Christopher Lee to return as Saruman

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Eldorion

Post#1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

Ringdrotten

Post#2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am

Great! :) It'll be interesting to see how Saruman will be portrayed this time. Think I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see some more "nice Saruman" scenes, I love the scene where he greets Gandalf in FotR :)

pettytyrant101

Post#3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 am

Agreed this is good news. Does anyone know if he relented on his 'no New Zealand stance' or has PJ relented and agreed to shoot the WC stuff elsewhere?

Odo Banks

Post#4 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Have you warmed to the White Council, Mr Tyrant?

pettytyrant101

Post#5 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 am

No- I still think it will be an unholy mess- but it would have been even worse had they gone ahead with it with someone else as Saruman. And I know what a huge Tolkien fan Mr Lee is and have some small hope an actor of his reputation and calibre might be able to occasionally turn to PJ and say 'you need to change this its nonsense Tolkien would never have written that.'

Gandalfs Beard

Post#6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Yay, Christopher Lee. :mrgreen:

GB

pettytyrant101

Post#7 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 am

Just curious but is Lee confirmed or not?
In the link Chris provides on the Frodo thread it says that; 'Orlando Bloom and Christopher Lee are currently in negotiations.'
And that article is dated Jan 18th 2011.

brego

Post#8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm

It appears that filming of the great Mr Lee will be done in the UK as he is now unable to travel long distances.  Perhaps Mr Lee will film his role and then have his image digitally added in film.  I imagine his role in some cases will be quite physical as the White Council scenes will undoubtedly contain some tough action scenes knowing PJ...

As with the fight between Saruman and Gandalf in TFOTR film faces can effectively be added to body doubles in costume.

I wish Mr Lee good health and luck and love in his now fading years.  He is truely one of the greats of the last and this century!  Its astonishing that he was appearing at the same time in two of the biggest fantasy film serries ever made as two of the most dangerous and well played characters (Saruman and Dukoo) ((spelling))  This alone would be impressive enough he also played a fabulous series of villains including Dracula in his youth!

Oerath Windsoul

Post#9 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 am

Sir Lee is the only suitable actor to play the part of Saruman, but as brego already said, the man's very old.

But I still know that he will do the most perfect acting.

By the way, since we're talking about Sir Lee here, let it be mentioned that he's a very good narrator and has worked with a power metal band, Rhapsody of Fire for a long while, shame that the band kind of broke up, but he managed to work with them throughout the most of their career. The most notable songs, where you can hear his magnificent voice, are: The Mystic Prophecy of The Demon Knight, Unholy Warcry (Epic Edition) and Magic of Wizard's Dream, among many others.

Enjoy.

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

leelee

Post#10 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:22 pm

Sir Lee is incredible and his background amazing. His father a lieutenant won honors in two wars, and his mother was a countessa, fabulously beautiful and painted by many great artists. Their family name on mama's side went back to first century a.d. and the family crest was allowed by the then pope to be carried into the holy land.

Christopher Lee was also one of few who, along with some friends actually went to the pub that our professor Tolkien frequented and one time he was there. He regaled one and all for quite a while and Lee much enjoyed listening. So he had a great sense of what Tolkien would have liked and how he thought on some things.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”