The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Odo Banks

Who should Direct the Hobbit?

Post#1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Who should Direct the Hobbit? :D

pettytyrant101

Post#2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Me obviously. Surprised you had to ask Odo.

hail manwe

Post#3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:30 pm

:lol: :lol:

Won't we need a list ?? ;)

Gandalfs Beard

Post#4 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Theonering.net conveniently started a list for us :mrgreen: .

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/06/01/36951-who-will-helm-the-hobbit/

Of the people on that list my choice would be Sam Raimi. He knows New Zealand and has a good track record for Fantasy with shows like Xena and Legend of the Seeker. Not to mention he's a deft hand at balancing humour and drama.

GB

Odo Banks

Post#5 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:03 am

I think Mr Tyrant should Direct the movie! :D ...But if for some reason he is not available - I wonder who our back-up should be? :ugeek: Don't know this Raimi chap though... Xena, hey....? Bilbo as Sword Maiden? :?

Gandalfs Beard

Post#6 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 am

Sam Raimi is also known for Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness, a Satirical Fantasy that has elements of Harryhausen films, Darkman, and the Spiderman films. Very versatile director, able to blend humour, fantasy, and serious drama. He has a Graphic Novelists approach to visual style. And he single-handedly changed (for the better) Hollywood's approach to filming Superheroes, and comic-book style films in general. But it's his experience on Xena and Army of Darkness that makes me think he'd be a good choice. But Gilliam is still top of my list with Sam Raimi right behind him.

GB

pettytyrant101

Post#7 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:17 am

Not sure on Raimi GB- for me Army of Darkness is not a patch on Evil Dead 2 for inventive directing (or comedy/horror) and Darkman was awful. Spiderman was 'safe' (although this perhaps displays an ability to work to the brief- not always a bad thing).
I'm racking my brains on this one and will have to give it some thought (in case for some mysterious reason I don't get the call!).

Gandalfs Beard

Post#8 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:57 pm

You've GOT to be kidding Petty. Army of Darkness was the best of the Evil Dead bunch (though it ditched the Horror Genre for Fantasy), and Darkman was BRILLIANT! When I saw it I realized that it was the film that Burton's Batman WISHED it was. And Safe is hardly the word I'd use to describe Spiderman. :roll:

There's plenty of other directors out there, some of them listed on the link I posted. Thoughts on any of those? Alfonso Cuaron maybe?

[b:12cx7ndi]GB[/b:12cx7ndi]

pettytyrant101

Post#9 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Maybe its because Army of darkness wasn't a horror/comedy that I particularly didn't like it- but certainly at the time as an evil dead fan it seemed like a betrayal and a poor attempt to make the franchise a more mainstream palatable 'Hollywood' film. And Darkman seemed to be a continuation of this 'selling out' completed with spiderman (and Darkman has some of the worst green screen since black and white films).
For me PJ and Raimi have something in common- they were both more inventive and original without a budget than with.

Odo Banks

Post#10 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't like Super Hero movies (other than The Incredibles - and Super Hero Movie) so Raimi is OUT for me already. Gilliam is sounding good - great at mocking Englishness, though might tend to excessiveness with the comedic class-humour - so I have my reservations - but Time Bandits was not excessive - so I have reservations about my reservations. What about some period movie maker? I think here more the Pride and Prejudice type - not the Braveheart type (err...feel a bit sick just thinking of the Braveheart type actually.... eeeerk...) I'm Serious about the Pride and Prejudice bit btw. I did not care, overall, for PJ's gungho approach to battles btw. A lot of killing, but who really cared who got killed? (Except for Theoden's death - I didn't mind how that was done). Thorin's death scene was more important to me than his heroism. I hope they don't turn him into a fallen Super Hero. Oh my God! Not Raimi then! :shock:

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”