

Odo Banks

Goodbye GDT

Post#7 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 am

Perhaps I could buy the Rights. I have the Right attitude to make the movies... I might get Mr Tyrant to forward a few pennies...and I'm sure you would not mind a Right adaptation, GB, once you were shown what one was! :D Maybe this is better news than even I thought! 8-) (....err.... is there anything you Don't like in The Hobbit, GB - it's an important question - to Rightists, that is?)

pettytyrant101

Goodbye GDT

Post#8 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 am

Ive got mixed feelings on this one, I'm sure its all part of the plan, but I liked GDT. Pan's Labyrinth showed he could do this sort of material and PJ directing again- well we know how that goes sadly.

Eldorion

Goodbye GDT

Post#9 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am

I've never seen any of GDT's movies, though his dark fantasy background did not exactly fill me with hope. However, I was glad that he reached out to fans as much as he did. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who'd like to have a go at The Hobbit, and PJ doesn't seem to expect delays, though.

I can definitely understand why GDT has left. I'm glad that this thread isn't full of people mourning him as if he had died like some forums are. :P

Gandalfs Beard

Goodbye GDT

Post#10 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Erm...I practically held a wake for Del Toro. :?

GB

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”