Is Jackson going to direct?

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Gandalfs Beard

Post#1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 pm

A couple of articles strongly suggest that Jackson is in negotiations to direct The Hobbit films. After the Blomkamp fuss, I am taking this with a huge grain of salt:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/06/25/peter-jackson-in-negotiations-for-the-hobbit/

GB

Tinuviel

Post#3 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:48 pm

A friend just told me that Jackson was going to direct, but I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not because, well, I would say I know a bit more about those matters than he does... :roll: :lol:
But I guess I have some more reason to believe him now. I'm kind of dissappointed. I really wanted to see another take on it. :cry:

pettytyrant101

Post#4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Eldorion

Post#5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I love how that second article assumes that all 'Middle-earth fans' would be excited about this. Even strictly in the movie fandom (excluding purists) there are plenty who want to see a different director. :roll:

In any event, it's just more unnamed sources and "insiders". I know I got all excited over Blomkamp, but these reports are coming from news outlets without established reputations in Middle-earth news.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#6 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:43 pm

I think a single consistent vision for this iteration of the "series" is an awesome thing :D . Just wait 20 or 30 years and someone else will eventually tackle it too. Who knows, maybe in the future it'll be a Petty and Tinuviel production.

GB

Paul Erickson

Post#7 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Peter Jackson would be FINE as the director. Sure, there were elements of LOTR that I didn't like (Gimli as farting comic relief, catapults that defied physical law, no Tom Bombadil), but overall it was great. Way better than any earlier efforts: Bakshi's LOTR, or Rankin & Bass's The Hobbit and their ROTK.

I always prefer "the devil you know." The good elements of Jackson's LOTR were so very, very good (the Balrog, Hobbiton, the goblins, Galadriel, the music, the art direction), I would love to see him direct Tolkien's stories again.

Come on, Jackson! Let's go! I've got a parody I need to sell!

pettytyrant101

Post#8 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:50 am

Sorry Paul just can't agree. From your list I would respond the Balrog was done well (but not the collapsing staircase build-up to it or the lack of the beater of drums), Hobbiton was the wrong lighting and the wrong fauna and would have looked much better filmed in England, the goblins are fine in FoTR but grow steadily worse as PJ introduces his mutants idea into the mix (Gothmog-just terrible), Galadriel was fine but Lothlorien is the opposite of how its described in the book and she looses to much dialogue in the Mirror scene (plus a quality actress could have pulled off her speech without the need to revert to special effects to get he point across), the music has nothing to do with the director, nor does art direction.
So I am afraid even your list of good points about PJ directing fill me with annoyance!

Eldorion

Post#9 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 am

I see your point, GB, but I have to disagree as I feel The Hobbit should not be made into merely 'LOTR: The Prequel' and should maintain its differences. That's looking less and less likely though. Still, PJ is capable of at least producing enjoyable films, when he can keep his impulses under control.

Tinuviel

Post#10 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:04 am

And who knows? maybe PJ wants to change his method of shooting Middle Earth? I'm sure he was unsatisfied with how he left some things, or maybe wants to do them differently. I hope he's learned from his mistakes and is ready to try something new.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”