Blomkamp for director!?

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Eldorion

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#1 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:24 am

I've been saying he'd be a good choice from Day 1 (of the post-GDT speculating), so I'm rather pleased by this development, even though it is not an official announcement! Very interesting though.

TORn (the most reliable source for this sort of news)

In short we know from lots of sources:
1. Jackson doesn’t want to do it
2. He wants somebody he trusts and can be sure of
3. Casting is happening now
4. Pre-pre-production is happening now
5. MGM and Warners need a talent in place yesterday
6. The platform for making a big genre splash announcement is approaching
7. The schedule fits with rumors from many sources
8. Many spies are sounding similar notes
9. One tells us they have seen the film breakdown with Blomkamp directing

Eldorion

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#2 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am

pettytyrant101

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#3 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 am

For those, like myself, who thought this might be a thread about foreigners with vaguely amusing sounding names here's his resume from wiki;

Feature films
District 9 (2009) (writer, director)

Short films
Tetra Vaal (2004) (director, visual FX)
Alive in Joburg (2005) (director, visual FX)
Yellow (2006) (director, visual FX)
Tempbot (2006) (director)
Halo: Landfall (2007) (director)

Commercials
Nike - Crab (2003)[7] / Evolution (2004)[8]
Citroën C4 - Alive with technology (2004)[9]
Gatorade - Rain (2006)[10]

Other credits
Stargate SG-1 (1998) (3D animator)
First Wave (1998) (3D animator)
Mercy Point (1998) (3D animator)
Aftershock: Earthquake in New York (1999) (3D animator)
Dark Angel (2000) (lead animator)
Art of Dying music video - Day Survive (2001) (director, visual FX)[11]
3000 Miles to Graceland (2001) (lead 3D animator)
Smallville (2001) (3D animator)
BV-01 (2005) (special thanks)
Best Ever Ads 2 (2006) (himself)
Crossing the Line (2008) (additional director)

Recognition
2004, First Boards Awards - "One of the top five directors to watch"
2004, Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival - "Saatchi & Saatchi New Directors Showcase"
2004, Shark Awards (shortlisted)
2005, VES awards "Outstanding VFX in a commercial" for Citroen - Alive with technology
2008, Cannes Lions 2008 - Film Lions- Grand Prix - Halo: Combat
2009, Nominated - Satellite Award for Best Director & Satellite Award for Best Adapted Screenplay - District 9
2009, Nominated - Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay - District 9
2009, Won - Bradbury Award from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America - District 9[12]
2010, Nominated - Academy Award for Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - District 9 (Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell)

Now in terms of feature films he seems a mite short on experience- I think this might be a good thing personally as its a similar resume to how Ridley Scotts looked when he got the Alien gig. And not unlike Russell Mulcahy's resume either when he made the first (and only good) Highlander film.
Blomkamp seems to me a better choice than the Harry Potter bloke.

Tinuviel

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 am

It's good to have a rookie at the helm I think, because then they're more inspired to make a name for themself and/or they're more about making a good film rather than making a reptuation, because they don't really have one. I'm really excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gandalfs Beard

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#5 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:36 pm

I still haven't seen District 9, but by all accounts he would be a great choice.

Not to mention that Blomkamp fulfills the requirements for a director that is willing to play ball and go with what has already been developed.

GB

Fingolfin

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#6 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 am

I feel the same way, I think he's a really great choice because of his ability and lack of leverage in changing what they have already completed in terms of pre-production. As long as there isn't any shaky camera like in District 9, I'm happy.

Gandalfs Beard

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:28 am

The "shaky camera" thing is cinema verite, designed to give a film a gritty documentary feel: a "you are there" kind of experience, a sense of realism. As such it would be out of place in a traditional Fantasy setting.

GB

pettytyrant101

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#8 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:59 am

Actually GB I can think of one or two places in TH where the shaky cam feel might work. When the party is surprised by goblins in the cave would be one and the bumpy barrel ride being another. Dale as Smaug torches it could be another place for it.
One of my favourite uses of the shaky cam is in RoTK (see I don't think its all bad-just 90% bad) when Gandalf is riding back after leading the sortie to Faramir and the camera swings in behind, bouncing away as if on horseback and we see Minas Tirith home into view. Short but lovely shot.

Eldorion

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#9 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:25 am

PJ actually used similar shaky camera tricks witth LotR. I'm a fan of cinema verite in general, and it works very well with the realistic/plausible fantasy model of filmmaking used in LotR. I would like to see a similar subtext of realism in The Hobbit to show that despite the fantastical children's story, it still takes place in a very real world.

EDIT: I didn't notice it, but petty's RotK example is one of the same ones I was thinking of.

Gandalfs Beard

Blomkamp for director!?

Post#10 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I agree. It's perfectly acceptable to use "shaky cam" for a first person perspective, even in a Fantasy film, as long as it's not over-used.

GB

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”