Clues to the Hobbit

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Eldorion

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#1 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:03 am

TORn story about auditions for the role of Primula Baggins (nee Brandybuck).

We have no idea at all if this actress will get the part but it does give fans a few clues:
  • The part of Primula is in, providing a few hints about preserved pieces of the plot
  • Auditions and casting are active, prepping the production for official pre-production
  • It gives us an idea of what type is being sought for Primula and an approximate ‘Hobbit’ height

At least something is happening.

Odo Banks

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#2 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am

Curious and curiouser...

Gandalfs Beard

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#3 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah, I caught that at OneRing too Eldo. Some positive info in my book.

GB

Odo Banks

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#4 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:15 am

I don't remember any Primula Brandybuck/Bagginses in The Hobbit! I smell a rat! Is the OneRing business a joke of some sort? (Actually, I didn't know there were any Primula Brandybuck's until Wisey met one - and that's just spooky! Is there something weird going on?)

Gandalfs Beard

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#5 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 am

Primula Brandybuck, Frodo's mother. When I suggested ideas for how the films might be directed, I proffered the notion that a young Frodo might be present, perhaps being told the story of Bilbo's adventure. Methinks Del Toro and Jackson may be thinking along the same lines, and even showing a bit of Frodo's backstory with Primula and Drogo Baggins. They might even show their drowning and leaving Frodo in Bilbo's care. Depends on how they tell the story.

GB

Odo Banks

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#6 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:00 am

Aaaarrrrrrrghhhhhh! Frodo wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when Bilbo set off, was he? And how the hell do we segue a Frodo-family-history into The Hobbit? A frickin' Prologue???? Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Eldorion

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#7 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm

I've always been rather fond of the 'telling a story to his nieces and nephews' idea, especially as it could possibly be used to justify to uninitiated audiences the more fantastical elements of The Hobbit, but I don't think showing Frodo's parents drowning would work with that. Unless ... they were going to do continual cutting back and forth from the main tale and the storytelling time, like The Princess Bride but with longer breaks. Then again, TPB was more or less a comedy, so I don't think that model would work for The Hobbit.

Gandalfs Beard

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#8 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I was thinking they might most likely be brief cut-scenes rather than extended sequences--much like the few very brief scenes with Isildur in LotR--not much more than a few minutes altogether really. If so, it's not really worth anyone getting their Purist knickers in a bunch :roll: .

And as Eldo says (and I've always said), the technique of telling the tale through Bilbo's "narration" to his nieces and nephews (including Frodo) would be the best way of segueing the distinctive tone of the Hobbit into the larger world of LotR.

GB

pettytyrant101

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#9 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 am

Its yet another unnecessary complication. Why can't they be satisfied with adapting what Tolkien wrote, why this constant need to stamp their own distinctiveness and story telling on top of it? (And killing it in the process).
TH is not about Frodo, has nothing to do with Frodo. Tolkien had not even begun to conceive of Frodo when TH was written and published. I have no problem with Primula making an appearance as Bilbo's sister, perhaps at the auction at the end but no story time should be given over to setting Frodo up. It is unnecessary.
If they had adapted LoTR properly and included the conversation in the Ivy Bush with the Gaffer the audience would already know all about Frodo!! So maybe if they just stuck to adapting what's written it would all be a lot better.

Odo Banks

Clues to the Hobbit

Post#10 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 am

The voice of Reason never so lucid!!! :D

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”