About that imminent greenlight

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Eldorion

Post#1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:45 am

Empire Online wrote:“We’ve seen these reports before, reports saying there was going to be a greenlight in a couple of days — well, a week’s gone by and there isn’t one," adds Jackson. "You can’t believe everything you read. There is only one thing you want to believe and that’s when the studio announces a greenlight. As far as I’m aware that’s not going to be today."

Funny, I think I said something similar to that in the "PJ takes gloves off" thread a few days ago. :mrgreen:

Ringdrotten

Post#2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:58 am

Next time I'll try not to get my hopes up :lol: TORn needs to stop shouting wolf!

Eldorion

Post#3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 am

In a way I can't blame them: they've completely rebranded themselves as a Hobbit News website, so if there isn't real Hobbit news they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to keep updating their front page. So yeah, it's probably best to be skeptical when the TORn reporters get into excited fanboy mode. :P

Tinuviel

Post#4 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Somebody told me that MGM filed bankruptcy and that spyglass was going to buy them. I'm so out of the loop I don't know what's true or not! He also said that PJ's asking for 500 million dollars to shoot the movies. I can only guess what that will mean.....

Eldorion

Post#5 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:34 am

I think the Spyglass-MGM deal was confirmed, but the implications of that for The Hobbit aren't fully known yet. As for $500 million, I haven't heard that, but it would make them some of the most expensive films ever made.... Avatar was about $300 million for one film, I believe.

Odo Banks

Post#6 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:10 am

The movie could be done for a quarter of the price if they stick to the simplicity of the story and forgo excessive CGI and set making! Keep it simple, I say.

Ringdrotten

Post#7 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 am

Odo Banks wrote:The movie could be done for a quarter of the price if they stick to the simplicity of the story and forgo excessive CGI and set making! Keep it simple, I say.

I agree, I hope they keep the CGI to a minimum. Some CGI is needed though, Smaug being one example. But yes, no excessive CGI, as little as possible, please!

Gandalfs Beard

Post#8 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:51 am

It's not "how much" CGI, it's "How well" it's done. I don't care how much CGI is used if it pushes the envelope of realism.

GB

Ringdrotten

Post#9 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:54 am

Well, that's a good point. CGI is ok, as long as it doesn't look like it's CGI. Like Gollum, obvously there's lots of CGI there, but very smoothly done

Edit: At second thought, Gollum looks very CGI, but not in a bad way if you know what I mean, it's all very smoothly handled :)

Eldorion

Post#10 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:31 am

I'm glad that PJ used real models and miniatures as much as he did with LOTR, because I think it lends a greater feeling of coherence to the film since it isn't just actors standing in an empty green room. I recall from the EEs Elijah Wood commenting on how hard it was to do a single scene with a greenscreen; now compare LOTR to the recent Star Wars movies which had greenscreen in just about every single shot. :roll:

That said, CGI is definitely important for some parts and is definitely useful in portraying fantastic elements or massive armies or rich backgrounds.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”