Closing Scene

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
wgrolfson1

Closing Scene

Post#1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 am

I could see, at the end of Hobbit, Gandalf driving his cart over Brandywine bridge while the credits begin then, as a last scene, after the credits, encountering Merry and Pippin as he enters Hobbiton and says to them, as he rolls by, "Get Ready".... then Merry and Pip trade perplexed looks. The End.

Eldorion

Closing Scene

Post#2 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum, wgrolfson! :D

Being someone who treasures the differences between The Hobbit and LOTR, I would prefer the ending of the book: Bilbo and Gandalf together in Bag End, with Bilbo living there happily. :)

pettytyrant101

Closing Scene

Post#3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:03 pm

You should send that ending to PJ and the Coven they would most likely love it!

Ringdrotten

Closing Scene

Post#4 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Hehe :lol: I agree with Eldorion, the ending should be like it is in the book. Don't forget about Balin though, Eldo! :D

Baron Ironfang

Closing Scene

Post#5 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Hehe :lol: I agree with Eldorion, the ending should be like it is in the book. Don't forget about Balin though, Eldo! :D

You are being too familiar :shock: with your betters; you address him as Sir Eldorion, he has been knighted you know. :roll:

Ally

Closing Scene

Post#6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 pm

For the few closing scenes I want the journey back to The Shire (plus the digging up of the trolls treasure) and the looks of disbelief as they see Bilbo heroically arrive home at BagEnd. Then for the last scene before the credits, I want Gandalf and Balin to knock on the door, and Bilbo to invite them in. Perfect!

Ally

Closing Scene

Post#7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Baron Ironfang wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:Hehe :lol: I agree with Eldorion, the ending should be like it is in the book. Don't forget about Balin though, Eldo! :D

You are being too familiar :shock: with your betters; you address him as Sir Eldorion, he has been knighted you know. :roll:

How much is Eldorion paying you for this? :D

Eldorion

Closing Scene

Post#8 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Good point 8-) - it's been a while since I read TH.

Ally wrote:
Baron Ironfang wrote:You are being too familiar :shock: with your betters; you address him as Sir Eldorion, he has been knighted you know. :roll:

How much is Eldorion paying you for this? :D

Nothing. :? I actually like the nickname Eldo. ;) And all I did to get knighted was lock the Baron in a dungeon, which I really don't get!

wgrolfson1

Closing Scene

Post#9 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Ok. I like Ally's end scene. My idea was just a segway into LOTR with a little Merry and Pip cameo. I got the idea after seeing his MTV interview thingie..... Maybe, in Ally's scene, Balin walks in first as Gandalf turns around and looks into the valley of Hobbiton and says, "Get Ready", then turns and follows Balin in where Balin and Bilbo are already in joyous greeting. The door closes with a close-up on Gandalf's mark. Roll credits....?

pettytyrant101

Closing Scene

Post#10 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:03 pm

wgrolfson1 how would Gandalf know they were going to get involved at all?

If PJ had stuck to the book then conceivably this 'ending' could take place right before Gandalf meets Frodo at the start of FotR and after Merry had set up his investigations into the Ring and tried a bit of 'wizard wheedling'.

But as Merry and Pippin stand in PJ's version there is no way for Gandalf to have any reason to assume they would become involved. They just go along with Frodo after a chance meeting.
For Gandalf to have known that it must have been a preordained event and the physical Gandalf can't see the patterns that clearly.

What you have Gandalf saying to Merry and Pippin wgrolfson1, 'Get ready' is to direct and implies he has foreknowledge of what is to come, undermining all the uncertainty he displays afterward.

In your revised version with Balin who would Gandalf be saying 'get ready' to?
Can't be Merry and Pippin they won't be born for at least 30 more years.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”