Golden moments in the Hobbit?

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Ringdrotten

Post#1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:47 pm

So, you already have one for the LotR movies, but what about the Hobbit? Obviously it's not out yet, but what golden moments do you expect/wish to see when the movies finally (hopefully) hit the cinemas?

I for one think that Thorin's last stand should be fairly golden, certainly suited for film. And, knowing Jackson's style, this is perfect material for him. Bilbo and Thorin's last talk together is even more perfect for Jackson, if the LotR movies are anything to go by. Though, this is assuming Jackson will be the director, which I guess is still not confirmed.

Odo Banks

Post#2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm

If they film it through a Purist lens there will be no end of Golden Moments.

I'm looking forward particularly to the scenes with the songs in. How they're handled will make or break the film. Without them --- well, I've never even hinted at this before, but I think the movies will be shite without them, an arrant insult to all Tolkien Purists. :geek:

Eldorion

Post#3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:00 pm

The only Jackson films I've seen are LOTR and King Kong and I'm not convinced of his ability to convey emotion without dramatic close-ups and extremely obvious musical cues. I'll be ready to cringe when Thorin's goodbye comes up, though it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised.

As for Golden Moments, I have hope for the Barrels Out of Bond scene. I think that would be a great visual shot as well as a part of the story, and it has no fantastical elements to be ruined (like the spiders or Beorn's animals).

Eldorion

Post#4 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Odo Banks wrote:I'm looking forward particularly to the scenes with the songs in. How they're handled will make or break the film. Without them --- well, I've never even hinted at this before, but I think the movies will be shite without them, an arrant insult to all Tolkien Purists. :geek:

As a Purist ... *sighs* 8-)

chris63

Post#5 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Like the way Gandalf manipulates Beorn into believing he started his adventure with a couple
of Dwarves then ends up with 12. Beorn doesnt like Dwarves so Gandalf introduces them 2 at
a time, thus keeping Beorn interested in the story and not to bombard him with a throng of
Dwarves all at once. Funny and clever ;)

Ringdrotten

Post#6 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:03 am

Eldorion wrote:The only Jackson films I've seen are LOTR and King Kong and I'm not convinced of his ability to convey emotion without dramatic close-ups and extremely obvious musical cues. I'll be ready to cringe when Thorin's goodbye comes up, though it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised.

That's one way of seeing it I suppose :) Still, even though they are dramatic close-ups with obvious musical cues, I quite like them :)

When Bilbo sees the treasure and Smaug for the first time should be quite good as well, hopefully they'll do both Smaug and the treasure justice visually.

pettytyrant101

Post#7 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 am

The troll scene. I loved that scene as a kid and its the first direct danger Bilbo is put in. I fear it requires a belief in the written material to pull off on film and PJ doesn't have that if LotR was anything to judge by.

Eldorion

Post#8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:04 am

Ringdrotten wrote:That's one way of seeing it I suppose :) Still, even though they are dramatic close-ups with obvious musical cues, I quite like them :)

To each his own! :) It really is a subjective matter, as is a lot of art.

When Bilbo sees the treasure and Smaug for the first time should be quite good as well, hopefully they'll do both Smaug and the treasure justice visually.

Definitely! And that's a place where I have to agree that music has it's place, though hopefully it wouldn't be too loud since Bilbo's still trying to sneak around. Maybe a soft soar to the theme?

Ringdrotten

Post#9 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:17 am

Eldorion wrote: hopefully it wouldn't be too loud since Bilbo's still trying to sneak around. Maybe a soft soar to the theme?

That's a good point. Before reading that I might've liked a loud score, perhaps one similar to the scene where the Fellowship get their first look at Dwarrowdelf. After reading that though, I think some low music would help set the mood much better for the rest of the scene. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Paul Erickson

Post#10 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Talking wargs! Talking giant spiders! Fourteen songs! It would be SO MUCH FUN if these iconic elements of book could show up in the movies. I'm sure I'll enjoy the movies regardless, but I would like to see the differences in style between The Hobbit and LOTR as books show up as differences in style in the movies, too. If the movies in the Harry Potter series can differ in style and still all be successful and cohesive, the same can be done with Tolkien.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”